Cameron-Yoe @ Rockdale -Battle of the Bell 2019

88YoePride

2019 Battle of the Bell  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Rockdale TIGERS
    • Cameron YOEMEN

One of the state's top rivalries takes place this Friday night in Rockdale.  Cameron has traditionally owned the series, but Coach Miller at Rockdale has done a nice job of making it more even during his tenure.  

Both of these teams have been able to score points, but each defense has had some issues against top competition.  So, this certainly appears to be a shootout in the making.  The winner will be the second seed and the loser third unless something crazy happens.  

IMO, if you're looking at a path to the third round, the #3 seed is the slightly easier, but no one will care about that on Friday night.  

• Like 1

Battle of the Bell week is here.  This game will come down to who can take care of the ball.  Every possesion will be important.  The team that can get a stop defensively and can get at least one turnover, will take the bell home.   The game being played over in Rockdale definitely benefits the Tigers.  Saying all that I still think the Tigers strenght of schedule is catching up with them.  Hopefully the Yoemen can make a stop.  In an offensive back and forth game, I'll take the Yoemen in a nail biter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yoenation79 said:

Battle of the Bell week is here.  This game will come down to who can take care of the ball.  Every possesion will be important.  The team that can get a stop defensively and can get at least one turnover, will take the bell home.   The game being played over in Rockdale definitely benefits the Tigers.  Saying all that I still think the Tigers strenght of schedule is catching up with them.  Hopefully the Yoemen can make a stop.  In an offensive back and forth game, I'll take the Yoemen in a nail biter.

Correct.  Turning the ball over in this game is not an option as you will probably need to keep scoring.  I need to see a strong performance from the Yoe offensive line this week.   

Personally, I believe the pressure should be on Cameron to win this game.  Cameron is the one with the senior quarterback, 2 senior running backs, and top receiver being a senior (though one underclassmen is excellent).  

Rockdale's QB, running back, and four of their top five receivers are all underclassmen.   This is played in Rockdale, but this is supposed to be Cameron's year.  It's not too late, but going on the road and losing this is really not an option if you're looking to build momentum and make a deep playoff run.  

• Like 1

Guest Tiger03lb

Key for a yoe win is to contain #3 and get pressure on their qb. He doesn't make good decisions when he is under pressure from what I've seen. If it's a shootout late in the game, yoe will need to bring it as rockdale seemed sluggish mid 4th qtr. 

On 10/19/2019 at 11:06 PM, Yoe09 said:
On 10/19/2019 at 11:06 PM, Yoe09 said:

One of the state's top rivalries takes place this Friday night in Rockdale.  Cameron has traditionally owned the series, but Coach Miller at Rockdale has done a nice job of making it more even during his tenure.  

Both of these teams have been able to score points, but each defense has had some issues against top competition.  So, this certainly appears to be a shootout in the making.  The winner will be the second seed and the loser third unless something crazy happens.  

IMO, if you're looking at a path to the third round, the #3 seed is the slightly easier, but no one will care about that on Friday night.  

Your statement about the defenses is so true... Rockdale gave up 62 to Troy in a big game and Yoe gave up 59 to the same team. That kind of defense will not get very far in the playoffs, whether you're 2nd or 3rd seed. 

Given that, keeping turnovers to a minimum is key because the defense will not be able to get you out of a jam too many times. 

Lets see who can step up in the biggest game of the season. 

• Like 1

You could see the begining of the onslaught of defensive issues for the Yoemen  really in the game against Malakoff in 2016.  Then in 2017 the great collapse.  Yoemen use to hang their hat on how well they played defense.  Those days seem to be long gone with this HC/DC.  Prior staffs looked to get that disrupter at the nose position and an atheletic middle linebacker.  If that meant a 2 way starter so be it.  These are 16 and 17 year olds they should have energy to burn.   The talent is there for the Yoemen every year.   It just haven't been utilized properly.  Now as fans we just hope we can out score or play an inferior opponent.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

Either way it goes its either franklin or diboll in the 2nd round for yoe and rockdale.... Region 3 is a slaughterhouse that take no prisoner's

The winner of Reg 3 is going to be battered, bruised and battle tested for sure.

2 hours ago, player73 said:

I know both of these teams have plenty of talent but how Troy handled both of them has me curious about just how good they really are. Don’t get wrong, I know they are good but how deep of a run do they have in them. I’m taking Yoe. 

I think you make a valid point.  Do really good teams give up 59 and 62 to Troy?  The answer is absolutely not.  I'm not trying to knock Troy here because this may be the best team they've ever had, but I don't see them as elite.  They are ranked 2nd in the state in two well-respected power polls, ahead of the likes of Grandview and Malakoff.  

The goal for either Cameron or Rockdale in this game,should not only be the win, but to look impressive while doing it.  Yes, this is a rivalry game, but would a 62-59 type of win really be all that impressive?  To me, you have to be able to play defense in the playoffs, and that is just around the corner.  

Texas Football has the Tigers 4 pt. favorites.  Which would mean that Rockdale would get an defensive stop or a turnover.  Turnovers were a big issue for the Yoemen during the Troy game.   3 turnovers and a 17 pt. defasent in the first half of the first quarter was too deep of a hole for them to dig out.  That can not happen against the Tigers.   If so we may see a 60 + pt. game for the home team.

• Like 1