Week Nine: Longview at North Mesquite

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (7-0) vs North Mesquite Stallions (2-5)  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • North Mesquite in a close one
    • North Mesquite in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/26/2019 at 12:30 AM

longview.pngnorthmesquite.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (7-0, 3-0) AT NORTH MESQUITE STALLIONS (2-5, 0-3)

DATE: Friday, October 25th, 2019
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
NORTH MESQUITE BROADCAST: 88.5 FM KEOM[/b]

longview.png LOBOS LEAD SERIES 11-3-0 longview.png

The Stallions have a 2-1 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 10-1 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 6-2 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 5-1 lead when the game is played at North Mesquite.
Longview has won the last six meetings with the Stallions.
The two schools have never played at E.H. Hanby Stadium.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played on October 25th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
10.26.2018 - Longview 63, North Mesquite 3 - Lobo Stadium
10.20.2017 - Longview 41, North Mesquite 7 - Lobo Stadium
10.14.2016 - Longview 49, North Mesquite 35 - Mesquite Memorial Stadium
10.25.2013 - Longview 37, North Mesquite 22 - Mesquite Memorial Stadium
10.26.2012 - Longview 52, North Mesquite 3 - Lobo Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
One step closer to a playoff spot. That's the mantra the Longview Lobos rang out following their 49-13 beat down of the Rockwall Heath Hawks. The Lobos, with the win, moved to within a win of clinching the program's 19 playoff consecutive playoff appearance. Already a school record at 18 years in a row in the post season, the Lobos have never gone to the post season for an entire decade (Lobos missed the post season in 2000 prevent the 2000s from completing an entire decade in the post season). Longview rolled to within one game of clinching that post season berth, by eliminating the Heath Hawks, the first team to be mathematically eliminated. The Lobos saw quarterback Haynes King return to this 2018 form, by throwing four touchdown passes on the night in a 10 for 14 night for the senior. King now holds 5 of the 15 four or more passing touchdown nights in Longview school history. The win for the Lobos was their 6th in a row over the Heath Hawks, the sixth time in school history the Lobos have opened a series with 6 or more victories in a row. Longview now turns their attention towards eliminating another team from playoff contention, in the North Mesquite Stallions. Second year head coach Tim Seder has not been able to bring North back to its glory days in his first couple years as head coach, with the Stallions staring a fourth consecutive season without a post season berth in the face. The Stallions have opened 11-6A play with three consecutive losses, getting outscored 156-34 in those three losses. The Lobos return to Hanby Stadium just two weeks apart from having knocked off North's rival in Mesquite Horn. The Lobos and Stallions will meet at Hanby for the first time in the series' history. This will be the seventh time for the Lobos to take on North in Mesquite, with all six previous games being at Mesquite Memorial where the Lobos hold a 5-1 record against the Stallions. In what will be the 15th game of the series, the Stallions actually hold the most wins over Longview by any Mesquite ISD squad at three. North's last victory came in 2010, when Joe Bergeron and the Stallions went wild on a Lobo squad in the fourth quarter, as they erased a 14-3 Lobo lead and defeated Longview 24-14. Since that loss, six games ago, the Lobos have outscored North 291 to 83. The Stallions previous two wins came in 1971 and 1988, both non-district meetings. Longview rolls into Hanby holding a 23-game winning streak, the state's longest. The Lobos also are holding a 23-game regular season winning streak, the second longest in school history, and a 15-game district winning streak, the fourth longest in school history. I should be a big night from the Lobo offense as the Lobos and Stallions meet at Hanby for the first time.

WEEK EIGHT 11-6A SCHEDULE:
North Mesquite vs Longview (E.H. Hanby Stadium)
Tyler Lee vs Rockwall (Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium)
Rockwall Heath vs Mesquite Horn (Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium)
Mesquite BYE WEEK

WEEK EIGHT 11-6A RESULTS:
Longview 49 Rockwall 13
Mesquite 18 Tyler Lee 14
Rockwall 76 North Mesquite 7
Mesquite Horn BYE WEEK

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS
1st. Longview (7-0, 3-0)
2nd. Mesquite (7-1, 3-1)
3rd. Rockwall (6-2, 3-1)
4th. Tyler Lee (5-2, 2-1)
5th. Mesquite Horn (2-5, 1-2)
6th. North Mesquite (2-5, 0-3)
7th. Rockwall Heath (3-5, 0-4)

DISTRICT 12-6A OVERVIEW
This Week - Belton hosts Killeen Harker Heights. Killeen Harker Heights host Waco Midway. Killeen Shoemaker host Waco Midway. Temple hosts Waco.
Last Week - Killeen defeated Belton, 44-17. Killeen Harker Heights defeated Waco Midway, 17-14. Killeen Shoemaker defeated Waco, 42-31. Temple defeated Killeen Ellison, 57-30.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 7-0 (3-0)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (175-36 in 16 seasons) (Playoffs: 40-14)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 736-345-52 (Playoffs: 69-41-1)
Playoff Appearances: 44
Last Playoff Appearance: 2018, 6A Division II State Championship
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.30 - at Lufkin - Win 24-21
09.06 - vs Marshall - Win 53-0
09.13 - at John Tyler - Win 42-0
09.20 - West Monroe (In Shreveport) - Win 17-7
09.27 - vs Rockwall - Win 49-3
10.11 - at Mesquite Horn - Win 44-20
10.18 - vs Rockwall Heath - Win 49-13
10.25 - at North Mesquite
11.01 - vs Tyler Lee
11.08 - at Mesquite

NORTH MESQUITE STALLIONS
Record: 2-5 (0-3)
District: 11-6A
Coach: Tim Seder (5-11 in 2 seasons) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 1970
All-Time Record: 302-205-11 (Playoffs: 12-15-1)
Playoff Appearances: 16
Last Playoff Appearance: 2015, 6A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (0): None
State Championship Appearances (0): None
SCHEDULE:
08.30 - at Arlington Sam Houston - Loss 21-17
09.06 - vs Garland Lakeview Centennial - Win 33-14
09.12 - at Fort Worth Paschal - Win 48-27
09.20 - at Haltom - Loss 49-32
10.04 - at Tyler Lee - Loss 35-17
10.11 - v. Mesquite - Loss 45-10
10.18 - at Rockwall - Loss 76-7
10.25 - vs Longview
11.01 - v. Mesquite Horn
11.07 - vs Rockwall Heath

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: October 25th
In 1929, Longview rolled over Shreveport Fair Park, 59-6, at the Lobo Athletic Field.
In 1935, Longview defeated Texas High, 6-0, at City League Park.
In 1940, Kenneth Hallmark tallied two runs in the second half to bring home a 14-7 win for the Kilgore Bulldogs over Longview at R.E. St. John Memorial Stadium.
In 1946, Kilgore’s Jim Canter ran wild on Longview and set up Fox’s 2 yard run as Kilgore defeated Longview, 6-0, in Kilgore.
In 1963, Jimmy Grahm ran in from three yards out and Reese Brown brought in a reception for a score in the first half as Lee ran all over Longview, 27-6, at Rose Stadium. Longview threw the ball 25 times on the night, completing just 6 passes in the loss.
In 1968, David Kiowski ran in from 23 yards out late in the 4th quarter to lift the Friars of Bishop Lynch over Longview, 27-21. Longview took a 21-13 lead into the 4th quarter before the Friars grabbed hold of the game at Roffino Stadium.
In 1974, Leo McCoy tallied twice in the second quarter following a Tommy Thomas 36 yard field goal in the first, as Longview defeated Texas High, 17-7, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1985, Thomas Snoddy rushed in for two touchdowns in the first quarter to start the domination over the Marshall Mavericks at Lobo Stadium. The Lobos, rolling to a 42-12 victory, rushed for 305 yards and put up 409 total yards in the dominating victory.
In 1991, after a scoreless first half, John Washington brought in a 21 yard pass for a score before Jason Dodson rushed in from one yard out in a 13-7 Longview victory over Tyler Lee at Lobo Stadium.
In 1996, after the Dragons captured a 7-0 lead after one quarter, Fred Talley went to work with a 14-yard rush in the second to tie the game. Talley would add a 63 yard rush for a score in the 4th to bring home the 21-7 Longview victory. Tajuan Stoker got the last score for the Lobos.
In 2002, Joel Armstrong rushed for two touchdowns, Rogers Taylor brought in a 35 yard pass for a score and Jerrel Williams, Fred Hawkins and Gordon Freeman would all add tallies as Longview recorded a 42-7 victory over John Tyler at Rose Stadium.
In 2013, Andres Perez would set a record for most field goals kicked in a game with three, while Dezmond Chumley threw for four touchdowns and 226 yards in a 37-22 victory over North Mesquite. The two teams combined for 21 penalties and 224 penalty yards.

lobohowl2.GIF

So there's three weeks left in the regular season already.

Rockwall Heath has been officially eliminated. 

With a loss on Friday, North Mesquite can also be officially eliminated.

Lee's loss is a set back, for sure, but the loss isn't the end all for the Red Raiders...where as it would've been for the Skeeters, as they already had a loss to Mesquite Horn and another loss to the team they were competing against for a playoff spot in Lee would've been the death march for the Skeeters (who still has Longview and Rockwall to go).

So Longview and Rockwall should finish 1 and 2. 

That leaves...Mesquite Horn (1-2), Tyler Lee (2-1) and Mesquite (3-1). 

Mesquite Horn has a win over Mesquite. They have Rockwall Heath, North Mesquite and Tyler Lee remaining.

Tyler Lee has wins over North Mesquite and Rockwall Heath. They still have Rockwall & Longview + Mesquite Horn remaining.

Mesquite has a win over Tyler Lee and a loss to Mesquite Horn. They only have Rockwall and Longview remaining. 

So assuming Mesquite doesn't upset anyone, they should finish the season 3-3 in district. Lee should lose the next two, and Mesquite Horn should win the next two. So that would put them at 3-2 for Horn and 2-3 for Mesquite. 

That'll set up the huge showdown between Mesquite Horn and Tyler Lee to end the regular season at the Rose to basically decide who goes and who doesn't. Pretty sure it would depend on the score and how much each team won by.

Looking at 12-6A with three weeks to go. 

Temple remains the only undefeated team in district play after week 8, as a huge upset in 12-6A ended Waco Midway's 37-game district winning streak with Harker Heights grabbing a 17-14 win at Midway. 

So the standings look like..
1) Temple (6-1, 5-0)
2) Killeen Shoemaker (5-2, 4-1)
3) Waco Midway (4-3, 4-1)
4) Killeen Harker Heights (4-4, 4-2)
5) Belton (2-5, 2-3)
6) Killeen Ellison (2-6, 2-4)
7) Killeen (2-6, 2-4)
8. Copperas Cove (2-5, 1-4)
9) Waco (0-7, 0-5)

Waco is eliminated, but every other team is technically still alive with 3 weeks to go. 

This week really muddied the waters, with Harker Heights (over Midway) AND Killeen's (over Belton) victory. 

Shoemaker is in a really good spot. Their only loss is to Temple, and they have wins over Belton, Killeen and Ellison (as well as Waco). They have Midway, Cove and Harker Heights left.

Waco Midway is in a bit of a trick spot all of a sudden. They have wins over Killeen, Ellison, Waco and Cove. Now they face Shoemaker, Temple and Belton to end the season after losing to Harker Heights. 

Harker Heights has losses to Temple and Belton, that Belton game might come back to bite them but, they have wins over Killeen, Ellison, Waco and now Midway. They have Cove and Shoemaker left. 

Belton is in a bit of a pickle after their upset loss to Killeen. They have wins over Harker Heights and Cove, and losses to Shoemaker/Temple/Killeen. They have Ellison, Waco and Midway left.

Ellison and Killeen both sit at 2-4. Ellison has losses to Midway, Harker Heights, Shoemaker and Temple, so they have to win out and have help. Killeen is the same way. Those two face each other this week. Cove doesn't even really matter tbh right now. 

So realistically it's only Temple, Shoemaker, Waco Midway, Harker Heights and Belton fighting for four spots. Temple is going to make it, I have them finishing 7-0 in district. Midway vs Shoemaker this week will really tell us a lot about where both teams are going to finish. I thought Shoemaker had a great chance to beat Midway going into the week even before the Panthers loss, but now I really think Shoemaker is the favorite. Midway is in a tricky spot, because if they lose to Shoemaker then Temple, that could turn that Belton/Midway game into a play in game. That said I think Belton is not a good football team, and I still expect the Panthers to make the post season. Harker Heights should beat Cove, but I think Shoemaker should be HH, so I see the Knights sitting at 5-3 in district play after their two games, and that should get them in. 

I think it'll finish Temple, Shoemaker, Midway and Harker Heights. Which would send Midway to Longview. But just in case Midway does miss the post season, Shoemaker would drop to D2. 

11 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Shoutout to coach King.....he and Riley dodge said the best player they’ve ever seen at the high school level was Reggie McNeal. 

That dude was something else in HS. He basically willed Lufkin to a state championship in 2001. 

I'm sad Franchione mismanaged him so badly... He could've been a great in college. 

And remember, Coach King has coached against guys like Cedric Benson, Dez Bryant, Kendall Hunter, Brock Berlin, John David Booty, and others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

For anyone at the games the last 2 weeks, has the passing game looked any better? It looked off for a while there, partially cause of all the dropped passes. 

I thought tonight was one of the more complete games Haynes has played all year through the air.

They didnt ask him to throw much but he was on the money almost every throw, but drops by Moore and Kearbey. 

That 61 yard TD throw pretty much shows why Hale should probably start. Outside of his good hands and size, he displayed some crazy speed on that play for a freshman leaving his defender in the dust on a deep route.

Earlier in the game he'd caught a nice ball on a drag route but it was negated by penalty.

• Like 1

Well, I was extremely bored and was up around 5:37am this Saturday morning watching this new DFW "Sports" show on YouTube called, The 5th Quarter. Well, the horrid commentator Ashlea Bullington IN MY OPINION seems to say something really slick about the Longview Lobos if you can listen with a 3rd ear.

Just begin listening around the 30:15 to 30:47 mark to skip all their bs commentary. They will literally put you to sleep if you attempt to watch them for any extended period of time talking about teams who will NEVER see the playoffs even if the U.I.L. allowed everyone in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quick said:

Well, I was extremely bored and was up around 5:37am this Sunday morning watching this new DFW "Sports" show on YouTube called, The 5th Quarter. Well, the horrid commentator Ashlea Bullington IN MY OPINION seems to say something really slick about the Longview Lobos if you can listen with a 3rd ear.

Just begin listening around the 30:15 to 30:47 mark to skip all their bs commentary. They will literally put you to sleep if you attempt to watch them for any extended period of time talking about teams who will NEVER see the playoffs even if the U.I.L. allowed everyone in.

Star local media news people are just as bad. They Ride the jocks of their local teams so hard you start to believe the mess their telling you half the time lol. 

• LOL! 2

2 hours ago, Quick said:

Well, I was extremely bored and was up around 5:37am this Sunday morning watching this new DFW "Sports" show on YouTube called, The 5th Quarter. Well, the horrid commentator Ashlea Bullington IN MY OPINION seems to say something really slick about the Longview Lobos if you can listen with a 3rd ear.

I didn’t take that anyway other than she is an idiot....GRANDview and not LONGview are Zebras....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I didn’t take that anyway other than she is an idiot....GRANDview and not LONGview are Zebras....

Right. I thought about that and wanted to give her that pass but, I refuse to believe that mostly everyone even on the outside knows that we are the Lobos and Grandview is some small school due south of Alvarado. Then she tried to reference Denton Guyer's state championship as if we don't have one. And to think, she clearly admitted that Guyer is her ADOPTED school; not even her actual alma mater. The nut riding and jock strap sniffing in the DFW is at an all time high. 

• LOL! 1

Meredith had a sneaky 162 yard performance on only 11 carries last night.

A 200+ yard performance looks to be on the horizon in this matchup. North is all around awful but that front 7 in particular is really bad.

• Like 1

I can’t see the starters playing a ton tbh. It’ll be interesting to see how many possessions we get.

Last night, we got 6 in the first half and scored on all but the last one when we were trying to go 70+ in under 50 seconds. 

That said, Heath actually moved the ball on our D, which I don’t think North will be able to do much of.

35 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I can’t see the starters playing a ton tbh. It’ll be interesting to see how many possessions we get.

Last night, we got 6 in the first half and scored on all but the last one when we were trying to go 70+ in under 50 seconds. 

That said, Heath actually moved the ball on our D, which I don’t think North will be able to do much of.

So, Kearby probably sits out right???

2 hours ago, Quick said:

Right. I thought about that and wanted to give her that pass but, I refuse to believe that mostly everyone even on the outside knows that we are the Lobos and Grandview is some small school due south of Alvarado. Then she tried to reference Denton Guyer's state championship as if we don't have one. And to think, she clearly admitted that Guyer is her ADOPTED school; not even her actual alma mater. The nut riding and jock strap sniffing in the DFW is at an all time high. 

I can see that...I just thought she is a complete idiot because she lives there and doesn't know where Richland is....

• LOL! 2