Why are bands allowed to play during game?

marvda1

14 hours ago, TheShadowKnows said:

If you had 10 Friday’s for the band to play on thier own without a sport nobody would show up. Absolutely nobody! So the band aids need to take a quick lesson on te universe and learn the world does not revolve around them.

I guess that would all depend on which band you were talking about. No one show up without a sport? Lol. This is not the case in Alto, Tx. Guaranteed.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

From the UIL

Guidelines for Bands Playing during Football Games. UIL Football games are conducted under NCAA Rules. As it relates to when a band may play during the game, the NCAA Football Rule Book states:
Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals (NCAA Rule 1-1-6 and UIL Rule 9-2-1-b-5).
PENALTY—Dead-ball foul. 15 yards from the succeeding spot [S7 and S27]. Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with other rules. Flagrant offenders, if players or substitutes, shall be disqualified [S47].

To assist with compliance, consider the following procedures:
• Have the band stop playing from the time the Offense (of either team) breaks the huddle until the ball is snapped.
• Or, in the case of Offenses that do not huddle, have the band stop playing from the time the Center on Offense is over the ball until the ball is snapped.

This may necessitate creating shorter versions of some music, as is common practice with college bands. A drum line playing throughout the game generally does not prohibit a team from hearing its signals – use your discretion.

Although most officials do warn a band prior to calling a penalty, they are not required to do so.
Consider discussing this matter with your head football coach, athletic director, and/or school administration to determine a plan that is appropriate for your school.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fencewire said:

From the UIL

Guidelines for Bands Playing during Football Games. UIL Football games are conducted under NCAA Rules. As it relates to when a band may play during the game, the NCAA Football Rule Book states:
Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals (NCAA Rule 1-1-6 and UIL Rule 9-2-1-b-5).
PENALTY—Dead-ball foul. 15 yards from the succeeding spot [S7 and S27]. Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with other rules. Flagrant offenders, if players or substitutes, shall be disqualified [S47].

To assist with compliance, consider the following procedures:
• Have the band stop playing from the time the Offense (of either team) breaks the huddle until the ball is snapped.
• Or, in the case of Offenses that do not huddle, have the band stop playing from the time the Center on Offense is over the ball until the ball is snapped.

This may necessitate creating shorter versions of some music, as is common practice with college bands. A drum line playing throughout the game generally does not prohibit a team from hearing its signals – use your discretion.

Although most officials do warn a band prior to calling a penalty, they are not required to do so.
Consider discussing this matter with your head football coach, athletic director, and/or school administration to determine a plan that is appropriate for your school.

So, rarely are bands required to follow those rules then, because most high school bands intentionally play louder while the opposing team is on offense. Also, I have never seen a band be flagged for trying to mess up the other team. 

While we’re on the subject of bands, those of you that think halftime is for a bathroom break and to grab an order of nachos don’t know what you’re missing. I got the chance last night to see part of the 5A and 6A UIL marching contest. We watched outstanding military precision drills by bands from Whitehouse, Nacogdoghes, Hallsville, and Longview. We also saw corp band performances by John Tyler and Tyler Lee, followed up by an exhibition by the SFA Lumberjack Marching Band and their outstanding freshman piccolo player who gets her apartment rent paid by yours truly every month. It was more than worth the trip. I even missed the BAMA/ Tennessee game for it and wasn’t even mad. I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to say that band kids work as hard, if not harder, than football teams. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

So, rarely are bands required to follow those rules then, because most high school bands intentionally play louder while the opposing team is on offense. Also, I have never seen a band be flagged for trying to mess up the other team. 

Last year, SH was flagged for this.

1 hour ago, CreateMyAccount said:

Last year, SH was flagged for this.

It’s usually not enforced until the opposing coach asks for it, and then they usually give a warning. Like almost all Texas High School football rules, it matches up with ncaa rules. The difference is it is strictly enforced at college games. My one and only gripe with that is the fact that they have been inconsistent with keeping football players and coaches from interfering with band performances. Just this year, SFA has had a Tarleton State grad assistant elbow a piccolo player in the nose during the Lumberjack Marching Band’s halftime show. During the BOTPW, the kicker from the Sam Houston Institute of Technology and Science decided to practice field goals during the LMB’s halftime show. If there are rules that keep the bands from interfering in the game, surely they can keep football players and coaches out of the way for the 28 minutes that the bands are on the field. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

The bands work just as hard and some can be quite entertaining. As long as the band director has situational awareness then it should be fine. 

Listen I played football and I have strummed a guitar. Football is way more exhausting and labor intensive. I am not is shape and can still pick, but ain’t no way my big self is able to run around on a football field, anymore. 

• LOL! 1

On 10/19/2019 at 9:29 AM, cotton84 said:

Haven’t seen Allen play in a few years, but I know they used to have a band director who loved football and knew football. The 500 member band never played when Allen had the ball and they did their best to make it hard on the opposing team’s offense by blasting music. 

Allen high school has 3.5 million kids! Tru story 

Allen is it’s own league in all things.

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

It’s usually not enforced until the opposing coach asks for it, and then they usually give a warning. Like almost all Texas High School football rules, it matches up with ncaa rules. The difference is it is strictly enforced at college games. My one and only gripe with that is the fact that they have been inconsistent with keeping football players and coaches from interfering with band performances. Just this year, SFA has had a Tarleton State grad assistant elbow a piccolo player in the nose during the Lumberjack Marching Band’s halftime show. During the BOTPW, the kicker from the Sam Houston Institute of Technology and Science decided to practice field goals during the LMB’s halftime show. If there are rules that keep the bands from interfering in the game, surely they can keep football players and coaches out of the way for the 28 minutes that the bands are on the field. 

If you are going to attempt to insult us as we were in the process of continuing our domination of the Massacre In The Woods get the name right 

Also the kicker in question is a transfer from? 
Yep SFA we are still working to rehabilitate him 

37 minutes ago, TheShadowKnows said:

The Alto band is good, but people ,in Alto, watching good football first.

Well, naturally.  But to be clear, people from Alto DO show up for the Meansting band without another sport involved. They roll out to see our kids win all of our battle of the bands. They are a show all by themselves.  And while our football team has had some rough spots in the past few years (Thankfully, we’re on our way back to where we should be) our band has been winning first place, consistently.  That’s what I meant.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

If you are going to attempt to insult us as we were in the process of continuing our domination of the Massacre In The Woods get the name right 

Also the kicker in question is a transfer from? 
Yep SFA we are still working to rehabilitate him 

Doesn’t matter where he transferred from. Stay off the field when the bands are performing, or at least wait and screw up your own band’s performance. If a team ever gets penalized for some of this mess, I bet it gets stopped. And don’t try to say that the sam Houston staff didn’t know he was out there. 

13 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Doesn’t matter where he transferred from. Stay off the field when the bands are performing, or at least wait and screw up your own band’s performance. If a team ever gets penalized for some of this mess, I bet it gets stopped. And don’t try to say that the sam Houston staff didn’t know he was out there. 

The staff knew he went out they had no idea when he went on the field. Because they were still in the locker room with the team. Kickers always go out before everyone else. And it could’ve been handled much differently by just reporting it to the conference and letting the conference deal with it

The officials are not going to penalize them it would have to be the conference

10 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

While we’re on the subject of bands, those of you that think halftime is for a bathroom break and to grab an order of nachos don’t know what you’re missing. I got the chance last night to see part of the 5A and 6A UIL marching contest. We watched outstanding military precision drills by bands from Whitehouse, Nacogdoghes, Hallsville, and Longview. We also saw corp band performances by John Tyler and Tyler Lee, followed up by an exhibition by the SFA Lumberjack Marching Band and their outstanding freshman piccolo player who gets her apartment rent paid by yours truly every month. It was more than worth the trip. I even missed the BAMA/ Tennessee game for it and wasn’t even mad. I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to say that band kids work as hard, if not harder, than football teams. 

Trueblue, I have a dislike for hs school marching bands for some odd reason I can't explain. I can't stand to see a band practice for uil during halftime. I want to be entertained darn it! I just find marching bands unentertaining and boring. Now Alto, they know how to put on a show. 

• Thanks 1

I guess related to this topic, how do yall feel about a band leaving the game after halftime??I've seen some schools do this more than once, when I asked why they said they had a contest the next day. Let me just say the atmosphere of the game completely changed when they where gone. 

• Mr. P changed the title to Why are bands allowed to play during game?