Coldest high school football game you ever been to

3rdcoastent

On 10/25/2019 at 9:45 PM, jacketgrad06 said:

This was my answer. 95 in Palestine was by far the coldest I have been too.  I remember as a kid begging to go home.  But we didn’t until the very end. lol

The 07 temperature wasn’t bad once you got out of that wind tunnel of a stadium lol. It funneled the wind to be so much worse then it was.  Funny thing is in 06 it was so hot I was sweating. 

I was at that one it was cold 

In 1977, I was a know-it-all 13 year old kid. Dad worked with a lot of guys from Port Neches - Goves, so after the playoffs began we always followed the PN-G Indians. They had a great team, and made it to the State Championship game in the old "open air" Texas Stadium vs. Plano. We left early that morning and drove up to Dallas. Dad told me about 5 times the night before "You better bring a heavy coat!". As a know-it-all 13 year old, I repetitively blew off Dads warnings. After all, it was still near 80 degrees in Port Arthur. We loaded up and headed north. 

I enjoyed the long ride up to Dallas, oblivious that a hard, hard cold front was sweeping south towards us. What 13 year old pays attention to the weather anyway? Somewhere around Corsicana, I noticed Dad put the heater on. Then, I noticed frost accumulating outside the windows! What the heck was going on?? I had a worried feeling inside but did not say anything. We roll into the Texas Stadium parking lot. This won't be so bad, right? 

Dad opens the door and a 25 MPH wind and about 20 degrees of cold smacks me hard. Before I can take 10 steps, I am shivering in my thin T-shirt. We stand in line for tickets, and after 20 minutes outside or so I am frozen. Inside, we sit on the hard plastic blue seats. The howling wind blows in from the open ring around the upper seats and the hole in the roof. Getting seated inside does nothing to warm me up.

After the 1st quarter, I am miserable and desperate. Shivering uncontrollably, I look for anything to cover me. Inside a trash can, I see a number of empty red & white popcorn boxes. I also see assorted paper trash and a discarded game program. Trying to improvise, I open multiple popcorn boxes and use them as sleeves. I stuff the pages of the program and other paper trash inside the boxes for insulation. I put more popcorn boxes on my legs, too. One goes on my head for a hat. What a sight! Dad is silent. He just shakes his head.

So there I am, sitting in Texas Stadium, still shivering, covered with popcorn boxes and trash, trying to survive the game. I got LOTS of crazy looks sitting there. Somehow I lived through it. PN-G ended up losing to Plano, but we were part of the record attendance for a single game in UIL history. 49,953 were there, and about 49,952 were dressed appropriately for the bitter cold. One young man covered with trash popcorn boxes thought he "knew-it-all", but realized he really did not. He listened to his wise Dad much better after that. LOL.             

• Like 2
  • LOL! 2

1 hour ago, BlackBeard said:

2013.  Daingerfield vs New Boston playoff in Mt. Pleasant.  Windchill had to have been close to 0 F. 

I was planning to attend that game. Way to cold for me not having a cat in that fight. I drove through the parking lot and about froze just watching everyone shiver! And yes the wind chill was in the low single digits best I remember.

93 Garrison @ Timpson

rained all day that friday with the temps hovering just above freezing. Game time it was below that with wind like crazy. There were no cheerleaders or bands and just a hand full of spectators. Believe they beat us 13-7 . On a dry field they would have beat us by however much they wanted. . Timpson had some players then , Demetrius Mosely , Eric Yarbrough , Michael Osby to name a few. We warmed up on our field ..jumped on the bus and went straight to the field for kickoff.

On 10/30/2019 at 11:13 AM, AnOldBuckeye said:

Gilmer vs Olney somewhere out near Fort Worth in '60 or '61.  The temp was hovering around 18 degrees all night, with about a 25 mph wind.  I thought my ringers and toes were gonna freeze off.  Plus, we lost,,, that made it that much worse.  People brought large paper grocery bags to put their feet down into and tied them tight around their calves, trying to stay warm.  Not many, (if any)  folks had insulated boots back them.  

My granddad talks about playing in this ball game. He talked about how cold it was. I believe he said it was in Marlin If he remembered correctly. 

2013 playoff game in Corsicana. It was 32 degrees with rain,  that turned into sleet mid 1st quarter and continued the rest of the game. Stayed until the end, but visited the heated bathrooms a few times to knock the chill off a little bit.

1 hour ago, CDAWG68 said:

2013 playoff game in Corsicana. It was 32 degrees with rain,  that turned into sleet mid 1st quarter and continued the rest of the game. Stayed until the end, but visited the heated bathrooms a few times to knock the chill off a little bit.

That was a chilly, wet game to sit through...

2 hours ago, CDAWG68 said:

I was there and we were on the visitors side that night. Thank goodness we were, because Navasota fans had it hitting them right in the face. Where we were sitting the wind had the mist kind of swirling over the top of us and we didn’t get that wet.

I brought my coworker and her husband who was always asking me about the Dawgs. They live in Lillian just south of Mansfield. We had a great time!

On 10/24/2019 at 6:26 AM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Your ‘07 title game in Midlothian is the coldest game I’ve ever attended as well. Halftime in that heated bathroom was heaven!

Yeah the temperature for that game wasn't exactly horrible, but the 40+ mph wind made it devastating.  I too was in that bathroom at halftime.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 11:20 AM, bigdawg16 said:

93 Garrison @ Timpson

rained all day that friday with the temps hovering just above freezing. Game time it was below that with wind like crazy. There were no cheerleaders or bands and just a hand full of spectators. Believe they beat us 13-7 . On a dry field they would have beat us by however much they wanted. . Timpson had some players then , Demetrius Mosely , Eric Yarbrough , Michael Osby to name a few. We warmed up on our field ..jumped on the bus and went straight to the field for kickoff.

Good stuff!!