The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cujoforlife

Mock new East Texas 5a D1 District

15 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Is PG still considered a white flight school?  

I know it was in the 90s and early 2000s. But usually the demographics even out and then another school becomes the new white flight school. 

Not like it once was. Several neighborhoods have a number of Section 8 houses.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:25 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Ok, I'm going to try a more educated guess with what we know.

Right now, Longview is going to be counted as going down.
Royse City and North Forney should be also be moving up to D1.
Sherman was at 1,937 last go around, so I don't think they're going down.
We still haven't heard about Texas High, so until we have a number, we'll consider them D1.
We did find out from Stepp/DCTF that Mesquite Poteet turned in 1,813 so that is 5A D2 numbers.

So that gives us Longview, John Tyler, Sherman, West Mesquite, Wylie East, North Forney, Royse City, Texas High and McKinney North on the east side of things. Do they do an 9-team district? It's possible. They might not have a choice.

Highland Park has turned in a number that's mighty close to 6A. Lancaster will stay D1, Mansfield Legacy & Timberview will have Mansfield Summit join them from 6A. None of the DISD schools should drop.

But then you have a ton of schools over in the West DFW area that seem to be moving up. Aledo will be right on the line, Burleson Centennial turned in numbers very close to 1900, Cleburne turned in numbers above 1900. 

It'll be really interesting to see what they do out West. El Paso Eastwood doesn't have a number out, but they were up against the line last alignment. El Paso Eastlake is over 2300, so they're moving up. El Paso Chapin is below the 5A D2 line now so they're dropping. That's potentially just three El Paso schools. They'd have to put with them with the Lubbock/Amarillo schools, which would create a ripple effect as Region I would be down to just 3 districts. 

But really, I think the district has to be a 9-team district cause there's just no where for anyone else to go...so...
- John Tyler
- Longview
- McKinney North 
- North Forney 
- Royse City
- Sherman
- Texas High
- West Mesquite
- Wylie East

If Texas High drops, then an 8-team district would be perfect imo. 

Where are you getting the information that RC is moving up? They are expecting to stay in D2. Just wondering if you had a source. 

2 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Where are you getting the information that RC is moving up? They are expecting to stay in D2. Just wondering if you had a source. 

DCTF had them turning in 1904, which would be 5A D1. 

But they've since removed it, so maybe they're redoing the numbers?

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

DCTF had them turning in 1904, which would be 5A D1. 

But they've since removed it, so maybe they're redoing the numbers?

Ok. I have a Brother up there and they sure are hoping they stay D2 for 2 more years. The move up will be inevitable soon, if not this realignment. They are finally fielding a competitive D2 team. 

26 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Ok. I have a Brother up there and they sure are hoping they stay D2 for 2 more years. The move up will be inevitable soon, if not this realignment. They are finally fielding a competitive D2 team. 

Happy to see RC win.  When we played them in 2014 and 2015 you could definitely  tell they were on the way up. 

But it would be tough for them to compete in that D1 district IMHO.  Especially if Longview dropped... and you still have annual winners like Poteet and up and coming West Mesquite and McKinney North. If Texas High is having trouble competing.... it would be a nightmare for RC

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Happy to see RC win.  When we played them in 2014 and 2015 you could definitely  tell they were on the way up. 

But it would be tough for them to compete in that D1 district IMHO.  Especially if Longview dropped... and you still have annual winners like Poteet and up and coming West Mesquite and McKinney North. If Texas High is having trouble competing.... it would be a nightmare for RC

Poteet is dropping to D2 based on the numbers they've submitted. 

Yikes. 

They will flourish there. 

Poteet will be very good in D2. 

Hate to see Royse City drop. They are having a good year. They will struggle in D1. 

Same if Crandall moves up to 5A D2. I don't see them competing well there. 

45 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Poteet is dropping to D2 based on the numbers they've submitted. 

This could effect how they arrange the teams for the ET distirct as well.

maybe changes the conversation and prevents crandall, forney, terrell, ennis and corsicana coming east. 

8 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Same if Crandall moves up to 5A D2. I don't see them competing well there. 

They haven't been great in 4aD1, Forney and Kaufman haven't done well either.

11 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

They haven't been great in 4aD1, Forney and Kaufman haven't done well either.

No they havent. Kaufman has been terrible since moving to 5A. 

9 hours ago, swaha said:

PG is "limited", meaning you have to apply...acceptance is based on grades, test scores, disciplinary record, and room in the grade level. For example, I do not think PG can accept any transfers in to the 9th grade because they do not have room in that class. They have over 225 9th graders. A student would have to physically live in the district. As far as moving for athletic purposes, as long as the transfer sits out a year, then he /she is eligible the following year for varsity sports. 

so a kid could transfer to any school his fresh or soph yr because sitting out in any of the first 2 yrs isn't a big deal because you probably be on fresh or JV anyway. I guess there are loopholes around everything.

3 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

so a kid could transfer to any school his fresh or soph yr because sitting out in any of the first 2 yrs isn't a big deal because you probably be on fresh or JV anyway. I guess there are loopholes around everything.

Yes. It is happening at schools all over the state. 

On 10/27/2019 at 5:43 PM, swaha said:

I guess it depends on how one views it. At one time, PG could not take any white transfer students.  PG is one of the most diverse schools in Texarkana. It is still predominately white. I think it is around 70% white.

I'm not sure how to respond to that.   Nothing wrong with it......just not sure what that means

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

I'm not sure how to respond to that.   Nothing wrong with it......just not sure what that means

Yes, PG is still predominantly white. However, PG has more diversity now than in years past. There is 30% of the student population that do not identify as white. There are still people that have mis-conceptions of the school district. It more diverse now than anytime in its history. The data is out there on any school district.

1 minute ago, swaha said:

Yes, PG is still predominantly white. However, PG has more diversity now than in years past. There is 30% of the student population that do not identify as white. There are still people that have mis-conceptions of the school district. It more diverse now than anytime in its history. The data is out there on any school district.

I'd agree PG is more diverse now than ever. But Texas High has still got to be the most diverse.

11 hours ago, swaha said:

PG is "limited", meaning you have to apply...acceptance is based on grades, test scores, disciplinary record, and room in the grade level. For example, I do not think PG can accept any transfers in to the 9th grade because they do not have room in that class. They have over 225 9th graders. A student would have to physically live in the district. As far as moving for athletic purposes, as long as the transfer sits out a year, then he /she is eligible the following year for varsity sports. 

This is hilarious I know of three or four kids got accepted because they are good football players nothing to do with grades or anything else! Nobody is gonna believe this!  It's all about football that's it period!!

• Like 2
  • Stinks 1

1 minute ago, Hogman2018 said:

This is hilarious I know of three or four kids got accepted because they are good football players nothing to do with grades or anything else! Nobody is gonna believe this!  It's all about football that's it period!!

I didn't know you worked in administration. 

1 minute ago, dillonpanthers said:

I'd agree PG is more diverse now than ever. But Texas High has still got to be the most diverse.

For reference  Schooldigger.com shows:

PG high school: 74%white, 13%af. American, 6% hisp.

Texas High:  41% white, 40% af am, 13% hisp

LE: 51% af am , 38%white, 6% hisp

Arkansas High: 52% af am, 40% white, 5% hisp

Definitely wouldn't call PG one of the most diverse 

Just now, dillonpanthers said:

For reference  Schooldigger.com shows:

PG high school: 74%white, 13%af. American, 6% hisp.

Texas High:  41% white, 40% af am, 13% hisp

LE: 51% af am , 38%white, 6% hisp

Arkansas High: 52% af am, 40% white, 5% hisp

Definitely wouldn't call PG one of the most diverse 

I am not going to argue over data because there are different percentages out there. TEA has different percenatges.  It is more diverse now than in years past and that is a fact. 

6 minutes ago, swaha said:

I am not going to argue over data because there are different percentages out there. TEA has different percenatges.  It is more diverse now than in years past and that is a fact. 

Is already agreed with you on that above. But that doesnt make it one of the most diverse. I'd say they are 4th out of the 4 major high schools. 

51 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

I was looking like ### is he talking about lol

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Is already agreed with you on that above. But that doesnt make it one of the most diverse. I'd say they are 4th out of the 4 major high schools. 

Maybe the correct wording should have been more, instead of most. I have seen B+ ratings for PG involving diversity. I never said it is the most diverse. Does one have to have an A+ plus rating to be one of the most diverse, I guess it depends how you interpret data.

25 minutes ago, swaha said:

Not arguing that. Your statement was the most diverse in Texarkana.  It is the least.  Not a knock.....just a fact as you said

• Like 2

On 10/26/2019 at 11:25 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Ok, I'm going to try a more educated guess with what we know.

Right now, Longview is going to be counted as going down.
Royse City and North Forney should be also be moving up to D1.
Sherman was at 1,937 last go around, so I don't think they're going down.
We still haven't heard about Texas High, so until we have a number, we'll consider them D1.
We did find out from Stepp/DCTF that Mesquite Poteet turned in 1,813 so that is 5A D2 numbers.

So that gives us Longview, John Tyler, Sherman, West Mesquite, Wylie East, North Forney, Royse City, Texas High and McKinney North on the east side of things. Do they do an 9-team district? It's possible. They might not have a choice.

Highland Park has turned in a number that's mighty close to 6A. Lancaster will stay D1, Mansfield Legacy & Timberview will have Mansfield Summit join them from 6A. None of the DISD schools should drop.

But then you have a ton of schools over in the West DFW area that seem to be moving up. Aledo will be right on the line, Burleson Centennial turned in numbers very close to 1900, Cleburne turned in numbers above 1900. 

It'll be really interesting to see what they do out West. El Paso Eastwood doesn't have a number out, but they were up against the line last alignment. El Paso Eastlake is over 2300, so they're moving up. El Paso Chapin is below the 5A D2 line now so they're dropping. That's potentially just three El Paso schools. They'd have to put with them with the Lubbock/Amarillo schools, which would create a ripple effect as Region I would be down to just 3 districts. 

But really, I think the district has to be a 9-team district cause there's just no where for anyone else to go...so...
- John Tyler
- Longview
- McKinney North 
- North Forney 
- Royse City
- Sherman
- Texas High
- West Mesquite
- Wylie East

If Texas High drops, then an 8-team district would be perfect imo. 

If Poteet does go down, they are going to be hard to beat at D2.