⚾️ The OFFICIAL 2020 Houston Astros Offseason Thread ⚾️

Wild74

46 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

Does that mean we won't see Ryan setting in those nice seats anymore...LOL

Hahahaha...

Nolan leaving isn't big. Reid is. I think there will be changes coming in how the Astros do business and perception may change...

On 11/5/2019 at 10:01 AM, Wild74 said:

Would like to see Cole back but I wouldn't break the bank over him besides I think he is dead set on going to high tax state of California where a lot of the money will go into the sinkhole of California never ending progressive ideals, you need a lot of money to live out there, some of that money should be used to buy a big generator for his next house....lol 

I know the Yankees want both Cole and Strasburg.  If that happens they will replace the Astros as the favorite for the World Series next year.  I know they cut back their spending a few years ago, but they don't mind shelling out the luxury tax.  https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rumors-trades-and-signings

On 11/7/2019 at 5:13 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I know the Yankees want both Cole and Strasburg.  If that happens they will replace the Astros as the favorite for the World Series next year.  I know they cut back their spending a few years ago, but they don't mind shelling out the luxury tax.  https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rumors-trades-and-signings

The Yankees are the richest team in baseball if they want these players they will sign them, they already have a great team this would make them close to unstoppable 

• 4 weeks later...

Jake Marisnick gone to the Mets for two minor leaguers. Will miss Jake he was a great defensive player, couldn't hit his weight but was a valuable Astro for a number of years. Jake was set to make about 3 million this year and Straw will be taking his place and he is a lot cheaper according to the Astros web page.  

On 12/5/2019 at 12:13 PM, Wild74 said:

Jake Marisnick gone to the Mets for two minor leaguers. Will miss Jake he was a great defensive player, couldn't hit his weight but was a valuable Astro for a number of years. Jake was set to make about 3 million this year and Straw will be taking his place and he is a lot cheaper according to the Astros web page.  

Yep.   If Jake could have hit .250 he would have been an invaluable player to keep. Unfortunately his BA was declining every year.  He was given every chance.  Good luck to him in NY

Strausburg resigns with Washington for $245 million. Cole expected to sign soon with a price tag north of $300 million.

I really hoped Strausburg would be our backup plan for when Cole left, but when he got WS MVP I knew he would be too expensive. I think more dominoes fall now...

I don't expect Houston to cover the $300 million price tag. I feel like that will be something the Yankees, Angels, or Dodgers pay. I have heard the Rangers name come up, but I really feel like they will blow their money on Rendon (Not a bad way to spend it, just not something I would be happy to see as an Astros fan). 

Cole was a shutdown type pitcher but he could only pitch every 5th day. So he will not break Houston by losing him, we still have a very good staff and there is potential coming up. Ready to hear what this sign stealing mess is all about and whether it is true or not, I don't trust Fiers to be telling the whole truth but I will wait and see, I am looking forward to a whole year with Alvarez and having McCullers back. 

On 12/10/2019 at 7:58 PM, Stoney said:

We have Correa under contract for two more years, his FA year is 2022 if he puts together two outstanding years in a row his FA price might be higher than what Houston wants to pay so they might try to move him before then but I like Correa he has a gun for a arm and if he plays 145 to 150 games he could put together some outstanding numbers 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, topher805 said:

9 year, $324 million ($36 million/year)

Glad he got his money, sad we don't have him, soooo happy we didn't pay that price tag. Too much. Waaay too much.

Holy cow!!! They say baseball is a dying sport but you have $300m, $400m contracts.

29 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Holy cow!!! They say baseball is a dying sport but you have $300m, $400m contracts.

The Yankees now have Cole for $324 million and Stanton for $325 million. Not to mention Judge and Torres needing to be paid soon. 

Oh yeah, Aroldis Chapman also pulling $30 million the next two years as well...Yankees are back to being the Yankees...