Running Clock

Ronster23

12 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I haven’t liked it anytime we’ve seen it used. 

Theres so few actual high school games in ones’ career. Just feels like it’s wasted away with a running clock.

Depends on weather or not you want to get beat by 100 or 60. 

It does the team no good if the other team can score every time they get the ball and the other team is three and punt. 

• Like 1

My first inclination is to say no.  Then I remember looking at the San Augustine vs Hull-Daisetta halftime score of 55-0, and think, maybe there is a time and place for everything.

And to be honest, I have no idea if they used it last night or not, but probably.  And a question - Who decides to use it?   Is it the Refs decision, or do the Coaches have to agree?

13 minutes ago, Hagar said:

My first inclination is to say no.  Then I remember looking at the San Augustine vs Hull-Daisetta halftime score of 55-0, and think, maybe there is a time and place for everything.

And to be honest, I have no idea if they used it last night or not, but probably.  And a question - Who decides to use it?   Is it the Refs decision, or do the Coaches have to agree?

I’m definitely for it. And coaches have to agree to use it. Usually the refs will ask the coach if it’s ok and then they will use it. 

I can see it being used at times...but I don't think it should run say after a touchdown, through extra point, and all the way the the next kickoff...heck too much time runs off.

And it should be stopped on penalties while officials talk for 3 minutes deciding what to call. 

Now, during the action yes...don't stop on first downs, incomplete passes, or out of bound plays.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ronster23 said:

I can see it being used at times...but I don't think it should run say after a touchdown, through extra point, and all the way the the next kickoff...heck too much time runs off.

And it should be stopped on penalties while officials talk for 3 minutes deciding what to call. 

Now, during the action yes...don't stop on first downs, incomplete passed, or out of bound plays.

+1

11 minutes ago, Ronster23 said:

Now, during the action yes...don't stop on first downs, incomplete passes, or out of bound plays.

That's how I've always seen it done....

Definitely more sensible at small schools than 6A. Small schools may only suit up 20-25 and without doing crazy things(punt on first down) winning team probably will still score a bunch of points on the other team without a running clock  

In 5A-6A, you might get some even play with 3rd teamers on winning team against 2nd teamers on losing team. 

9 hours ago, Ronster23 said:

^^This

Prefer it to the "Mercy Rule" concept that gets bounced around from time-to-time.

Hate to call the game and go home after one series into the 2nd Half.

At least with a running clock, backups get a chance to perform.

It is a surprise to most, but the NCAA does have its version of the Mercy Rule.

By mutual consent, both coaches can agree on reducing the time for each quarter (ie-for the second half) down from fifteen.

There have been recent cases where the time was reduced to ten minute quarters, but most often twelve is used.

They do not allow, or have a provision for, a running clock though.

Related:

The question often comes up like "Why would Lamar want to play Texas A&M?"

Answer: 650,000 reasons.

"Why would Texas A&M want to play Lamar?"

Look for it to become more of a trend since "Redshirts" are now able to play in four games without losing a year of eligibility.

So why would A&M be willing to pay that?  Well, normally ticket prices are the same whether playing Alabama or Lamar ...

and a win versus Lamar puts them one step closer to bowl qualification ... and going to a bowl repays a lot of that.

• Like 2

I'm for it because of the injuries that can occur in a meaningless game.  If the game has been decided, then let the clock run and let everyone who is healthy get out of there healthy.  As a coach, do I like being on the losing end of it? No.  But I do understand its necessity.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:43 AM, Eagleborn said:

I am. Speeds up unnecessary. Been on both ends of it. 

To think, Silsbee wanted running clock all game vs SH. Lol

That had to be the ULTIMATE in embarrassment for Silsbee.  Asking SH if they wanted a running clock "just in case"?  Spring Hill commenced to put a whooping on the Tigers.

By the way, I'm with DOB on this one.  I see no reason for a "mercy rule", but I like the running clock option.  Yes, it's embarrassing to the losing team, but at least you can say you went 4 quarters with them.  The winning team gets substantial PT for the subs, too.

22 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

That had to be the ULTIMATE in embarrassment for Silsbee.  Asking SH if they wanted a running clock "just in case"?  Spring Hill commenced to put a whooping on the Tigers.

And game still got called early because of weather I believe.