Melissa at Argyle

CrankyOldMan

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

Margin of victory could make a difference if the district ends up with 3 teams tied and each beat the other in a round robin sort of result.  But that is an unusual situation and may not even come into play for the district tie-breaker rules.......I don't know.

Celina isn't beating Argyle trust me. Celina's offense is bad, bad and more bad, they have no passing game because the oline is so poor.

25 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Argyle is not keen on putting up a lot of points just to put up points. 

What? You are joking right? All Argyle cares about is putting up a bunch of points. Or that’s what it looks like from an outside perspective. It was 67-6 against Sanger. 62-7 against CH. 63-14 against NL. The scores against bad teams are like this every year. 

2 reasons for a good team to score 60. The opponent scores 40+. Or you like to score just to score.

2 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

They did. But LV forgot how to play offense and defense in the 1st half against Argyle. So now we gotta listen to how they are unstoppable (same as every year), until y’all knock them out of the playoffs.

Argyle is no joke.  They have lots of weapons and a really good offensive system.   There were a few plays that could of turned that game in LV favor but that's football, and you have to get stops and we were unable to do that in the first half.  Hoping for a rematch, both teams will have a tough road to get there though.  

6 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

What? You are joking right? All Argyle cares about is putting up a bunch of points. Or that’s what it looks like from an outside perspective. It was 67-6 against Sanger. 62-7 against CH. 63-14 against NL. The scores against bad teams are like this every year. I cannot remember Surratt beating teams like that. I don’t even think he has scored 60 many times since he has been at Carthage.

2 reasons for a good team to score 60. The opponent scores 40+. Or you like to score just to score.

If you study all the games with high scores for Argyle.......they have put up at least 40 pts in the first half in those games.  I would not say there is anything wrong with scoring as many as you can in the first half of games.  In the 2nd halfs.......if the second and third teamers score against the opponent, then that's THEIR fault, not Argyle's.

If you study all the games with high scores for Argyle.......they have put up at least 40 pts in the first half in those games.  I would not say there is anything wrong with scoring as many as you can in the first half of games.  In the 2nd halfs.......if the second and third teamers score against the opponent, then that's THEIR fault, not Argyle's.

I say score at will, its the other teams job to stop you. You dont tell back ups not to score they practice and work to during the week and want to be rewarded also.

2 minutes ago, RedRed said:

I say score at will, its the other teams job to stop you. You dont tell back ups not to score they practice and work to during the week and want to be rewarded also.

Really? So you are cool with embarrassing kids from Sanger? Or NL? Look I don’t even care about running up the score. It’s just a game. But if you can let the other team leave with some respect and something to build from, I think that is a good thing.

This conversation is just another reason we love Scott Surratt!!

3 hours ago, RedRed said:

With it raining I would bet on a big crowd from Melissa showing up, I could be wrong but last year when we played in Celina it rained and I bet Melissa didnt have 200 people show up.

Oh they will show up alright.......with high hopes to beat Argyle in their own stadium and win the district title.  Argyle hasn't lost a home game in 33 straight games I believe.

Now all of you East Texas posters will know why they rank Argyle highly every year......they have EARNED it!  Just because they lose a playoff game here and there and do not go to Jerryworld every year does not detract from the overall quality of their teams.  That's what is supposed to happen in the Texas High School Football Playoffs.......competitive games among the best teams each year.  The best team does not ever always win.......there are too many variables against that happening.  What Newton has done, and Aledo are anomolies.  Even Highland Park and Carthage lose in the playoffs more than they win for a trip to the SC title game......that's just a testament to the high quality of play in  Texas high school football.

9 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Even Highland Park and Carthage lose in the playoffs more than they win for a trip to the SC title game......that's just a testament to the high quality of play in  Texas high school football.

Well that’s not actually true. Surratt has been to the playoffs as a HC 12 times. He has won 6 state titles. So he does not “lose in the playoffs more than they win for a trip to the SC title game”. 

So Carthage over the past 12 years only are even at best, Huh?  And that means they are by far the exception along with Newton and Aledo. Argyle has been playing football only 16 seasons and has been to a SC title game 5 times.......not too shabby either.  It's tough to be perfect and even tougher to be humble. I believe it gets even tougher as teams move up in classification and schedule better opponents when they can.

15 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Now all of you East Texas posters will know why they rank Argyle highly every year......they have EARNED it!  Just because they lose a playoff game here and there and do not go to Jerryworld every year does not detract from the overall quality of their teams.  That's what is supposed to happen in the Texas High School Football Playoffs.......competitive games among the best teams each year.  The best team does not ever always win.......there are too many variables against that happening.  What Newton has done, and Aledo are anomolies.  Even Highland Park and Carthage lose in the playoffs more than they win for a trip to the SC title game......that's just a testament to the high quality of play in  Texas high school football.

Regionally bias

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, regaleagle said:

So Carthage over the past 12 years only are even at best, Huh?  And that means they are by far the exception along with Newton and Aledo. Argyle has been playing football only 16 seasons and has been to a SC title game 5 times.......not too shabby either.  It's tough to be perfect and even tougher to be humble.

Yes Argyle has an excellent football program. Very impressive. Even more impressive is the overall athletic and academics program at Argyle. Crazy all the LSC. Baseball program is unbelievable. Rated as one of the top teams in the nation.

Only blemish on Argyle’s pristine program is the 1-4 football record in state championship games, and early exits the last 3 years when everybody was saying they were unbeatable.

1 minute ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Yes Argyle has an excellent football program. Very impressive. Even more impressive is the overall athletic and academics program at Argyle. Crazy all the LSC. Baseball program is unbelievable. Rated as one of the top teams in the nation.

Only blemish on Argyle’s pristine program is the 1-4 football record in state championship games, and early exits the last 3 years when everybody was saying they were unbeatable.

If you are a true Texas high school football fan, you would not have made that statement because you would have already known the record does not really reflect the resulting outcome.  The record by today's standards and rules should stand at 2-3.  Still a pretty good record for a school with only one HC since its first full season.

Boy you just said a mouthful.......very biased from the East Texas side on this site for sure. 

Well you expect less ? This is an East Texas website with some Central Texas feel because of Mr Smoaky. He start was in the Pineywoods. On the other hand you can't actually dismiss the Success of Carthage either. Personally I rather have the rings than regular season titles. 

• Thumbs Down 1

If you are a true Texas high school football fan, you would not have made that statement because you would have already known the record does not really reflect the resulting outcome.  The record by today's standards and rules should stand at 2-3.  Still a pretty good record for a school with only one HC since its first full season.

True the standards it set high but Argyle hasn't accomplished as much as others. Good program but could be so much more. Kinda like the Atlanta Braves of the 90s everyone wanted to be the Yankees. 

"Early exits" by whose standards.......Carthage???  I'm very proud of the Argyle Eagles teams and what they have been able to accomplish with the personnel they have had over the years.  I think overall Coach Rodgers and his staffs have done an excellent job and really solidified the programs.

"Early exits" by whose standards.......Carthage???  I'm very proud of the Argyle Eagles teams and what they have been able to accomplish with the personnel they have had over the years.  I think overall Coach Rodgers and his staffs have done an excellent job and really solidified the programs.

Regal - Here’s the deal man, I’m gonna need more cowbell!  😂

• Like 1