SFA Basketball 2019 - 2020

RETIREDFAN1

2 hours ago, Coach0001 said:

Nothing is surprising with Hooten at the Helm

The orange faithful are already looking forward to baseball lol

The announcement that you can watch Bearkat baseball and enjoy a cold one late last week made it even more exciting 

I actually like Hooten a lot. I think he is the best x's and o's coach in the Southland, just has trouble motivating...

Either way, the second season of SHSU athletics is starting now with baseball here. Enjoy...

SFA avenges their only SLC loss and knocks off A&M Corpus 75-67 in Corpus...The win clinches a spot in Katy for the Jacks

Now a week for the Jack's to get healthy as they have hit their second bye this Saturday. Next up is Central Arkansas in Nac on Wednesday

10 hours ago, topher805 said:

SFA avenges their only SLC loss and knocks off A&M Corpus 75-67 in Corpus...The win clinches a spot in Katy for the Jacks

Now a week for the Jack's to get healthy as they have hit their second bye this Saturday. Next up is Central Arkansas in Nac on Wednesday

4 wins clear of 3rd place with 6 games remaining. Just get a top 2 seed and I feel really good about the Jacks going dancing.

1 hour ago, TxFight said:

4 wins clear of 3rd place with 6 games remaining. Just get a top 2 seed and I feel really good about the Jacks going dancing.

Win both games next week (vs. UCA; @ UIW) and we have at least a first round bye...These are statistically our easiest two remaining games. 

13 hours ago, cotton84 said:

If Duke stays in the top 10, I think 7 more wins gets us in the dance. 

No way the SLC gets 2 teams in. SFA is 85th in the NET rankings. The next closest is Nicholls at 185th. Had SFA been undefeated...maybe. Had SFA not lost to A&M CC...maybe. But 1 marquee win (and don't get me wrong, it was a BIG win) is not going to get SFA in over the teams that are currently on the bubble. 

22 minutes ago, TxFight said:

No way the SLC gets 2 teams in. SFA is 85th in the NET rankings. The next closest is Nicholls at 185th. Had SFA been undefeated...maybe. Had SFA not lost to A&M CC...maybe. But 1 marquee win (and don't get me wrong, it was a BIG win) is not going to get SFA in over the teams that are currently on the bubble. 

My bad.......I didn’t know that the NET rankings was what the selection committee went by.

17 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

My bad.......I didn’t know that the NET rankings was what the selection committee went by.

It's not their sole factor. They still go by the eye test, injuries etc etc as well. But the NET was basically built with the approval of everyone in NCAA basketball and is a pretty good determinant of where your team stands.

Rankings came out today and the Jacks are moving closer to the top-25...

14 points in the AP Poll. That is good for a tie at #32 with Cincinnati. Ohio State sits at #25 with 95 points

2 points in the USA Today Coaches Poll. This is our first appearance in that poll this year.

Ultimately these rankings mean nothing on the court and how we perform, but it is great publicity for the program. Not sure if winning out would get us to crack the top-25, but we would be close. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

Congrats to Kevon Harris ------------ SFA's new career scoring leader.

He is the NCAA DI scoring leader. He still trails James Silas for the school record by 129 points. He is averaging 18 a game. He is assured 6 more games minimum. SLC championship would be a seventh game and leave him three short, assuming he scores only his average. Postseason game gets him the school record...

• Thumbs Down 1

SFA claims outright regular season title with a 95-76 win over Lamar. Kevon Harris adds 20 in the win, creeping up the SFA All-Time Leaderboard.

James Silas 1884
George Johnson 1860
Pete Harris 1833
Surry Oliver 1807
Kevon Harris 1802

Two big games before the conference tournament. Off to Abilene for our toughest game remaining on Wednesday...

6 hours ago, TxFight said:

Ken Pomeroy trying to make an argument (and its valid) that SFA has performed better than the average bubble team. 

Definitely,  but our conference is doing its best to hold us back...We should get a look as an at-large if we were to win out, but fall in a heart breaker in the conference finals. That won't happen though because the Southland is a joke of a conference. We have hit that time of year when alumni are clamoring for a move to another conference. I don't think it should happen, but I do think a move is becoming more realistic in the next 5-10 years...

We are up to 47 votes in the latest AP Poll (#28 overall) and 15 votes in the Coaches Poll (#32 overall)

34 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

I just hope we can keep Walter Matthau, I mean Kyle Keller, for a few more years...……...He had a few troubles last year, but I love how he(and his assistants) get his players to buy in to playing defense.

We get at least one more. No major jobs are projected to open that he could be attached to. Plus after last year's dud, he will need another year or two to prove consistency. 

He comes off as a Kaspar type and good with where he is. Yes, Kaspar left, but it wasn't a complete money grab. A lot more to his move than money.