(7-1) La Vega #3 at (8-0) Brownwood #6

BigFanOf22

Win or lose this will be another great opportunity to play a quality team right before the playoffs.  I really want to make it out to this game.  I'll say LV by 14.  It's crazy how fast this year's team is.  Wright is a beast!  Can Brownwood match that speed?  IF so, it could be an interesting game. 

17 minutes ago, fromabuick8 said:

Win or lose this will be another great opportunity to play a quality team right before the playoffs.  I really want to make it out to this game.  I'll say LV by 14.  It's crazy how fast this year's team is.  Wright is a beast!  Can Brownwood match that speed?  IF so, it could be an interesting game. 

Pretty sure 3 of the Brownwood Defensive back ran on their state relay last year.  Should be interesting.

6 hours ago, coachkells said:

On paper this looks to to be a very good match up.  Brownwood has statically one of the best defenses in 4A, against a La Vega team that doesn't have to rely on the run as much as past teams. La Vega plays some pretty good defense too.   

The QB at Brownwood was our QB in Mineral Wells last year... Kid struggled to throw it over 30 yards... stop the run game and you easily beat Brownwood.

• Stinks 1

10 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

@cotton84  Thanks for the :poop:  I am not kidding or bashing the kid.  My statement can be backed by Hudl and stats...  It hurt us bad.  I am sure he improved, but LaVega only has to really be worried about stopping that run game to win this one...

Considering most male high school  athletes, including linemen, can throw a football 30 yards, I considered it bashing. 

48 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Considering most male high school  athletes, including linemen, can throw a football 30 yards, I considered it bashing. 

Kid can handle the ball, read options well, but for some reason, during the game when we had a deep post or a fly route the ball fluttered short costing us HUGE.

2 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Gotcha. I saw that MW is having a rough year. 

It's likely that we are starting 4 Freshman on the OL this week.  We are literally down to 6 OL... Just a rough year... we could be REALLY good in about 3 years if the freshmen  + current 8th grade develop the way we expect them to.

3 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

It's likely that we are starting 4 Freshman on the OL this week.  We are literally down to 6 OL... Just a rough year... we could be REALLY good in about 3 years if the freshmen  + current 8th grade develop the way we expect them to.

How do you think they will be able to hold up against the defensive line of La Vega?

Just now, coachkells said:

How do you think they will be able to hold up against the defensive line of La Vega?

I haven't seen them play football in person.  I can tell you that at our district track meet last year they are fast.  The only like opponent we had was Graham and it looks like they fared well vs them.  Graham looked undersized on the DL though... but this is 4A...  I don't really know what undersized actually means :lol:  At Marshall we always had beasts on the DL and played against beasts... moving to 4A its like a whole new world with everyone playing both sides of the ball etc.

24 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I hear ya. Just got to be patient. Hard sometimes. But it can pay off

IF Brownwood can hold LV under 30, I'll be surprised and impressed. LV is averaging about 42 pts/game against a better schedule than Brownwood.  Brownwood averages about 37.5 pts/gm against their schedule so far.  But the Lions have allowed only 54 total points in 8  games......that's very impressive.  I don't think Brownwood will be able to handle the overall team speed of LV though.  LV will get their points on the ground and in the passing game.  Just too much speed and some athletic skill guys that can break plays.

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

I haven't seen them play football in person.  I can tell you that at our district track meet last year they are fast.  The only like opponent we had was Graham and it looks like they fared well vs them.  Graham looked undersized on the DL though... but this is 4A...  I don't really know what undersized actually means :lol:  At Marshall we always had beasts on the DL and played against beasts... moving to 4A its like a whole new world with everyone playing both sides of the ball etc.

You know that LV won every relay at 4a the state track meet last year.  La Vega has a little speed too.  

• Like 1