Week Ten: Tyler Lee at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (8-0, 4-0) vs Tyler Lee Red Raiders (5-3, 2-2)  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Tyler Lee in a close one
    • Tyler Lee in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/02/2019 at 12:30 AM

21 minutes ago, AKA said:

My context is extremely limited, but I can't help but think Goram-Welch and Beltran would rank among the top DEs of Lobo history. 

Those of y'all who've followed the program for much longer than I, what would your Top 5 look like at that position? 

@RandyJohnson, @LoboFan07, @ANTI, @Quick...  etc. 

You know my take, I've never seen a Lobo defensive unit like this one so I share the same opinion as you. Hayden tweeted out a crazy stat recently that said this Lobo defense is giving up like 2 yards a carry. This is good and bad, but we also have more penalty yards than we do rushing yards given up all season. You'd be hard pressed to find a DE tandem like Goram-Welch and Beltran. You know a tandem is nice when the one without all the D1 offers is probably the better of the two. 

The older Bos like @RandyJohnson @gtee2 @85lobooldschool @LOBOFAN84 @jbabi86 @kingwolf can give their insights on it, but 90s - present I haven't seen a DE tandem like these two. 

We've had some good DEs for sure. Kybrin Sheridan was a good one, Omar French, Thomas Jones...when Chris Weaver moved from LB to DE in 09, Adrian Reese was a sight to see whenever he played DE, Cody Williams, Chris Knighton....list goes on. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ANTI said:

You know my take, I've never seen a Lobo defensive unit like this one so I share the same opinion as you. Hayden tweeted out a crazy stat recently that said this Lobo defense is giving up like 2 yards a carry. This is good and bad, but we also have more penalty yards than we do rushing yards given up all season. You'd be hard pressed to find a DE tandem like Goram-Welch and Beltran. You know a tandem is nice when the one without all the D1 offers is probably the better of the two. 

The older Bos like @RandyJohnson @gtee2 @85lobooldschool @LOBOFAN84 @jbabi86 @kingwolf can give their insights on it, but 90s - present I haven't seen a DE tandem like these two. 

We've had some good DEs for sure. Kybrin Sheridan was a good one, Omar French, Thomas Jones...when Chris Weaver moved from LB to DE in 09, Adrian Reese was a sight to see whenever he played DE, Cody Williams, Chris Knighton....list goes on. 

Sums it up.

48 minutes ago, AKA said:

My context is extremely limited, but I can't help but think Goram-Welch and Beltran would rank among the top DEs of Lobo history. 

Those of y'all who've followed the program for much longer than I, what would your Top 5 look like at that position? 

@RandyJohnson, @LoboFan07, @ANTI, @Quick...  etc. 

If you were to compile a Top 10 "historical" Longview Linemen list here's FIVE from the 1930's to 1980 that simply are must mentions...

(1) Chal Daniel Jr. 6'2" 200 lbs (1936-37)....All-State member of 1937 State Champion Lobos.

Daniel then played at The University of Texas where he was named All-American in 1941. Remember that his size was a "big man" of that era. (He was also my Paternal Grandmother's 1st Cousin). Cousin Chal died in 1943 in a WW-II Flight Mission plane crash.

(2) Ralph E. "Peppy" Blount 6'3" 215 lbs.(1940-41) Peppy was a highly regarded End for the Lobos that played at Texas as well (post WW-II). He Starred at UT with QB Bobby Lane and Tom Landry. Blount would later become a well known Longview attorney and State Legislator.

(3) Bobby Collier 6'3" 230 lbs. (1946-47). Collier was an All-Stater at LHS. He played at SMU and was a member of the LA Rams in the NFL. Collier would later Coach for several years at LHS as an Assistant coach (he coached my Dad in '54-'55) before running his family business (Collier Furniture). He also was an AFL Pro Official for a time in the 1960's.

(4) Lloyd Phillips 6'4" 250 lbs. (1962-1963). Phillips is the most "decorated" Longview Lobo Lineman in school history. He was an All-American & the 1966 Outland Award winner as the Top College Interior Lineman starring for the Arkansas Razorbacks. He's also a member of the College Football Hall of Fame. He would then be Drafted by the Chicago Bears as the #10 pick in the 1967 draft.

(5) Hosea Taylor 6'5" 270 lbs. (1974-1976). "Big Bad" Hosea was a Unanimous All-State selection in both his Junior and Senior high school seasons. He would later star and earn All-American honors while playing at the University of Houston in both 1979 & 1980. He would then be drafted by the NFL Baltimore Colts playing a few seasons there and the for the Houston Gamblers of the USFL.

R.J.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

I think that covers it, although, I am not liking the term "older Bos"! SMH!!!

• LOL! 3

16 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I have the technical knowledge and equipment, but I'm 3 hours away. I've done a podcast before where each of 2 people record from 3 states away and then splice the audio together. 

I could record the whole thing here, it's just getting it online and to the various aggregators/RSS and etc. that loses me. 

8 minutes ago, gtee2 said:

Man she just talking. You see how she didn't do anythg to them WB fans at 7 on 7 or whereva they cornered her in at...😄😃😀

They cornered you 84??!! Maybe she is getting ol.....uhhh nvm. Let’s move on people. 

This one should be a good game...🙃

• LOL! 2

2 hours ago, AKA said:

I could record the whole thing here, it's just getting it online and to the various aggregators/RSS and etc. that loses me. 

I would be interested as long as you get Lobo 07 to join and refrain from quick from  speaking. A local podcast could be great you could get some other guys to represent the smaller teams. Smoak Cast Beast Tx

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

I would be interested as long as you get Lobo 07 to join and refrain from quick from  speaking. A local podcast could be great you could get some other guys to represent the smaller teams. Smoak Cast Beast Tx

Quick needs his own podcast. I'd subscribe.  :D 

• LOL! 2

2 hours ago, Pack007 said:

They cornered you 84??!! Maybe she is getting ol.....uhhh nvm. Let’s move on people. 

This one should be a good game...🙃

No one cornered me!! He is making all of that up. That was in Lufkin, also. You were there.

And I assure you, they would only corner me once!!! That would be a tough out for anyone, even if I am ol...............Bet!

@gtee2 You have pushed me past my limit. Be looking for me. 

• LOL! 1

Naw, they need about 3 or 4 of us to do the play by play commentary for this Lee game while Johnny Vaughn loads up his diaper and Brent Taylor hollers on 2 yard dive plays all game long.

My show would have to be on SiriusXM radio. 

• LOL! 2

2 hours ago, LOBOFAN84 said:

No one cornered me!! He is making all of that up. That was in Lufkin, also. You were there.

And I assure you, they would only corner me once!!! That would be a tough out for anyone, even if I am ol...............Bet!

@gtee2 You have pushed me past my limit. Be looking for me. 

Wah...wat I do