⚾️ The OFFICIAL 2020 Houston Astros Offseason Thread ⚾️

Wild74

9 hours ago, mellon said:

I've seen Dusty Baker's name mentioned several times for the manager job for the Astros.

What do you Astros fans think of this choice? Personally I think it stinks.

I am not a fan at all of Dusty Baker.   I will be disappointed if we go in this direction.

• Like 1

Baker, Showalter, Bannister are all guys I'm not high on. Baker and Showalter are retreads and not fans of what built the team we have now (Analytics). 

I want new blood, not a dinosaur that could be sleeping, or  sitting on the bench dead during the middle of a night game in Seattle...

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 8:34 PM, topher805 said:

Baker, Showalter, Bannister are all guys I'm not high on. Baker and Showalter are retreads and not fans of what built the team we have now (Analytics). 

I want new blood, not a dinosaur that could be sleeping, or  sitting on the bench dead during the middle of a night game in Seattle...

Brad Ausmus is a fairly young fellow 

The Houston Astros are reportedly set to hire Dusty Baker as the team’s next manager, according to USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale.

A.J. Hinch, Baker’s predecessor in Houston, lost his job along with general manager Jeff Luhnow as part of the fallout from the team’s sign stealing scandal. The Astros interviewed a number of candidates to replace Hinch, including former MLB managers Brad Ausmus, Buck Showalter and John Gibbons.

In the end, they went with Baker, who has over two decades of managerial experience with the San Francisco Giants, Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati Reds and Washington Nationals. Baker last managed with the Nats in 2017.

For his career, he owns an overall record of 1,863-1,636 in the regular season. Baker’s teams have made nine playoff appearances and he won the NL pennant with the Giants in 2002.

I'm not happy with this hire.  I liked Dusty as a player, even though he was a Dodger, but as a manager I don't think he can get the job done.  He had two great seasons with the Giants early in his career.  His post season record is terrible.  He has only one two series in the post season, and never the World Series.  I hope it's just a short term hire to fill in as topher805's buddy thinks.  The only thing that would change my mind is a World Series title, but it's going to be tough winning the AL pennant.  I don't see the Astros doing much to improve the losses they've had.  

Offensively the Astros will be outstanding again. Pitching the Astros will be just fine...McCullers comes back. Maybe this is the year of Whitley. Urquidy was a pleasant surprise in the playoffs. As long as Strom is still in the mix, I have faith the Astros will have the pitching needed...

Baker is just coming in to fill some space because we needed a coach with Spring Training two weeks away...He is experienced and has coached a team to the World Series. 

It's official...Dusty Baker for two years...

Not enthused, but I also realized this is a straight PR move. I'm not a 100% fan of the rumored GM either. I can't remember his name and mlb.com is blocked at my school...He is a Harvard grad which tells me he is into analytics (Good), worked at MLB headquarters as oversight of Instant Replay and I want to say officials. I don't like bringing in someone from MLB to GM. 

14 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

I'm not excited at all about Baker...…..but I understand the thinking.    Established guy to get through next season.    The Astros better crank it up the next couple of years because the loss of 1st & 2nd round picks are gonna bite hard in a few years. 

I believe the Astros will have a good season this year and win first place again, but I also believe they will start a downward spiral as they have lost stability, I would wager this is Springer last year and Correa will follow for bigger contracts. I am starting to get a Jerry Jones feeling about this team

Astros hire James Click as GM. Clock has served as VP of Operations for the Tampa Bay Ray's the last two years and is known as instrumental for their player development program. Heavy analytical guy like Lunhow. 

This was a good hire...Next year when he gets his own coach (cough*Hinch*couch), things will be back in order.

47 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Astros hire James Click as GM. Clock has served as VP of Operations for the Tampa Bay Ray's the last two years and is known as instrumental for their player development program. Heavy analytical guy like Lunhow. 

This was a good hire...Next year when he gets his own coach (cough*Hinch*couch), things will be back in order.

I HOPE he don't rehire Hinch.....lol

Nobody has done a better job than TB at developing players and especially given the fact they have no budget at all.   So I feel this is an excellent hire. I'm all thumbs up on this one. 

As far as Hinch goes.....I'm undecided.     He was the scapegoat along with Lunhow.  Yeah he should have stopped it but tell me a manager that will throw his players to the wolves.  Everything I've  read is he wasn't on board with this and even tried to disrupt it.   It was player-driven.  But he's definitely guilty and is paying the price himself when the players are even more to blame...…….but nobody is gonna mess with the Players Union.   A year banned is a serious penalty. Maybe it is deserved but I don't think this should end his career (maybe in Houston..I get that).   This is SOMEWHAT akin to banning a manager for "knowing" his players were shooting up steroids.    

On 1/31/2020 at 10:30 AM, Wild74 said:

Pete Rose was asked which is worse stealing signs or gambling and he answered steroids ....:rofl:

He bet on his own teams.  Rose played and managed to win.  If he didn't think his teams didn't have a chance to win he wouldn't bet on them to lose.  That's how much of a competitor that he was.  I think roids were worse too, because it increased the power and quickness of the swing for batters.  While they still had to hit the ball, they had the upper advantage.  I know Pete never used steroids.  His body type remained the same, as he aged he did put on more weight as many of us do in our later years.  He never truly lost his bat speed, but the most home runs he hit was 16 in his career.  I still think "Shoeless" Joe Jackson should be in.  It's a disgrace to MLB that they don't look at his stats.  All the evidence in his case shows that he never cheated.  

• Like 1