Melissa at Argyle

CrankyOldMan

63-28 and then 70-28 a minute later after the Pick 6 off the screen pass.......still in the 3rd.  Argyle tried to kill the clock, but Melissa kept scoring.  Can't blame them......it was their backups doing the scoring against Argyle's backups.  They won the backups contest for sure.  

5 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

I was close! Argyle offense is impressive. 

Ha I thought about that prediction at one point in second half.  

Lewis is the real deal!  I think 3 of the 4 TD’s they scored against the argyle 1’s was 50+ runs by him.

39 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Yea, They are so good I think I would make them go both ways 😂

I mean, if your that good on offense surely it would relate to playing good defense? Qb could play MLB, etc.

Don’t want to get the starting QB hurt playing LB though. Now, if you really had to put some receivers at DB, etc I get that. 

8 hours ago, regaleagle said:

63-28 and then 70-28 a minute later after the Pick 6 off the screen pass.......still in the 3rd.  Argyle tried to kill the clock, but Melissa kept scoring.  Can't blame them......it was their backups doing the scoring against Argyle's backups.  They won the backups contest for sure.  

Hahahaha!!! Why would Melissa have backups playing in the 3rd quarter? 

Just now, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Yes, but this thread is about Argyle. I was kidding with BB12.

Do you get to go to many of the Argyle games? I’m curious about what the defense looks like in person this year. Melissa’s point total last night is not a ton of scoring the Eagles gave up. People continue to question the Argyle defense, but it was good enough to beat La Vega at the beginning of the season. 

8 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Do you get to go to many of the Argyle games? I’m curious about what the defense looks like in person this year. Melissa’s point total last night is not a ton of scoring the Eagles gave up. People continue to question the Argyle defense, but it was good enough to beat La Vega at the beginning of the season. 

No but I do know Melissa has a very good offense as well. They have a very good QB and some great receivers.

I think Melissa stuck 54 on Paris. That's impressive.

You can not gift a great team like Argyle 21 points in the 1st quarter an expect to have any chance to win. The weather was miserable in 1st Q but Argyle seemed to handle it better. Seemed like Melissa settle down after that but it was too late.

Other than the fumbles and blocked punt a few other turning points in the 1st half.. One the same play Tito went down for the Eagles Melissa lost one of their best defensive players in #16 who never returned. He played huge against Paris & Celina and was a blow to an already depleted Melissa D. The final 2 minutes of the 1st half was what appeared to be a very late hit on Lewis after a long 3rd down run but flag was picked up. Melissa called a time out then #2 from Argyle joined Melissa's huddle and refused to leave....was so odd. Eagles stuffed Melissa on 4th down then scored on their own 4th down on last play of half after some very questionable clock operating.

I think Argyle's D is not as bad as many make them out to be. They are good up front (Van Poppel is a beast) and defend the pass well. Their run D is questionable but Lewis was probably the best player on field so he's gonna do his thing.

That big TE for Argyle #87 is a monster. He is huge, a great blocker and catches everything that comes near him. He creates huge matchup problems for any team. The backup RB Ferris was 'next man up' for Argyle and played great. Not how much of that was due to a very good Eagle O -line but he stepped up nonetheless.

Looking at the 4A D1 top 20 teams I just do not see anybody except Carthage beating Argyle. Celina...no way. Decatur...no, LaVega in a rematch...don't think so. Many years an Argyle-Carthage title game looked likely but just never happened...I think this will be the year but so much football left.

10 minutes ago, Texski said:

Other than the fumbles and blocked punt a few other turning points in the 1st half.. One the same play Tito went down for the Eagles Melissa lost one of their best defensive players in #16 who never returned. He played huge against Paris & Celina and was a blow to an already depleted Melissa D. The final 2 minutes of the 1st half was what appeared to be a very late hit on Lewis after a long 3rd down run but flag was picked up. Melissa called a time out then #2 from Argyle joined Melissa's huddle and refused to leave....was so odd. Eagles stuffed Melissa on 4th down then scored on their own 4th down on last play of half after some very questionable clock operating.

Looking at the 4A D1 top 20 teams I just do not see anybody except Carthage beating Argyle. Celina...no way. Decatur...no, LaVega in a rematch...don't think so. Many years an Argyle-Carthage title game looked likely but just never happened...I think this will be the year but so much football left.

What in the world is up with this? 

19 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Now a little scuffle going on inside the 5 yd line........a little chippy now by Melissa.

Melissa unknowingly picked the absolute last kid on the Argyle team you would want to start a scuffle with. The #8 kid is currently ranked 2 in State 5A in his weight class for wrestling and has won Fort Worth Regional Golden Gloves two times as well. They were lucky he was disciplined enough not to turn it loose on them. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 11:32 AM, Footballalltheway said:

Defense wins championships. At least you have to have a little defense these days.  Argyle’s defense may be better then expected but I also think people over rate Melissa’s offense a little.  Other then the QB who else can beat you on that team?  Argyle’s DB’s lined up nose to nose with the Melissa receivers and shut them down.  No respect for the Melissa receivers were going to beat them deep.  All they had working was their QB to run the ball but he is fantastic just not much to help him last night.

Melissa’s D.  Where do you start?  D-line got dominated, LB’s washed out every play, secondary just outmanned, out of position.  I guess no depth because they rotated very little.  Argyle’s O had a ton to do with it but if your Melissa you have to put a higher premium on D.

On a positive for Melissa their back ups looked good.  Don’t know what classification any of them are but if they are soph. & juniors they have something to look forward to.  

Based on weather being a factor and Argyle getting spotted 21 points its possible they meet again if Melissa can shore up its D.  Would like to see that game played in good weather.    

So it was 70 to 28 with first teams in early in 3rd and y’all are questioning the defense?  It may be ok.  It started out 28-0. The argyle offense didn’t cause those turnovers. Just saying

If Celina had run an offense similar to what they just ran against Anna, they'd have beaten Melissa by two possessions. If these two teams were to meet again, I'd suspect that kind of outcome. It was amazing watching them run some completely different offensive sets to help the walking wounded offensive line ... and have success. Granted, it's Anna. But the formations were clearly built to help Watson succeed throwing the ball, despite the injuries and inconsistency of the offensive line. They got a lot of kiddos in on the action, players I've been wanting to see them disperse the ball to this season. It was exactly what's been lacking. Even in games against lesser competition, the Bobcats just haven't been showing what they did against Anna.

In addition to that, Celina's defense is much better than Melissa's overall. The Bobcats matchup better against Argyle than the Cardinals did. And I say that, still fully aware that Argyle might hang 70 on Celina in a couple weeks. In fact, I suspect they will if the Bobcats resort back to the style of offense they ran against Melissa. Because I can guarantee the Eagles' defense will be bringing the house on every single play until the Celina offense forces them to stop, by spreading the field and getting multiple athletes involved.