The Official 2020 Rangers Offseason Thread

Stoney

New ballpark, improved results? We shall see.

Rangers trade Jonah McReynolds to the ChiSox for catcher Wellington Castillo and $250,000 in international signing money. Rangers will buyout Castillo’s contract and make him a free agent.

Shawn Kelley, Hunter Pence, Edinson Volquez and Logan Forsythe have all become free agents.

43 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Rangers trade Jonah McReynolds to the ChiSox for catcher Wellington Castillo and $250,000 in international signing money. Rangers will buyout Castillo’s contract and make him a free agent.

Shawn Kelley, Hunter Pence, Edinson Volquez and Logan Forsythe have all become free agents.

Even though the old ballpark was nice I think the new air conditioned ballpark will be a lot more comfortable to set and watch a game

31 minutes ago, galloping_gobbler said:

Rangers need to make a very hard run at Gerrit Cole. A rotation of Cole/Lynn/Minor would be a great start

I think a 7 year 40 million per year might land him what's that 280 million contract probably have to add a guarantee to that along with his right to refuse a trade.  

They should go after Rendon as well. Cole, that’s too much money. The back end of his contract will be terrible. At least with Rendon, his contract will age better as an infielder. Production from him everyday, to me is worth more than pitching every fifth day. Just compare Beltre and Yu’s contracts. Beltre’s was better. 

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/2020-mlb-free-agents-by-position.html

Rendon and Cole look like the only top tier free agents I’d be willing to break the bank on. Is ownership gonna ask JD to make a big move (FA signing, Trade) to help sell the new stadium?  Other than that it could be another find a Lance Lynn or Hunter Pence deal around there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 11:19 PM, Rabbs63 said:

Reports out of GM winter meetings is the Rangers and Reds anticipate being free agent big spenders this off season.  This is according to Mike Bacsik on 105.3 The Fan.  I would hope this to be true, but something tells me disappointment is ahead.  Just don’t see Rangers front office competing with Yankees for Cole or Strasburg.    

Gut feeling says they go after Rendon to play third base. That might be the big splash.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, wtlobos said:

Rangers sign RHP Kyle Gibson to a 3yr $30 million deal. Solid pick up IMO. Akin to Lance Lynn and Mike Minor deals. If they can add someone like Ryu or Wheeler, they’d have as solid a 1-4 as anyone in baseball. 

13-7 in 29 starts with 160 innings. 10 game winner in 5 of 6 seasons.

On 11/30/2019 at 6:27 PM, wtlobos said:

Rangers said to be unveiling new uniforms Dec. 4th. Hopefully nothing too crazy. 

Wonder if it will be a update to the current look or a throwback to previous looks?

Minor, Lynn, Gibson, Lyles.....that’s a solid staff, if Lyles can pitch as good as he did in Milwaukee. If somebody can fill the fifth spot, the bullpen be somewhat decent, they could have them in a spot for a wild card push.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 10:36 AM, Stoney said:

Volquez is about washed up isn't he? He sure didn't help The Rangers any last year

On 11/1/2019 at 6:30 PM, wtlobos said:

They should go after Rendon as well. Cole, that’s too much money. The back end of his contract will be terrible. At least with Rendon, his contract will age better as an infielder. Production from him everyday, to me is worth more than pitching every fifth day. Just compare Beltre and Yu’s contracts. Beltre’s was better. 

I agree, but I don't think the Nationals are gonna let him walk. They let Harper walk but I don't think they will let that happen again.

1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

We couldn't at least get a bullpen arm?  Watch Mazara be an All-Star this year.

Don’t know anything about the newbie but that that’s all we got for him is a head scratcher. Who’s JD sticking in RF?