UIL Realignment 2019-21

Panther89

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bordertown said:

not sure, commenting on if they do. Seems you what an East & a west district. Roads are better north/south in my opinion. Only schools that are easy drives for Texarkana in the scenario presented are Sulphur Springs and Greenville (while driving through Mt Pleasant). 

Yes, I agree with that

12 hours ago, Rabbs63 said:

Why is NB so concerned about Atlanta numbers?  What has Atlanta done in football since the drop?  They have a really good basketball team at the moment, a good baseball team at the moment and always had good track program.  The girls had State Champ track team. It’s not like Atlanta is dominating 3A.  At best, they are competing!

Didn't Atlanta go to regional final last year?

To me this is one of the best times of highschool football. Obviously playoffs are the best. But this is fun to me to try and figure out where everyone will land. I haven’t come close in the last few. But here are some early predictions from an old football guy 

New Diana Queen City goes up lands with 

Jefferson atlanta new Boston Queen City and Tatum. 

Hooks Redwater Hughes springs come down 

harelton up 

Hughes daingerfield hooks ore city harelton pewitt Dekalb 

west rusk drops 

EF Waskom Troup Arp Winona West Rusk

not sure about a few that could shake it up 

Garrison Frankston Harmony Alba golden Quitman I didn’t see there #. So ????? But it’s a fun start. Let me hear ur thoughts 

16 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

It’s adjusted every two years. About like the average stay of HCs since Evans left. 

Ain't that the truth ... wonder if another Dr. Hook strike is on the horizon?

Sad ... feel for the  kids - they deserve some type of consistency.

If I was guessing, I would say the seduction of the facilities, which are fabulous, is being replaced by the reality and focus of the operational budget ...

and a desire at the top to consolidate the power base away from the field house.  But that is purely an opinion of an outsider.

One thing I can say for sure, though, is that the people of the town ALWAYS support their kids.  Regardless of change, that has been consistent and a constant.

And that's the way it should always be ... in the end, it's about the kids - or at least it should be.

hook.jpg

2 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

Didn't uil fool people about 8 years ago and drop the cutoff from the previous cycle? Like they caught everybody napping or somthin.. Seems like they did that once.. 

Don't believe it has happened in this decade ... maybe 2008 but my brain is getting old ... about the same time the economy shifted and the number of students enrolled in Texas high school began to increase steadily and a number of large school districts added new HS as a result ... since the appearance of 6A the trend is just about always up - although the lower classes have not changed a great deal.

This is a little off topic but, I for the most part on this website anyway, I see that most of the alumni and fans are happy about a potential return back to Class 5A. I am NOT happy about a return to 5A whatsoever, especially when we are only short like 3.5 students! I like competing at the highest level, period. 

So here are the questions due to the separation of enrollment count from the early graduation and whatever other L.I.S.D. alternate campuses.

1.) If, a student attends Early graduation High, are they subsequently ineligible to participate in Longview I.S.D. athletics?

2.) If, the answer to the aforementioned question is NO, then why in the hell are we not counting those numbers to the U.I.L. as they clearly are legitimate numbers that affect your depth chart in football and any other Longview I.S.D. related sport!!??

Yeah... the drives from Texarkana to Corsi and Ennis are brutal..... but the drives for Marshall, Hallsville, and PT to Ennis and Corsi at comparable..... Nac too TBH.  But at least Nac has a history of being with them in the recent past.

Personally... I'd rather see Ennis and Corsi either go to a DFW 5A district or head down I-35.... that way no one in East Texas is heading that way.

So lets get rid of Corsi and Ennis all together and see what we have:

8-5A
Texas High
Greenville
Sulphur Springs
Forney
Kaufman
Terrell
Mount Pleasant

9-5A
Marshall
Hallsville
Pine Tree
Whitehouse
Jacksonville
Nacogdoches
Lindale

How's that look?

30 minutes ago, Quick said:

This is a little off topic but, I for the most part on this website anyway, I see that most of the alumni and fans are happy about a potential return back to Class 5A. I am NOT happy about a return to 5A whatsoever, especially when we are only short like 3.5 students! I like competing at the highest level, period. 

So here are the questions due to the separation of enrollment count from the early graduation and whatever other L.I.S.D. alternate campuses.

1.) If, a student attends Early graduation High, are they subsequently ineligible to participate in Longview I.S.D. athletics?

2.) If, the answer to the aforementioned question is NO, then why in the hell are we not counting those numbers to the U.I.L. as they clearly are legitimate numbers that affect your depth chart in football and any other Longview I.S.D. related sport!!??

Man I hate loopholes, just complicates everything.

Anyway, the way I understand it, we count LEAD. But not fully. Those who are part time students/early grads aren't fully counted and I think we may have even had students who fit that criteria on the main campus as well. None of which would be much involved in extra curricular activities. 

As for what I prefer between 5A and 6A, love me some 6A and the competition. But if we drop, I'm cool regardless...is what it is. We know we can compete regardless of class. But the non district has to be top notch. We know we have Temple Wk 1 next year so that's a good start. West Monroe was a 2 year agreement but the only way we keep them is if we land in another 7 team and below district. Willing to bet with drop, we land in 8 team district leaving us with 3 non district games.

I'd like one more respectable 6A opponent for wk 2 or 3, but that would mean dropping Marshall or LP which I'm not necessarily against but, we all know the chances of dropping one or both of those games are slim to none no matter what we want. Shoot I'd take Temple wk 1, insert respectable 6A wk 2 and LP wk 3....scrimmage Marshall or Lee and be done with it. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

It’s been a long time but Texarkana has been in A district with Nac before.

1989 was the last time.

Going back to the BIG 5A district that was together for so long.....

Longview, Pine Tree, Marshall, John Tyler, Tyler Lee, Nacogdoches, Lufkin, Texas High

Pine Tree dropped in 1988
Texas High dropped in 1990
Marshall and Nac Dropped in 2002
Longview, Lufkin, and JT have yo-yo'ed between 5A and 6A since 2008-ish
Lee is the lone constant in East Texas for being in the largest classification... and even their numbers are getting close.

Crazy to think..... the last time all 8 of us were together.... it probably only took an enrollment of 1100-1200 to be in the largest classification.  Now it takes almost 2300 to be in 6A.  Suburban sprawl has completely changed the face of the largest class.

When was the last time a truly urban/inner city school won a 6A (5A prior) title?  I'd have to look it up.  

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

1989 was the last time.

Going back to the BIG 5A district that was together for so long.....

Longview, Pine Tree, Marshall, John Tyler, Tyler Lee, Nacogdoches, Lufkin, Texas High

Pine Tree dropped in 1988
Texas High dropped in 1990
Marshall and Nac Dropped in 2002
Longview, Lufkin, and JT have yo-yo'ed between 5A and 6A since 2008-ish
Lee is the lone constant in East Texas for being in the largest classification... and even their numbers are getting close.

Crazy to think..... the last time all 8 of us were together.... it probably only took an enrollment of 1100-1200 to be in the largest classification.  Now it takes almost 2300 to be in 6A.  Suburban sprawl has completely changed the face of the largest class.

When was the last time a truly urban/inner city school won a 6A (5A prior) title?  I'd have to look it up.  

Desoto and North Shore still have kids that live in what’s considered the city of Houston and Dallas....if that counts. I know some of them. 

I don’t think we should play next season and I actually wanted to go back to Longview next season before all this happened. I think we have a good chance to end the streak next season. Buttt... If we have 5A numbers, I’m expecting the UIL to have both of our districts playing early, which means Green will be calling two or three plays instead of the regular six. I’m just....ugh though. Dang it Longview. Couldn’t give us at least 4 seasons in 5A by ourselves. Y’all were supposed to be making noise for the Pines in 6A, you know Bigred boys can’t do it...😒🤣

• Mr. P changed the title to 🚨 SNAPSHOT DAY 🚨
2 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Desoto and North Shore still have kids that live in what’s considered the city of Houston and Dallas....if that counts. I know some of them. 

Meh.... I mean more like
DISD (Carter, Skyline, Lincoln)
HISD (Yates, Lamar, Madison)
San Antonio (Brackenridge, Edison)
Austin (Bowie, Anderson, Travis) or Even Forth Worth (Dunbar, OD Wyatt)

Been a while..... Carter 1988 is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

35 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I don’t think we should play next season and I actually wanted to go back to Longview next season before all this happened. I think we have a good chance to end the streak next season. Buttt... If we have 5A numbers, I’m expecting the UIL to have both of our districts playing early, which means Green will be calling two or three plays instead of the regular six. I’m just....ugh though. Dang it Longview. Couldn’t give us at least 4 seasons in 5A by ourselves. Y’all were supposed to be making noise for the Pines in 6A, you know Bigred boys can’t do it...😒🤣

Let big red tell it, they going to state THIS YEAR..... smh

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Meh.... I mean more like
DISD (Carter, Skyline, Lincoln)
HISD (Yates, Lamar, Madison)
San Antonio (Brackenridge, Edison)
Austin (Bowie, Anderson, Travis) or Even Forth Worth (Dunbar, OD Wyatt)

Been a while..... Carter 1988 is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Winning it without cheating?

Yates 85. believe they went back to the ship in 92 losing to Temple. 

Houston Lamar had their chance in 2012 against Allen but couldn't do anything with it. Skyline had some teams that went on runs when Samples was there but never touched the state game. 

Now, when talking inner city...it gets a little tricky when talking about Houston since its a multi ISD city. NS/Dekaney/Westfield aren't HISD but they are in Houston city limits. I mean tell a person in Aldine ISD they aren't inner city and they'd probably look at you funny lol 

Lot of people would count Highland Park as inner city.

10 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I mean tell a person in Aldine ISD they aren't inner city and they'd probably look at you funny lol 

Lot of people would count Highland Park as inner city.

I had a friend at ETBU.... 

Mailing address was Jersey Village
But he graduated from Aldine EIsenhower
Phone Number said Melrose Park
If you asked him where he was from..... Houston.

Go figure.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

Here is some more info on teams moving into or out of 5A Div II that could affect East Texas

Cleburne, Midlothian, and Red Oak are all projected to move up to D1.  The trouble is...  Cle and Mid are in district 5.... which is a MASSIVE 9 team district that spreads from Aledo, to Waco, to Seguin (San Antonio).  Meanwhile Red Oak is in an 8 team DISD district (District 6).

Texas High seems to be a Wildcard moving down to 5A-D2

But Kaufman is likely to drop to 4A-D1. Crandall is probably moving up to 5A-D2

Could something like this be possible?

8-5A
Texas High
Sulphur Springs
Marshall
Hallsville
Pine Tree
Lindale
Mount Pleasant
Greenville

9-5A
Nacogdoches
Whitehouse
Jacksonville
Forney
Terrell
Crandall
Ennis 
Corsicana

There is a possibility that Corsicana and Ennis could go to the DISD district that Red Oak is Vacating... OR to that massive Aledo district..... then send Greenville and Sulphur Springs to DFW D2 districts.... and you could build a massive East Texas D-2 district:

Texas High
Mount Pleasant
Marshall
Hallsville
Pine Tree
Lindale
Jacksonville
Whitehouse
Nacogdoches

That actually looks kinda fun...lol.

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

Man I hate loopholes, just complicates everything.

Anyway, the way I understand it, we count LEAD. But not fully. Those who are part time students/early grads aren't fully counted and I think we may have even had students who fit that criteria on the main campus as well. None of which would be much involved in extra curricular activities. 

As for what I prefer between 5A and 6A, love me some 6A and the competition. But if we drop, I'm cool regardless...is what it is. We know we can compete regardless of class. But the non district has to be top notch. We know we have Temple Wk 1 next year so that's a good start. West Monroe was a 2 year agreement but the only way we keep them is if we land in another 7 team and below district. Willing to bet with drop, we land in 8 team district leaving us with 3 non district games.

I'd like one more respectable 6A opponent for wk 2 or 3, but that would mean dropping Marshall or LP which I'm not necessarily against but, we all know the chances of dropping one or both of those games are slim to none no matter what we want. Shoot I'd take Temple wk 1, insert respectable 6A wk 2 and LP wk 3....scrimmage Marshall or Lee and be done with it. 

A Marshall scrimmage may be more beneficial to both schools than playing in the regular season... I could see a "sold out" scrimmage atmosphere :p 

On 10/24/2019 at 12:15 PM, lionpride08 said:

Franklin could be dropping back down as well but it will be close... Been d1 by about 10-20 kids

Your situation could be interesting if you do drop. Lived in Palestine for a long time, so am familiar with the area.  Question, do they fold you into district 8 which has Rogers and Lexington or do they carve a little. You are close to Anderson-Shiro and Buffalo. Notice last few alignment Uil has chosen an East-West alignment in 3A in your area.