12 2A Div 1 vs 11 2A Div 1. Which is better ?

Bigj47

SA offense is the real deal.... But it’s their defense that will determine if they win state or not...... SA has a real dilemma in my  opinion. They are destroying evbody so quickly that they aren’t able to play their kids a full game. Conditioning may be a factor as the competition stiffens. But if they play them a full game now other teams will be mad cuz they will score 100pts and be accused of running up the score. I say play your starters 3qtrs just so they can be tested physically somewhat. SA is definitely 1A and maybe Alto is 1B but all this talk about one team beating another team so they must be better than the other team cuz they barely beat the same team isn’t a fair way to judge.... Its all about match ups and circumstances on that given night. These are HS kids and as the weather worsens and the ball bounces funny anything can happen. To beat a potent high power offense it will take ball control and keep them off the field. I don’t think anyone can brag about playing a tuff or weak schedule cuz teams are just upside down this year. Good ones are bad and bad ones are good

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BlueBlood99 said:

SA offense is the real deal.... But it’s their defense that will determine if they win state or not...... SA has a real dilemma in my  opinion. They are destroying evbody so quickly that they aren’t able to play their kids a full game. Conditioning may be a factor as the competition stiffens. But if they play them a full game now other teams will be mad cuz they will score 100pts and be accused of running up the score. I say play your starters 3qtrs just so they can be tested physically somewhat. SA is definitely 1A and maybe Alto is 1B but all this talk about one team beating another team so they must be better than the other team cuz they barely beat the same team isn’t a fair way to judge.... Its all about match ups and circumstances on that given night. These are HS kids and as the weather worsens and the ball bounces funny anything can happen. To beat a potent high power offense it will take ball control and keep them off the field. I don’t think anyone can brag about playing a tuff or weak schedule cuz teams are just upside down this year. Good ones are bad and bad ones are good

The starters have been playing into the 4th but also with thr clock running.  We still play iron man football.. in my opinion they are getting a good workout.  

2 hours ago, BronCos2015 said:

I don’t think alto will be able to hang with SA, don’t get me wrong alto is good but I don’t think they will be able to stop SA, and in my honest opinion their offense isn’t good enough to keep up.

They have a good defense, but they like turning the ball over.

Alto’s non-district Schedule...

3A Westwood (28-20) 2-6 no playoffs

2A Timpson (45-0) 4-5 possible 11-2A 4th

3A New Diana (50-0) 6-2 2nd-4th in 11-3a

2A Garrison (26-7) 4-4 2nd-4th 11-2a

3A Corrigan (40-15) 6-2 2nd in 12-3a

That’s a combined record of 22-19 (54%) and 3-4 playoff teams. In non-district alto won by an average of 31.4 points. In non-district Alto scored just shy of 38 points per game while allowing a hair over 8.

San Augustine’s non-district Schedule...

2A Big Sandy (70-7) 2-6 possible 4th in 10-2a

2A Garrison (36-28) 4-4 2nd-4th in 11-2a

2A Tenaha (67-14) 4-4 all but eliminated 11-2a

3A Hemphill (49-34) 3-4 4th in 12-3a

Thats a combined record of 13-18 (42%) and 2-4 playoff teams. In non-district San Augustine won by a combined 34.8 points. In non-district San Augustine scored right at 55.5 while allowing just under 21. 

I say all that to say this...these two teams on paper appear to be a lot closer to evenly matched than many might believe. San Augustine our scored their opponents by a slightly higher margin...but their schedule (based on records) was definitely the lighter of the two. The thing that is so intriguing to me about this possible match up is that these two teams are doing it in two totally different ways. Alto likes to run the ball and beat you with playaction won’t you commit to stopping the run. San Augustine is more of a spread you out and hit big plays in space. Neither side will be convinced by anyone that the other is better, and rightfully so. SA has the recent record and well earned hype. Alto has confidence and a dominant defense that has shut down all comers thus far.

The last two things I’ll say for now are this...

1) the pre-requisite that both teams have 2 more district games, plus 3 playoff games to navigate to make this match up happen. Shelbyville, Joaquin, Garrison, Carlisle and possibly Harleton all are going to be itching for a fight when their number gets calledz

2) IF this match up happens, I think we can all agree that it will be a regional final worthy of that title. Both the teams will have came into the game undefeated and will not be the least bit intimidated by the other. It has the potential to be exactly what we as fans hope for to determine our 2A East Texas champion. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, villagegenius said:

Alto’s non-district Schedule...

3A Westwood (28-20) 2-6 no playoffs

2A Timpson (45-0) 4-5 possible 11-2A 4th

3A New Diana (50-0) 6-2 2nd-4th in 11-3a

2A Garrison (26-7) 4-4 2nd-4th 11-2a

3A Corrigan (40-15) 6-2 2nd in 12-3a

That’s a combined record of 22-19 (54%) and 3-4 playoff teams. In non-district alto won by an average of 31.4 points. In non-district Alto scored just shy of 38 points per game while allowing a hair over 8.

San Augustine’s non-district Schedule...

2A Big Sandy (70-7) 2-6 possible 4th in 10-2a

2A Garrison (36-28) 4-4 2nd-4th in 11-2a

2A Tenaha (67-14) 4-4 all but eliminated 11-2a

3A Hemphill (49-34) 3-4 4th in 12-3a

Thats a combined record of 13-18 (42%) and 2-4 playoff teams. In non-district San Augustine won by a combined 34.8 points. In non-district San Augustine scored right at 55.5 while allowing just under 21. 

I say all that to say this...these two teams on paper appear to be a lot closer to evenly matched than many might believe. San Augustine our scored their opponents by a slightly higher margin...but their schedule (based on records) was definitely the lighter of the two. The thing that is so intriguing to me about this possible match up is that these two teams are doing it in two totally different ways. Alto likes to run the ball and beat you with playaction won’t you commit to stopping the run. San Augustine is more of a spread you out and hit big plays in space. Neither side will be convinced by anyone that the other is better, and rightfully so. SA has the recent record and well earned hype. Alto has confidence and a dominant defense that has shut down all comers thus far.

The last two things I’ll say for now are this...

1) the pre-requisite that both teams have 2 more district games, plus 3 playoff games to navigate to make this match up happen. Shelbyville, Joaquin, Garrison, Carlisle and possibly Harleton all are going to be itching for a fight when their number gets calledz

2) IF this match up happens, I think we can all agree that it will be a regional final worthy of that title. Both the teams will have came into the game undefeated and will not be the least bit intimidated by the other. It has the potential to be exactly what we as fans hope for to determine our 2A East Texas champion. 

SA would have had the tougher schedule if Tenaha and the likes havent been so bad this year.  Most of the opponents touchdowns have come in the later half when the game was decided at half time.  The score could have well broken a 100 if there was not a running clock starting in the 2nd quarter for multiple games.

1 hour ago, SAWolfman said:

SA would have had the tougher schedule if Tenaha and the likes havent been so bad this year.  Most of the opponents touchdowns have come in the later half when the game was decided at half time.  The score could have well broken a 100 if there was not a running clock starting in the 2nd quarter for multiple games.

Yeah, they don’t run the clock at Alto games! 😂 Fact is y’all are good, but we ain’t bad. The other guy was just going overboard!

53 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

I feel like when Alto meets up with Shelbyville in the 3rd round it will not be a cake walk. They could possibly upset the Jackets.

Just asking have y’all played Groveton yet? I know they play SA last week of District.

27 minutes ago, Jacket44 said:

Just asking have y’all played Groveton yet? I know they play SA last week of District.

Never mind see they are playing this week. Kind of big talk for not playing the two best teams in your district yet. Good luck in the next two weeks!

Got alot of friends in Alto. Its will be settled if they meet on the field. But there is alot of teams that can still make a run at these two in reg 3. If i had to rank them its 

SA Alto Shelbyville  Joaquin Garrison. 

17 minutes ago, Bigj47 said:

Got alot of friends in Alto. Its will be settled if they meet on the field. But there is alot of teams that can still make a run at these two in reg 3. If i had to rank them its 

SA Alto Shelbyville  Joaquin Garrison. 

Carlisle will surprise some teams. They are better than the Garrison we played.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 12:47 PM, Jacket44 said:

Carlisle will surprise some teams. They are better than the Garrison we played.

Depends on whether we keep from throwing int's. Better to eat it and let the d play a minute.. We gettin a little better each week but there are some really good teams out there.. We will see how it goes, going into the playoffs, and if anybody gets hurt Goin forward.. Js.