SFA Basketball 2019 - 2020

RETIREDFAN1

14 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

I had been meaning to get over here and see how my Jack friends were doing?

I have been twisting the knife with some of them I work with 

I have a few coworkers that were quick to get it to me in a group message setting. Also a few Kats on Twitter that chimed in quickly...

Embarrassed still, but firmly behind the current administration. Coach Carthel posted a stat last week where we have 61 players with at least a 3.0 and 10 players with a perfect 4.0. Team GPA is now a 3.11. He inherited a team with a 2.06 GPA a year ago...Changes are being made

16 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I have a few coworkers that were quick to get it to me in a group message setting. Also a few Kats on Twitter that chimed in quickly...

Embarrassed still, but firmly behind the current administration. Coach Carthel posted a stat last week where we have 61 players with at least a 3.0 and 10 players with a perfect 4.0. Team GPA is now a 3.11. He inherited a team with a 2.06 GPA a year ago...Changes are being made

Carthel loves JUCO and transfers.  You won't have an issue with GPAs with him in charge.

Just now, MavGrad99 said:

Carthel loves JUCO and transfers.  You won't have an issue with GPAs with him in charge.

I was skeptical of the hire at first. I didn't take long for him to win me over. This guy is great. I don't see him in Nac for very long. He will land a bigger job quickly...

From another board...

Just released by SFA. I have included the worst part:

The Level I (Mitigated) sanctions agreed upon by the NCAA and Stephen F. Austin include the following:

• Three years of probation;
  • Public reprimand and censure;
  • A fine of $5,000 plus one-half of one percent of the total budgets for football and men's basketball;
  • The return of 50 percent of the University's financial share earned from participation in the 2016 NCAA Tournament;
  • The forfeiture of all records and contests in which an ineligible SFA student-athlete competed, which includes 29 football victories from 2013-2019; 117 men's basketball victories from 2014 to 2019; 112 baseball victories from 2015 to 2019; 31 softball victories from the 2018 season; and adjusted conference championship scores from women's golf, women's track and field, men's cross country and men's track and field.
  • Included in the vacation of wins are conference championships in men's basketball in 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2017-18, as well as the program's First Round win in the 2016 NCAA Tournament. The banners recognizing those achievements will be removed from William R. Johnson Coliseum.
  • A 2.5% reduction in financial aid awards (scholarships) in football for 2020-2021 and 2021-2022; a 5% reduction in baseball in either 2020-21 or 2021-2022 and the loss of one scholarship in men's basketball in either 2020-2021 or 2021-22.
  • Prior to the conclusion of the probationary period, the institution will submit to a data review with APP staff.

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

From another board...

Just released by SFA. I have included the worst part:

The Level I (Mitigated) sanctions agreed upon by the NCAA and Stephen F. Austin include the following:

• Three years of probation;
  • Public reprimand and censure;
  • A fine of $5,000 plus one-half of one percent of the total budgets for football and men's basketball;
  • The return of 50 percent of the University's financial share earned from participation in the 2016 NCAA Tournament;
  • The forfeiture of all records and contests in which an ineligible SFA student-athlete competed, which includes 29 football victories from 2013-2019; 117 men's basketball victories from 2014 to 2019; 112 baseball victories from 2015 to 2019; 31 softball victories from the 2018 season; and adjusted conference championship scores from women's golf, women's track and field, men's cross country and men's track and field.
  • Included in the vacation of wins are conference championships in men's basketball in 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2017-18, as well as the program's First Round win in the 2016 NCAA Tournament. The banners recognizing those achievements will be removed from William R. Johnson Coliseum.
  • A 2.5% reduction in financial aid awards (scholarships) in football for 2020-2021 and 2021-2022; a 5% reduction in baseball in either 2020-21 or 2021-2022 and the loss of one scholarship in men's basketball in either 2020-2021 or 2021-22.
  • Prior to the conclusion of the probationary period, the institution will submit to a data review with APP staff.

Whoever does these sanctions for the NCAA are ridiculous.  Teams literally pay and get caught for players to come play for them and they can find nothing... even with tape recordings of it happening.  Then you have a school like SFA who played or had failing grades and GPAs as part of their team and get hammered after helping the NCAA do its investigation.  

The NCAA is rewarding schools for hiding their scandals and hammering schools for helping uncovering them.  

It is time for a new system.  A new collegiate system altogether...  Hell, I may take some time when my wife goes to get her manicure and type up my proposal.

• Like 2

UNC creates a fake class to boost GPA's. Gets caught. Crickets...

SFA deserves punishment. We failed our student athletes, but this along with the postseason bans (Punishment for failure to maintain the APR minimum), too much...

5 hours ago, topher805 said:

SFA deserves punishment. We failed our student athletes, but this along with the postseason bans (Punishment for failure to maintain the APR minimum), too much...

My understanding is the bans are off now due to the things above that they agreeD to vacations of wins probation etc

I agree though seems like they are piling on some here while the big boys get a pass when caught red handed with their hand in the cookie jar!

9 hours ago, Coach0001 said:

My understanding is the bans are off now due to the things above that they agreeD to vacations of wins probation etc

I agree though seems like they are piling on some here while the big boys get a pass when caught red handed with their hand in the cookie jar!

Bans are off?

11 hours ago, Coach0001 said:

I hope that is the case. 

The more that comes out im shifting from embarrassed to angry. Robert Hill and crew were warned in 2014 and did nothing. There is an article in the DMN where they interviewed the Academic Advisor and Compliance guys, it is just bad...

That said, I am 100% behind Ivey to get through this. He is good and he is handling this the right way. He is taking responsibility even though it isn't his fault.

15 hours ago, Coach0001 said:

You must be new to college basketball lol.

14 hours ago, TxFight said:

The current system is broken when athletes and coaches and a department as a whole are punished over the wrongdoing of a paper pusher who is no longer employed by the university. 

No. Still employed, just not in the athletic department...

I agree though, very unfortunate that the current students have to pay for the sins of a previous administration...

On 5/20/2020 at 4:57 PM, topher805 said:

SFA should take the ncaa to court!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

It shouldn’t be SFA... while it would make some noise, it wouldn’t put a dent in the NCAA.  It needs to be a real player in the NCAA... Texas, An entire conference.... something like that

5 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Part of the deal to keep the hammer from being a complete annihilation was that this deal is final. No lawsuits or appeals from the school. So not only did we self report and completely comply, but our plea deal was absolutely brutal and final. 

This deal kept SFA from serving a multiple year postseason ban, or worse...

3 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

It shouldn’t be SFA... while it would make some noise, it wouldn’t put a dent in the NCAA.  It needs to be a real player in the NCAA... Texas, An entire conference.... something like that

Big schools have it too good. With Kansas getting a slap on the wrist coming, do you think the Big 12 is going to ruffle feathers? Bluebloods with high powered attorneys will continue to skate, while midmajors and emerging programs will feel the full wrath. 

SFA AD Ryan Ivey did an interview with Smoaky himself the other day. Really good interview with a lot of insight on how this came to be and what the plan is going forward.

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

It’s not the big schools getting the hammer dropped on them.  

2 hours ago, topher805 said:

Part of the deal to keep the hammer from being a complete annihilation was that this deal is final. No lawsuits or appeals from the school. So not only did we self report and completely comply, but our plea deal was absolutely brutal and final. 

This deal kept SFA from serving a multiple year postseason ban, or worse...

Oh, I missed the self reported part

Hopefully SFA can get through this without a lot of damage. A good year this season will go a long ways. Hoping that all new recruits show up this summer. Posey is a PLAYER!  Heckard is a good get also. He would have one year of eligibility for post season play. Gonna interesting to see what happens.  This years team could be better that the 28-3 team. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RonSwanson said:

Hopefully SFA can get through this without a lot of damage. A good year this season will go a long ways. Hoping that all new recruits show up this summer. Posey is a PLAYER!  Heckard is a good get also. He would have one year of eligibility for post season play. Gonna interesting to see what happens.  This years team could be better that the 28-3 team. 

Next years team will be special. The big thing will be keeping the team together the next year and not losing a lot to transfer (Solomon, Hart, McDaniel will all be juniors the ineligible season)