Week Ten: Tyler Lee at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (8-0, 4-0) vs Tyler Lee Red Raiders (5-3, 2-2)  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Tyler Lee in a close one
    • Tyler Lee in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/02/2019 at 12:30 AM

longview.pngtylerlee.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (8-0, 4-0) VS TYLER LEE RED RAIDERS (5-3, 2-2)

DATE: Friday, November 2nd, 2019
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
TYLER LEE BROADCAST: 92.1 FM ESPN

longview.png LOBOS LEAD SERIES 43-14-2 longview.png

The Lobos have a 2-0 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 41-14-2 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 22-5-2 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 21-9 lead when the game is played at Tyler Lee.
Longview has won the last fourteen meetings with the Red Raiders.
Longview is 16-3-2 all-time against Tyler Lee at Lobo Stadium (new).
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played on November 1st.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
11.02.2018- Longview 63, Tyler Lee 14 - Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium
09.29.2017 - Longview 54, Tyler Lee 26 - Lobo Stadium
09.23.2016 - Longview 56, Tyler Lee 35 - Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium
10.31.2013 - Longview 63, Tyler Lee 7 - Lobo Stadium
11.02.2012 - Longview 52, Tyler Lee 6 - Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
The feeling of the 2019 season just getting underway, as turned to the side of things winding down. The Longview Lobos return home to Lobo Stadium for the final time of the regular season this Friday night, as they host the Robert E Lee Red Raiders for Senior Night. The Lobos, 8-0 overall and 4-0 in district play, are fresh off their largest victory of the season in a 55-0 beat down of the North Mesquite Stallions. The win for Longview was their 7th in a row over the Stallions, dating back to 2010. Overall, the Lobos have won 24 games in a row, 24 regular season games in a row and 16 district games in a row. The Lobos return home where Longview holds a 45-1 district record under current head coach John King, having won 17 games in a row. A win against the Lee Red Raiders will clinch Longview's 15th #1 seed in 16 seasons under John King. Tyler Lee (5-3, 2-2) comes into Friday's game with a case of the almosts. Two weeks ago, Tyler Lee held a 14-3 lead heading into the fourth quarter over Mesquite, only to lose that lead in the final 30 seconds and fall 18-14 at Hanby Stadium. This past Friday, the Red Raiders once again held a late lead on Rockwall, but the Yellowjackets overcame the Red Raiders and posted a 35-32 victory with a touchdown in the final two minutes. Lee comes into Friday's contest looking to post their 6th win of the season, clinching just their second winning season since 2009. But the Red Raiders, more importantly, are still looking to clinch a playoff berth, which would be their first since 2014. Longview's 55-0 win over North Mesquite clinched their 19th consecutive post season appearance and 45th overall in program history. The Lobos last missed the post season in 2000, when they posted a 3-7 (1-4) record. Longview and Robert E Lee meet each other for the 60th time on Friday night. The 60 meetings is the 5th most in Longview history. The Lobos, holding a 43-14-2 series lead, have won 14 in a row over their rivals to the west. Longview's last loss came in 2003, when the Lobos dropped an 18-14 decision to Lee after holding a 14-3 halftime lead. In the 16 years since that loss, the Lobos have steamrolled the Red Raiders..especially since 2010. The Lobos have scored 45 or more points in six consecutive meetings, and 50 or more in five consecutive meetings. While it looks like the Red Raiders are much improved from last season, where they dropped a 63-14 decision to the Lobos, they will have to slow down Longview's quick starts at home this year. The Lobos have outscored opponents 80-3 in the first half play through three games this season. It'll be a East Texas shootout this Friday between two strong running games, as the Lobos and Red Raiders battle in meeting #60. 

WEEK TEN 11-6A SCHEDULE:
Tyler Lee at Longview (Lobo Stadium)
North Mesquite v. Mesquite Horn (Mesquite Memorial Stadium)
Mesquite at Rockwall (Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium)
Rockwall Heath BYE WEEK

WEEK NINE 11-6A RESULTS:
Longview 55 North Mesquite 0
Rockwall 35 Tyler Lee 32
Rockwall Heath 47 Mesquite Horn 31
Mesquite BYE WEEK

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS
1st. Longview (8-0, 4-0)
2nd. Mesquite (7-1, 3-1)
3rd. Rockwall (7-2, 4-1)
4th. Tyler Lee (5-3, 2-2)
5th. Mesquite Horn (2-6, 1-3)
6th. Rockwall Heath (4-5, 1-4)
7th. North Mesquite (2-6, 0-4)

DISTRICT 12-6A OVERVIEW
This Week - Copperas Cove hosts Killeen Shoemaker. Killeen Ellison faces Killeen. Waco hosts Belton. Waco Midway hosts Temple.
Last Week - Belton defeated Killeen Ellison, 14-12. Copperas Cove defeated Killeen Harker Heights, 21-16. Temple defeated Waco, 57-13. Waco Midway defeated Killeen Shoemaker, 35-15.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 8-0 (4-0)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (176-36 in 16 seasons) (Playoffs: 40-14)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 737-345-52 (Playoffs: 69-41-1)
Playoff Appearances: 44
Last Playoff Appearance: 2018, 6A Division II State Championship
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.30 - at Lufkin - Win 24-21
09.06 - vs Marshall - Win 53-0
09.13 - at John Tyler - Win 42-0
09.20 - West Monroe (In Shreveport) - Win 17-7
09.27 - vs Rockwall - Win 49-3
10.11 - at Mesquite Horn - Win 44-20
10.18 - vs Rockwall Heath - Win 49-13
10.25 - at North Mesquite - Win 55-0
11.01 - vs Tyler Lee
11.08 - at Mesquite

TYLER LEE RED RAIDERS
Record: 5-3 (2-2)
District: 11-6A
Coach: Kurt Traylor (13-15 in 2 seasons) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 1958
All-Time Record: 297-336-20 (Playoffs: 22-17-0)
Playoff Appearances: 18
Last Playoff Appearance: 2014, 6A Division I Bi-District Round
State Championships (1): 2004 (5A D1)
State Championship Appearances (1): 2004 (5A D1)

SCHEDULE:
08.30 - at Marshall - Win 27-20
09.07 - v. John Tyler - Win 34-7
09.14 - vs Nacogdoches - Win 35-28
09.20 - at Mesquite Poteet - Loss 19-14
09.27 - at Rockwall Heath - Win 39-34
10.04 - vs North Mesquite - Win 35-17
10.18 - at Mesquite - Loss 18-14
10.25 - vs Rockwall - Loss 35-32
11.01 - at Longview
11.08 - vs Mesquite Horn

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: November 1st
In 1929, Longview blew out Winnsboro, 46-0, at Lobo Athletic Field in Longview.
In 1935, Jack Skipper scored three touchdowns in the first half, and George Black returned a 52 yard interception for a score as the Lobos rolled over Marshall, 40-6, at Maverick Stadium.
In 1940, Longview hosted Dallas Woodrow Wilson at Lobo Stadium and walked away with a 6-0 victory.
In 1957, Longview’s Douglas Bruner hauled in a 4 yard pass reception for a score to answer Marshall’s Bubba Agnor’s tally as Longview and Marshall battled to a 7-7 tie at Lobo Stadium.
In 1963, James Street took the ball and rushed in from three yards out early in the fourth quarter before the Lobo defense held up the rest of the way in a 13-8 victory over Marshall at Lobo Stadium.
In 1968, Longview rushed for 349 yards and rushed out to a 35-0 halftime lead before holding on to a 42-12 victory over Marshall Pemberton at Marshall’s Maverick Stadium. The Panthers turned the ball over 8 times on the night.
In 1969, Ronnie Davis tallied two scores, while 5 other Lobos scored touchdowns in a 51-6 beat down of Marshall Pemberton at Lobo Stadium.
In 1974, Leo McCoy tallied twice, Llewellyn Fambles rushed in from one yard out and Thomas Cook took a 16 yard rush into the end zone in a 29-14 win over Marshall at Maverick Stadium.
In 1985, Brian Williams hauled in a 62-yard pass reception for the lone touchdown of the night, as Longview defeated John Tyler, 7-3, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1991, John Tyler’s S.A. Barnes took the ball in from one yard out in the only score of the second half as the Lions knocked off Longview, 17-14, at Rose Stadium. The Lobos were stuffed four times inside the five-yard line with under a minute to play.
In 1996, Torrey McMiller and Devon Rose each scored twice for John Tyler as Cujo ran all over Longview, 42-7, in the worst loss a Longview squad has ever had at Lobo Stadium.
In 2002, Joel Armstrong and Jerrel Williams each scored two rushing scores, while Alex Cammack tacked on a field goal, as the Lobos upset Robert E. Lee, 31-14, at Lobo Stadium. The Red Raiders were held to 203 yards on the night, as the Lobos upset the state’s No. 10 ranked team.

lobohowl2.GIF

13 minutes ago, AKA said:

Lobos gonna need to play four quarters. You let Lee stick around and things could get ugly. 

I couldn't agree more...we need to make them throw the ball...if we slow the running game, we should pull away....no one has blown them out this year, 12 points decides the 3 losses....Rockwall was favored by 22 last night

should be a great game....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I couldn't agree more...we need to make them throw the ball...if we slow the running game, we should pull away....no one has blown them out this year, 12 points decides the 3 losses....Rockwall was favored by 22 last night

should be a great game....

I think that's the most telling of the year. Not a single team has been able to get away from them. 

Poteet probably controlled the game the most in their three losses.

Mesquite should have lost, as they trailed 14-3 entering the fourth quarter. Then the Red Raiders imploded and the Skeeters grabbed the win with 7 seconds left.

Rockwall game was at least back and forth. Sounds like Locke threw a couple of picks. But Lee again had the lead with under two minutes to go. 

Their passing game is definitely not the best, but that little sophomore back of theirs has had an excellent season. I think this is a really good test of our defensive front before we head into the post season. 

I still think Longview can run away with it, but definitely have to come to play. 

1 hour ago, lobo79 said:

What are the predictions for D1 and D2 for playoffs

For 11-6A...

Longview and Rockwall have clinched playoff berths. Rockwall Heath and North Mesquite are eliminated. Mesquite, Tyler Lee and Mesquite Horn are all still in it.

Mesquite has Longview and Rockwall left. They're sitting 3-1 in district play. Mesquite can have a playoff berth this week if either Lee or Horn losses.

Tyler Lee has Longview and Mesquite Horn left. They're sitting at 2-2 in district play.

Mesquite Horn has North Mesquite and Tyler Lee left. They're sitting at 1-3 in district play.

So honestly, if everything comes down the way it's suppose to be..Mesquite would finish 3-3 in district, Tyler Lee and Mesquite Horn would go into the last game of the season with playoff berths on the line. 

If Lee makes the post season, it'd be...
D1 #1 Rockwall, D1 #2 Mesquite
D2 #1 Longview, D2 #2 Tyler Lee

If Horn makes the post season, it'd be...
D1 #1 Rockwall, D1 #2 Mesquite
D2 #1 Longview, D2 #2 Mesquite Horn

Longview's biggest issue this season has been penalties, I feel. Outside of the punt return issues, of course (which was another adventure last night). 

Longview is up to 67 penalties already, and has only had one game all season that they've had less than 6. 

I would say it needs to get fixed, but it's not going to be 8 games in. Just gotta hope it doesn't cost us down the line. 

29 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Longview's biggest issue this season has been penalties, I feel. Outside of the punt return issues, of course (which was another adventure last night). 

Longview is up to 67 penalties already, and has only had one game all season that they've had less than 6. 

I would say it needs to get fixed, but it's not going to be 8 games in. Just gotta hope it doesn't cost us down the line. 

I completely agree with this...the first team we see that can match us offensively and defensively would probably win based on our consistent penalties...

• Like 2

As for this matchup...anything short of a decisive Longview win would be worrisome. 

Not treating Lee like they are NM, they are putting on a good season that I personally didn't see happening until that 2022 class became JR's next year.

But this is flat out a big mismatch. It's not necessarily because of our offense, it's more so our defense. Lee's strength offensively is on the ground with a pair of sophomores. Talented sophomores but haven't seen a front 7 like this. I can see Longview taking them out of their running game, making them toss it around a bit which takes them out of their comfort zone. 

42-10 Lobos. Big game from Tyshawn Taylor and the Lobo secondary grabs some INT's. 

That Tyler Lee-Mesquite Horn week 11 matchup will be huge.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

As for this matchup...anything short of a decisive Longview win would be worrisome. 

Not treating Lee like they are NM, they are putting on a good season that I personally didn't see happening until that 2022 class became JR's next year.

But this is flat out a big mismatch. It's not necessarily because of our offense, it's more so our defense. Lee's strength offensively is on the ground with a pair of sophomores. Talented sophomores but haven't seen a front 7 like this. I can see Longview taking them out of their running game, making them toss it around a bit which takes them out of their comfort zone. 

42-10 Lobos. Big game from Tyshawn Taylor and the Lobo secondary grabs some INT's. 

That Tyler Lee-Mesquite Horn week 11 matchup will be huge.

It’ll be close for maybe a half and then Longview goes crazy in the second half.

As said previously, Lee’s offense strength is their running game. Our defensive strength is our front 7. Longview has allowed just 557 total yards rushing this season. 

138 of that came against West Monroe who only rushed all game, 136 of that came against Rockwall Heath. 

I just don’t see Lee being able to be that team that is able to came in and rush for 200 yards on us to control the game, which is what they’re gonna have to do IMO.

I just don’t understand, I know lee is improved and better his year, but what in the wold has Lee done to make anyone including Tyler homers think this game will be close or competitive in any aspect. Lee’s 2 backs have had some success vs a lot of the slower and lesser defenses, man this Longview D is just so  much  different than anything they have faced up to this point, and yet some people very few in Tyler are thinking Lee is going to make it a game and have a chance to possibly pull off the upset. For anyone that thinks that, let me ask. What strong suits do you look at this years Lee team and say ( yah I think they’ll give Longview a game and could possibly win?) I know anything could happen, but if Longview shows up and plays hard and takes it to Lee for 4 quarters, I see it being a 55-17 type game. Will be back to eat my crow if Lee keeps it close!

This will be the best defense Longview had faced since before district started...I think it will test Longviews offensive patience if Lee has early defensive success...

if Longview gets rolling early I have no doubt they can blow it open if Lee is forced to throw...they aren’t built to trade scores with Longview

• Like 1

If Longview starts fast, they’re in big trouble. It’s happened to every team at Lobo this season. Lobos are our scoring opponents 80-3 in the first half of play in their three games.

Lee is improving, and they’re finally seeing it on the field, but they’re not there yet. 

Lee fans have every right to feel like they’re going to keep it close, with how they’ve played so far. But I just don’t see how anyone other than Lee fans sees this being close.

Longview will have to turn the ball over early and often, plus have a 10+ penalty game again for Lee to hang around. I was hoping Lee would beat Rockwall, cause boy that would’ve gotten our boys goin and ready to play on Friday. But a close loss I feel will do the same. 

Should be a fun one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3rdcoastent said:

I made a crazy precidtion on my podcast im saying lee in a upset win of they can it gone be a 21-28 type win but knowing they cant pass come down to can longview stop the run if so it be a 48-21 type longview win 

What is your reasoning for thinking they would score 28 points on us? I’m intrigued to hear that. Lufkin is the only team to score 21 on us, Horn game close with 20. But the next closest is 13 (both in the fourth quarter).

I just don’t see Lee scoring four times on us. Would love to hear why you think otherwise.

• Like 1