Why are bands allowed to play during game?

marvda1

Alto football games would not be the same without the band. I’m a band dad and a football dad. There were folks asking if our band could play at the scrimmages. 😂 AND there are folks who come to our games from other towns to see the band. True story.

Now, I understand that if it was the Friday night of our bye week and the band decided to do their show at the stadium that we wouldn’t have the same numbers that show up to our football games. We live in Texas and that’s the main show after all! BUT, we do have higher than average support for our band program. They have a big following and lots of folks travel to the Battle of the Band contests in support of them.

One other thing I would like to mention is the relationship between our band and athletic directors. Those gentlemen are on the same team and it is evident. I told Coach Meeks when he came here that our band is literally part of the defense. Lol They bring the soundtrack to Friday nights, pep rally etc. The stands are rocking from the time they enter the stadium until the school song after the game. Mr. E (band director) loves football and watches the game and knows when to be loud and when to get quiet. I’ve never seen anything like it. Need a defensive stand? They play the defense dittie. Kickoff time? They are jamming and the football players are feeling it, helmets moving to the music, even dancing. PUMPS them up as well as the crowd. I get a kick out of watching the opposing teams enjoy it and their band and fans dancing and joining in. Just brings the game experience to another level. That’s why Caleb Beames of The Red Zone recently responded to a tweet on Greg Tepper’s Twitter feed that said, and I quote: “Favorite band has to be Alto.....It’s a party every night in the stands.” 🐝💪

We have something special cooking in Alto and are definitely blessed by great leadership. As our superintendent said in our Bond Town Hall Meeting the other night: “It’s a great day to be a Yellowjacket!”

CA94E7CF-1CC6-4F88-A5DB-5AB36830808C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LTPride said:

I guess related to this topic, how do yall feel about a band leaving the game after halftime??I've seen some schools do this more than once, when I asked why they said they had a contest the next day. Let me just say the atmosphere of the game completely changed when they where gone. 

Ridiculous for a band to ever leave a football game, contest or no contest. The Alto Band does not even take off 3rd quarter!! 🤣

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Alto football games are not the same without the band. I’m a band dad and a football dad. There were folks asking if our band could play at the scrimmages. 😂 AND there are folks who come to our games from other towns to see the band. True story.

Now, I understand that if it was the Friday night of our bye week and the band decided to do their show at the stadium that we wouldn’t have the same numbers that show up to our football games. We live in Texas and that’s the main show after all! BUT, we do have higher than average support for our band program. They have a big following and lots of folks travel to the Battle of the Band contests in support of them.

One other thing I would like to mention is the relationship between our band and athletic directors. Those gentlemen are on the same team and it is evident. I told Coach Meeks when he came here that our band is literally part of the defense. Lol They bring the soundtrack to Friday nights, pep rally etc. The stands are rocking from the time they enter the stadium until the school song after the game. Mr. E (band director) loves football and watches the game and knows when to be loud and when to get quiet. I’ve never seen anything like it. Need a defensive stand? They play the defense dittie. Kickoff time? They are jamming and the football players are feeling it, helmets moving to the music, even dancing. PUMPS them up as well as the crowd. I get a kick out of watching the opposing teams enjoy it and their band and fans dancing and joining in. Just brings the game experience to another level. That’s why Caleb Beames of The Red Zone recently responded to a tweet on Greg Tepper’s Twitter feed that said, and I quote: “Favorite band has to be Alto.....It’s a party every night in the stands.” 🐝💪

We have something special cooking in Alto and are definitely blessed by great leadership. As our superintendent said in our Bond Town Hall Meeting the other night: “It’s a great day to be a Yellowjacket!”

CA94E7CF-1CC6-4F88-A5DB-5AB36830808C.jpeg

Exactly.  Couldn’t have said it better myself, Sting.  Our fans and ESPECIALLY our football boys would stroke smooth out without our band.  They feed off of their energy. 🐝

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

Trueblue, I have a dislike for hs school marching bands for some odd reason I can't explain. I can't stand to see a band practice for uil during halftime. I want to be entertained darn it! I just find marching bands unentertaining and boring. Now Alto, they know how to put on a show. 

Alto does put on a great show. As far as what is entertaining, to each his own. It’s a lot like the difference between the spread offense and the slot-t. Some people prefer the tenacity and the old school feel of the slot-t, while others like the wide-open nature of a pass-happy spread attack. (I tend to enjoy any system that is well executed.) It’s much the same with bands. Some people enjoy the precision and hard work that goes into a good military drill, while others prefer the artistic expression built into a good corp performance. I saw both last night, and they were all well done. A good show band like Alto is fun to watch as well, especially considering they are about the only one in East Texas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, trueblue82 said:

Alto does put on a great show. As far as what is entertaining, to each his own. It’s a lot like the difference between the spread offense and the slot-t. Some people prefer the tenacity and the old school feel of the slot-t, while others like the wide-open nature of a pass-happy spread attack. (I tend to enjoy any system that is well executed.) It’s much the same with bands. Some people enjoy the precision and hard work that goes into a good military drill, while others prefer the artistic expression built into a good corp performance. I saw both last night, and they were all well done. A good show band like Alto is fun to watch as well, especially considering they are about the only one in East Texas. 

SH has to be the best military band. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

1 minute ago, CreateMyAccount said:

SH has to be the best military band. Just my 2 cents.

I didn’t get to see SH. I watched the 2A bands march then crashed at my daughter’s apartment watching college football and napping till time to head back to the stadium for the LMB’s exhibition. SFA takes advantage of having all of the bands in East Texas on campus in one day to recruit for the LMB. Smart move. They’ve built an outstanding program, and over half of their current members are from Region 21 schools. 

21 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I didn’t get to see SH. I watched the 2A bands march then crashed at my daughter’s apartment watching college football and napping till time to head back to the stadium for the LMB’s exhibition. SFA takes advantage of having all of the bands in East Texas on campus in one day to recruit for the LMB. Smart move. They’ve built an outstanding program, and over half of their current members are from Region 21 schools. 

Usually Nammb is at SFA. 

1 hour ago, StingEmALTO said:

Ridiculous for a band to ever leave a football game, contest or no contest. The Alto Band does not even take off 3rd quarter!! 🤣

That may sound good, but if you consider that a band may have a 1 1/2 hour bus ride home (which means after a game that ends at 10:15 they’re looking at midnight getting home and 1:00 a.m. getting in the bed with a 9:00 a.m. performance at a venue over an hour away, which means being at the school no later than 6:30 a.m. Also, consider that the 5-8 minute performance they have is essentially their playoffs, with no do-overs. You either get it perfect and score a 1 to advance, or you don’t. How many football coaches would consider keeping their kids out till midnight when they have a 9-10 a.m. kickoff the next day? 

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

I understand but I think halftime shows cater to you baby boomers. I remember being in the Carthage band when we were considered one of the best marching bands around but it was extremely boring but an elective is an elective. We would play old time rock n roll as a pop tune. 

Just now, ctown81 said:

I understand but I think halftime shows cater to you baby boomers. I remember being in the Carthage band when we were considered one of the best marching bands around but it was extremely boring but an elective is an elective. We would play old time rock n roll as a pop tune. 

I was starting to kinda like you till you called me old. KirtFalcon is a baby boomer. I am a couple of decades post- baby boom. And FYI, Carthage is still considered one of the best bands around. Tru storie! 

2 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I was starting to kinda like you till you called me old. KirtFalcon is a baby boomer. I am a couple of decades post- baby boom. And FYI, Carthage is still considered one of the best bands around. Tru storie! 

I see the '82 in your name. Just thought I'd have a lil fun with you lol. 

8 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

That may sound good, but if you consider that a band may have a 1 1/2 hour bus ride home (which means after a game that ends at 10:15 they’re looking at midnight getting home and 1:00 a.m. getting in the bed with a 9:00 a.m. performance at a venue over an hour away, which means being at the school no later than 6:30 a.m. Also, consider that the 5-8 minute performance they have is essentially their playoffs, with no do-overs. You either get it perfect and score a 1 to advance, or you don’t. How many football coaches would consider keeping their kids out till midnight when they have a 9-10 a.m. kickoff the next day? 

To each his own. We have never left a football game AND have had very similar scenarios you describe. I guess some band directors just have different philosophies than others. 😂  (NOT a knock on any particular band....I don’t know who does what.). Some directors will also take time off from playing on a Friday night because they have a contest the next day.....resting your lips? OR not wear uniforms.....😂 🤷‍♂️  I don’t know. It’s up to the community and their expectation. Our expectation is that the band will be at every football game for the entire game. And it works for us! Lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

To each his own. We have never left a football game AND have had very similar scenarios you describe. I guess some band directors just have different philosophies than others. 😂  (NOT a knock on any particular band....I don’t know who does what.). Some directors will also take time off from playing on a Friday night because they have a contest the next day.....resting your lips? OR not wear uniforms.....😂🤷‍♂️  I don’t know. It’s up to the community and their expectation. Our expectation is that the band will be at every football game for the entire game. And it works for us! Lol

Correct. For example, due to the potential for muddy field conditions Friday night (it actually held up well) our band director and Timpson’s director mutually agreed that neither would wear uniforms for the game because getting them cleaned for contest on Saturday would be next to impossible. Both bands stayed for the entire game, partly because Timpson wasn’t scheduled to march until 11:30 Saturday. There is a lot of sportsmanship among East Texas bands. 

4 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Correct. For example, due to the potential for muddy field conditions Friday night (it actually held up well) our band director and Timpson’s director mutually agreed that neither would wear uniforms for the game because getting them cleaned for contest on Saturday would be next to impossible. Both bands stayed for the entire game, partly because Timpson wasn’t scheduled to march until 11:30 Saturday. There is a lot of sportsmanship among East Texas bands. 

That’s awesome. And agreed on the sportsmanship! 👍👍👍

• Mr. P changed the title to Why are bands allowed to play during game?