MavGrad's Week 8 Preview (2019)

Coach Rab

A lot of the top teams are in action this week.  Unfortunately, none of the match-ups are that great for them.  Look for some Heisman stats to be solidified before the real grind of the schedule begins.

West Virginia at #5 Oklahoma  11:00 AM  FOX

OU not being in the top 4 of the AP poll is somewhat disappointing to me.  I believe they look at Jalen Hurts performance and was like "He didn't look like the best this week." completely discrediting the defensive scheme of Texas.  I believe Texas played them as well as you could have hoped on defense, but the running ability of Hurts made it impossible to overcome the Sooners.  To me, West Virginia without Holgerson as its coach is not going to be a threat to OU.  They won't outscore them... and I doubt they get many stops.  Sooners by 20.

#11 Auburn at Arkansas  11:00  SEC Network

Auburn is probably the better team all around, but I expect the Razorbacks to find a way to beat the point spread.  Auburn by 17.

Iowa St at Texas Tech  11:00  FS1

I don't have anything but a gut feeling to back this prediction up.  Texas Tech by 6.

#2 LSU at Mississippi St  2:30  CBS

Like I said above... look for Burrow to highlight his Heisman campaign again in a big win.  Tigers by 20.

#12 Oregon at #25 Washington  2:30  ABC

I am not sure why Washington is ranked still.  Oregon is better almost everyone and so I will pick them to win handily on the road.  Ducks by 15.

#18 Baylor at Oklahoma St  3:00  FOX

You guys know I have been an advocate of this Baylor team this year.  I honestly think they are the 3rd best team in this conference this year after OU and Texas.  However, I think they are due for a slip up.  That will come against a team that can get their crap together with sustained offensive drives...  That will be this week.  Oklahoma St by 3.

#17 Arizona St at #13 Utah  5:00  PAC12 Network

I don't think that I have the PAC12 Network or this would be on my watch list for sure.  I believe we will see a defensive battle to the end.  I give the edge to Utah for one reason... I DON'T TRUST FRESHMAN QBS TO STAY CONSISTENT.  Just like we saw with Auburn, we will see Arizona St's Freshman QB struggle at times.  Utes by 4.

Kansas St at #15 Texas  6:00  LHN

I may tune in to the first half of this one just to see Les Miles in action.  But Kansas ranks last in offense in the B12... meaning they won't be able to keep pace.  Texas by 24.

#16 Michigan at #7 Penn State  6:30  ABC

Have you ever seen a more defeated one loss team than Michigan?  Their confidence levels in wins are saddening...  I will go with Penn St just based on confidence alone.  Nittany Lions by 12.

Texas A&M at Ole Miss  6:30  SEC Network

This one should be a breath of fresh air for the Aggies if they take care of business on the offensive end.  The pieces will fall into place for the Aggie defense in a somewhat mild challenge for them.  Where the struggles will come is if the offense sputters out again and again.  I expect a big with for the Aggies in this one.  Aggies by 20.

Tennessee at #1 Alabama  8:00  ESPN

Oh the unavoidable "fair" protected rivalry between Alabama and Tennessee...  Do away with this.  Bama by 40.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

West Virginia at #5 Oklahoma  11:00 AM  FOX

OU not being in the top 4 of the AP poll is somewhat disappointing to me.  I believe they look at Jalen Hurts performance and was like "He didn't look like the best this week." completely discrediting the defensive scheme of Texas.  I believe Texas played them as well as you could have hoped on defense, but the running ability of Hurts made it impossible to overcome the Sooners.  To me, West Virginia without Holgerson as its coach is not going to be a threat to OU.  They won't outscore them... and I doubt they get many stops.  Sooners by 20.

We're long overdue for a "OU loses a game they have absolutely no business losing" game. 

WVa wins by 21. Austin Kendall passes for 500 yards. After the game he b####-slaps Riley at midfield. 

• LOL! 1

44 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

#11 Auburn at Arkansas
Iowa St at Texas Tech
#2 LSU at Mississippi St
#12 Oregon at #25 Washington
#18 Baylor at Oklahoma St
#17 Arizona St at #13 Utah

Kansas at #15 Texas
#16 Michigan at #7 Penn State
Texas A&M at Ole Miss
Tennessee at #1 Alabama

Arkie is in a bad way right now. Auburn blowout. 
Tech has found their identity on offense. Close win. 
Missy has no way of stopping Macaulay Culkin. LSU blowout.
Oregon too much for the Huskies. 
Okie State plays 'em close, but Baylor D prevails. 
Utes win this week's "Who give a s###" matchup.
UT vents frustrations in blowout over the Mad Hatters. 
Michigan inexplicably beats Penn State.
Aggies blowout mediocre Ole Miss. 
'Bama starters sitting by halftime.

I'm still not sold on Baylor. After playing a few freshman teams to start the season, they've moved into playing JV teams the last few games, and nearly lost 2 of them. I think Ok State's offense will be too much for them. 

Then again, my pickems this year have looked as good as Lion's grammar, so Baylor by 40. 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

South Carolina looks like they may have figured some things out after that rough start

Yea they are playing some good physical football right now. There’s a very realistic scenario where they win the east this year.

We beat Middle Tennessee in dramatic fashion. 33-30

2 mins left in the game we fumble the ball. MT gets the ball and scores a TD to tie. 30 seconds left they kickoff. We run the ball down to the 50. After a couple of losses, there is 10 seconds left. We complete a 30+ yard pass and have 4 seconds left. The kicker makes a chip shot fg as time expires.