Why are bands allowed to play during game?

marvda1

I have kids that played football and also were in band, plus daughter was in color guard.  Enjoyed watching both.

I'm all for the bands playing during the game.  Like other have said, it adds to the atmosphere of the game plus it's the only time they get to play besides band competitions.  The only time I've ever seen a coach complain about a band was our coach, when our band played while we were on offense (director had no concept of football - he was only there for one year IIRC).  Before I went to competitions I thought they would be a snooze fest; I was wrong.  Probably has something to do with whether or not your kids are performing, but I was impressed with what a lot of the schools could do.

I have seen Alto's band at a couple playoff games, and they are excellent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/19/2019 at 8:35 AM, TheShadowKnows said:

Bands should play during the game, always have and always will. The real question is why do they have props!! What is the point of those things! 

I agree. I love both bands playing and pumping up their teams.  However,  I'm confused on props and the new style of their show.  But I do enjoy them. Bands need to keep playing during games.   

• Like 1

If everyone would consider all the band scholarships that Alto have received since Mr. E gotten there. If the scholarships were going to their kids, they might change their mind. Been a lot more band scholarships handed out than football scholarships. Just another door opened for the kids to get an higher education!🤔 Think about it 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2019 at 4:33 PM, TheShadowKnows said:

Listen I played football and I have strummed a guitar. Football is way more exhausting and labor intensive. I am not is shape and can still pick, but ain’t no way my big self is able to run around on a football field, anymore. 

You know, I debated responding to this. 

But come on - Are you seriously comparing sitting, or even standing, strumming a guitar to marching precise yet abstract patterns and timings amongst 50 to 150+ other performers? We've had two boys in band for six years each. I've spent my fair of time around the band and I've seen the work these kids put behind their passion. No,it's not a contact sport. I roll my eyes so hard at people who say soccer players are just as tough as football players.

I've also played guitar myself onstage. No way would I compare that to the effort of marching bands.

• Like 3
  • Stinks 1

On 10/21/2019 at 4:50 PM, JACKETLIFE said:

If everyone would consider all the band scholarships that Alto have received since Mr. E gotten there. If the scholarships were going to their kids, they might change their mind. Been a lot more band scholarships handed out than football scholarships. Just another door opened for the kids to get an higher education!🤔 Think about it 

NO ONE is complaining about Alto's and. They are the exception but for the most part band scholarships are not full. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

NO ONE is complaining about Alto's and. They are the exception but for the most part band scholarships are not full. 

I don’t think any band scholarships amount to a full ride like D1 football scholarships. At least not for freshman flute players at SFA lol. 

• LOL! 1

35 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I don’t think any band scholarships amount to a full ride like D1 football scholarships. At least not for freshman flute players at SFA lol. 

Agreed, band scholarships aren’t the same.  But (except for the rare all star athletes) there aren’t that many kids that get full ride D1 football scholarships either. D2, D3, JUCO, maybe...and I’ve seen STELLAR talents be happy with any scholarship offered.  To each his own, I guess.

28 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Right. Very few schools if any give full scholarships just for marching band. My son is a music major at SMU & he received a full ride, but it’s due to the combination of Mustang Band, Meadows School of the Arts, & academic scholarships. This year that amounts to just over $77,000. It goes up every year, & thankfully, so do his scholarship amounts to compensate for the increases. However, even a partial scholarship for marching band can mean the difference in a kid getting a college education, & not being able to go to school at all. More kids from Paul Pewitt have gone to college on band/music scholarships in the last 10 yrs. than they have football. No one should ever discount the importance & value of music, & the high school band experience. They pay off in more ways than one! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BlueBlazes said:

Right. Very few schools if any give full scholarships just for marching band. My son is a music major at SMU & he received a full ride, but it’s due to the combination of Mustang Band, Meadows School of the Arts, & academic scholarships. This year that amounts to just over $77,000. It goes up every year, & thankfully, so do his scholarship amounts to compensate for the increases. However, even a partial scholarship for marching band can mean the difference in a kid getting a college education, & not being able to go to school at all. More kids from Paul Pewitt have gone to college on band/music scholarships in the last 10 yrs. than they have football. No one should ever discount the importance & value of music, & the high school band experience. They pay off in more ways than one! 

I have nothing against bands and it's definitely important. Just not a fan of glorified practices during halftime. Ever notice how halftime drills all of a sudden aren't elaborate after contest? At some schools you may get 1/4 of the drill and a fight song. That just confirmd the practice argument for me. Heck I'd rather watch the Frisbee catching dog the Mavericks have during their halftime show. 

8 hours ago, ctown81 said:

I have nothing against bands and it's definitely important. Just not a fan of glorified practices during halftime. Ever notice how halftime drills all of a sudden aren't elaborate after contest? At some schools you may get 1/4 of the drill and a fight song. That just confirmd the practice argument for me. Heck I'd rather watch the Frisbee catching dog the Mavericks have during their halftime show. 

I don’t understand doing the same show all year! Same thing week in & week out. In my day, we did a different show for every home game & worked on our contest show at away games & the practice field. Ever now & then, we’d go through both shows in one practice. We typically did the contest show at home only once, (after we were done competing), & maybe a playoff game if the crowd really liked it. I realize much has changed since the 80’s, & for the most part the reasons for those changes make sense. However, this is one that completely baffles me! 

1 hour ago, AKA said:

I love the Lobo Band, they add so much atmosphere to home games.

But I know visiting teams don't really enjoy them playing for the better part of 48 minutes. :D 

Yes don't they have some unbelievable record at sweepstakes ? That got to be a record. 

18 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Yes don't they have some unbelievable record at sweepstakes ? That got to be a record. 

At the very least it ties the State record...  we've been trying to find out if it's a national record. 

On 10/20/2019 at 8:36 PM, StingEmALTO said:

Alto football games would not be the same without the band. I’m a band dad and a football dad. There were folks asking if our band could play at the scrimmages. 😂 AND there are folks who come to our games from other towns to see the band. True story.

Now, I understand that if it was the Friday night of our bye week and the band decided to do their show at the stadium that we wouldn’t have the same numbers that show up to our football games. We live in Texas and that’s the main show after all! BUT, we do have higher than average support for our band program. They have a big following and lots of folks travel to the Battle of the Band contests in support of them.

One other thing I would like to mention is the relationship between our band and athletic directors. Those gentlemen are on the same team and it is evident. I told Coach Meeks when he came here that our band is literally part of the defense. Lol They bring the soundtrack to Friday nights, pep rally etc. The stands are rocking from the time they enter the stadium until the school song after the game. Mr. E (band director) loves football and watches the game and knows when to be loud and when to get quiet. I’ve never seen anything like it. Need a defensive stand? They play the defense dittie. Kickoff time? They are jamming and the football players are feeling it, helmets moving to the music, even dancing. PUMPS them up as well as the crowd. I get a kick out of watching the opposing teams enjoy it and their band and fans dancing and joining in. Just brings the game experience to another level. That’s why Caleb Beames of The Red Zone recently responded to a tweet on Greg Tepper’s Twitter feed that said, and I quote: “Favorite band has to be Alto.....It’s a party every night in the stands.” 🐝💪

We have something special cooking in Alto and are definitely blessed by great leadership. As our superintendent said in our Bond Town Hall Meeting the other night: “It’s a great day to be a Yellowjacket!”

CA94E7CF-1CC6-4F88-A5DB-5AB36830808C.jpeg

I’ve never heard them, but always hear good things about the Alto band. I have to go and watch them one day. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, AKA said:

At the very least it ties the State record...  we've been trying to find out if it's a national record. 

Quite a Amazing feat. I am not much into bands or knowling know how difficult that is but that longevity of excellence is impressive. Leadership must be very stable . 

1 minute ago, Champ1000 said:

Quite a Amazing feat. I am not much into bands or knowling know how difficult that is but that longevity of excellence is impressive. Leadership must be very stable. 

Meh...  can't speak to that (paging @jbabi86) but I can say that the expectation for excellence as a culture is very, very high. It's at least as high as that of the football team. Some would argue it's even higher. Lobo Band members hear it from their elder siblings, parents, grandparents, and even great-grandparents if their performances are anything less than razor sharp. 

During the halftime show a couple weeks ago one of the lines got slightly off and I heard an audible gasp collectively from the bleachers. You woulda thought the drum major had mooned the audience or something.

Lobo Nation takes their band pretty serious. 

• Thanks 1

• Mr. P changed the title to Why are bands allowed to play during game?