SFA Basketball 2019 - 2020

RETIREDFAN1

5 hours ago, TxFight said:

SFA doing it's best to get a huge crowd for Saturday. Would be a nice finishing touch to put it on Sam to finish the year. 

What kind of promotions are they doing ?  I am assume it is not a sellout ?

SFA 68 - Sam 57

SFA finishes SLC play 19-1 and a double bye in Katy. During Senior Nught activities postgame, Nathan Bain proposed to his now fiancee to end his speech to the crowd. What. A. Night. 

What a group of seniors. All three supremely talented with stories even better. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wish we could've gotten to see this team in the tourney. Don't think they had the ability of Underwood's last team to make a deep run. Walkup and crew just had that feeling that they could beat anyone they stepped on the floor with. This group didn't have that...but I think they are better than Keller's other bunch that gave Tech all they wanted in Dallas. I can guarantee not too many big boys were going to be happy with drawing them in the 1st round. 

22 hours ago, TxFight said:

Wish we could've gotten to see this team in the tourney. Don't think they had the ability of Underwood's last team to make a deep run. Walkup and crew just had that feeling that they could beat anyone they stepped on the floor with. This group didn't have that...but I think they are better than Keller's other bunch that gave Tech all they wanted in Dallas. I can guarantee not too many big boys were going to be happy with drawing them in the 1st round. 

They beat a Duke team on Duke’s home court when Duke was #1 in the nation ........  I think 2019-20 thought they could beat anyone. 
Not saying 2019-20 was as good day in and day out, but belief was not a problem. 

There was a fun debate on the SFA board about who would win in a hypothetical matchup between the 2016 and 2020 teams. That would be a helluva game for sure. 

As for this team and the tournament, I think they were a team that could make the second weekend depending on what region they drew. I really liked the Ohio State matchup in the first round and Louisville in the second. Not an easy road by any means, but one where we could have made the Sweet 16. The problem with this team was consistency. Too many times would they play down to their opponent in conference play and find themselves in a nailbiter that should have been a laugher. That said, when the 2020 team was on, they proved they could play with anyone in the country...

As for next year, I think they are still the favorite for the Southland. Abilene will be there, with Northwestern State and Sam Houston both in the mix. Nicholls lost a lot to graduation and a key player to transfer today. I think they fall to the middle of the pack for a year. SFA will be good and deep. Not sure about transfers and what to expect there. Maybe one or two, but no key players will be out the door. Hart and Walker are the only two names that pop up as possible departures. 

You are looking at a starting lineup of Deandre Heckard, Roti Ware, Cam Johnson, Gavin Kensmil, and Charlie Daniels/Calvin Solomon. We also get Brown back from injury and McDaniel after a redshirt year. Incoming freshman Posey will be a stud that can contribute from the bench early. This team will be very talented, very experienced, and very deep...

• Thanks 1

I am hoping Cam Johnson is okay with being the 6th man again, “with starters minutes,” and we have a good enough starting 5 to do that. 
With Ware being capable of playing both guard positions, Cam can come off the bench and have any one of the PG, SG or SF come out. 
Not arguing about him being a good/really good starter.......just my hope.......and conversation. 

19 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

I am hoping Cam Johnson is okay with being the 6th man again, “with starters minutes,” and we have a good enough starting 5 to do that. 
With Ware being capable of playing both guard positions, Cam can come off the bench and have any one of the PG, SG or SF come out. 
Not arguing about him being a good/really good starter.......just my hope.......and conversation. 

I agree. He was a huge spark off the bench most of the year. I give him a pass for his down stretch.  A lot of issues with his personal life that really threw things out of whack for him.

He was a guy that could come in for Kevon and give great minutes with very little drop off. That kind of production off the bench is so valuable. I think if Charlie starts at the 4/5, you see Calvin take on that same role by coming in early and playing starter minutes...I think you see a lot more of a traditional two man post with some combo of Gavin, Charlie, and Calvin on the court at all times with Sama'zha and Brown giving minutes in relief. 

On 3/23/2020 at 6:12 PM, cotton84 said:

They beat a Duke team on Duke’s home court when Duke was #1 in the nation ........  I think 2019-20 thought they could beat anyone. 
Not saying 2019-20 was as good day in and day out, but belief was not a problem. 

I'm not arguing that teams belief at all. I would be disappointed if they didn't think that. I'm saying that me, as a fan, watching them I never doubted that 2016 crew. They hit another gear around the middle of February that year where they just throttled everyone and didn't blink. I don't know that anyone played them within 20 from mid February. It took them going 0/3 on scoring and Notre Dame going 3/3 in the last minute and change for them to get knocked out. And Notre Dame played in the Elite Eight. I was not surprised when they beat West Virginia the way they did. Just think that team had "it". 

This 2019-2020 bunch was very good, and very talented. I do not discredit that at all. I think it was easily Keller's best team. Just think at some point they would've ran into a team that overwhelmed them. I didn't get that from the 2016 bunch. 

Hate that the season ended the way it did so we will never know how far this team could have went. Next year should be another stellar season. Looks to be loaded with talent and deep. There could be another guard coming in if the rumblings are true but too early to tell...Posey is the kind of player that can contribute early. Gonna be fun for sure. 

2 hours ago, RonSwanson said:

Hate that the season ended the way it did so we will never know how far this team could have went. Next year should be another stellar season. Looks to be loaded with talent and deep. There could be another guard coming in if the rumblings are true but too early to tell...Posey is the kind of player that can contribute early. Gonna be fun for sure. 

Spot opening for little brother?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if Hawkins will play this year?  That was a very good get....I don’t see any way that Cam being a senior wouldn’t start this year. I personally can’t wait till the season starts. This team could possibly be better that this past season. 

Haven't heard anything on Hawkins, but he would definitely be a nice piece to have this year. I expect our starting five to be

Roti, Cam, Heckard, Gavin, Charlie/Calvin. I have Heckard in, but if Hawkins is eligible, he takes a starting spot depending on attitude...

Posey will play big minutes by conference. McDaniel will start slow but be a huge contributor. Brown is the one I am most intrigued about. That is a huge depth piece that we needed last year.

Apparently the NCAA showed "compassion" on the basketball program by delaying their punishment a year. Since this year's juniors missed the NCAA Tournament due to Covid, we will have the opportunity to go still next year.