Van vs Henderson

Sportsfanatic1

Van vs Henderson   

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Vandals
    • Lions

This could go either way.I'm picking lions just because they can mix up a little with the passing game...and do take some risk. Henderson needs to hang on

to the ball more . Van will probably never advance deep in the playoffs because of there passing game. This is why carthage does so well in the playoffs because

Surrat takes chances and risk..they have a good mixture of passing and running and i'm sure some trick plays as well from what i'v seen.

9 minutes ago, Rob123 said:

This could go either way.I'm picking lions just because they can mix up a little with the passing game...and do take some risk. Henderson needs to hang on

to the ball more . Van will probably never advance deep in the playoffs because of there passing game. This is why carthage does so well in the playoffs because

Surrat takes chances and risk..they have a good mixture of passing and running and i'm sure some trick plays as well from what i'v seen.

As long as Hendo allows Medford to do his “one man show”, I don’t think they are going to go very far. He has serious ball control issues &  he clearly either has no faith in the rest of the players, or he simply wants to be the star of the show. Either way, the Lions will be done soon enough. Van has a pretty good team.

4 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

As long as Hendo allows Medford to do his “one man show”, I don’t think they are going to go very far. He has serious ball control issues &  he clearly either has no faith in the rest of the players, or he simply wants to be the star of the show. Either way, the Lions will be done soon enough. Van has a pretty good team.

Not sure what you are basing your info on other than the game vs. Carthage.  No doubt he has had ball control issues (fumbled 5 times vs. Carthage) but Hendo allowing him to be a one man show ?  RB Kevin Fields (110 yds vs. Carthage)has been more the focus of the offense for most, if not all, of the season.  Medford missed 3 quarters of the final non-district game against Rusk, did not play vs. Palestine, and played sparingly in the first half(at WR) vs. Kilgore but all of the 2nd half at QB.  Granted he had(has) some ball control issues but his focus is not a 1-man show type of kid.  He plays hard and his effort is for his team..... but a one man show is certainly not a part of the Henderson coaching staff game plan. 

Additionally,  the Lions may be done soon enough could be true for anyone in the playoffs .... sometimes the best team does not always win.  As far as Van you are on target; they are a very good football team and that game will probably will be just like the last two they played in 2018.  Both teams won 21-20 .... Van in game 10 and the Lions in the game 13.  Either way those two teams will represent 10-4A well and both will welcome another shot at the mighty Dogs !

Edited by 12Jefferson
left out info

50 minutes ago, 12Jefferson said:

Not sure what you are basing your info on other than the game vs. Carthage.  No doubt he has had ball control issues (fumbled 5 times vs. Carthage) but Hendo allowing him to be a one man show ?  RB Kevin Fields (110 yds vs. Carthage)has been more the focus of the offense for most, if not all, of the season.  Medford missed 3 quarters of the final non-district game against Rusk, did not play vs. Palestine, and played sparingly in the first half(at WR) vs. Kilgore but all of the 2nd half at QB.  Granted he had(has) some ball control issues but his focus is not a 1-man show type of kid.  He plays hard and his effort is for his team..... but a one man show is certainly not a part of the Henderson coaching staff game plan. 

Additionally,  the Lions may be done soon enough could be true for anyone in the playoffs .... sometimes the best team does not always win.  As far as Van you are on target; they are a very good football team and that game will probably will be just like the last two they played in 2018.  Both teams won 21-20 .... Van in game 10 and the Lions in the game 13.  Either way those two teams will represent 10-4A well and both will welcome another shot at the mighty Dogs !

I haven’t seen him play in any other game than vs Carthage, & just seemed to me that he felt that he had to do things himself. He has several teammates who were very hard to get down, often requiring multiple Dawgs to stop them. 

Anyway, It was just an observation whether accurate or not.

7 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I haven’t seen him play in any other game than vs Carthage, & just seemed to me that he felt that he had to do things himself. He has several teammates who were very hard to get down, often requiring multiple Dawgs to stop them. 

Anyway, It was just an observation whether accurate or not.

The scheme could be allowing that. When a qb has to go to the design play no matter what , a defense will adjust. Medford is a special talent and is the best option . Ball security and play calling can hinder your performance. 

Medford is a good talent at QB but we don’t have the weapons at WR.  He has had fumbleitus all year.  He holds the ball out wide and starts spinning and jumping and looses the ball way too much.  Carthage still would have beat Henderson but it found have been a lot closer without fumbles.  

It would be great if we had a good QB and he could be WR

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JCLIONS99 said:

Medford is a good talent at QB but we don’t have the weapons at WR.  He has had fumbleitus all year.  He holds the ball out wide and starts spinning and jumping and looses the ball way too much.  Carthage still would have beat Henderson but it found have been a lot closer without fumbles.  

It would be great if we had a good QB and he could be WR

Indeed any prospects coming? How the JV? 

2 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Indeed any prospects coming? How the JV? 

The JV QB is pretty good but not sure about the talent around him. The back up to Medford has a big arm but is short and inaccurate.  Freshman has some talent including Medford’s twin brothers. But we are being out coached hands down

2 minutes ago, JCLIONS99 said:

The JV QB is pretty good but not sure about the talent around him. The back up to Medford has a big arm but is short and inaccurate.  Freshman has some talent including Medford’s twin brothers. But we are being out coached hands down

Sounds like it. Last years qb for the Lions was like that. Hopefully they get it together . No secret you can out athlete your way toward the playoffs . A strong Defensive coordinator will adjust and play to your weaknesses. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JCLIONS99 said:

Castles is a great guy, great family but we run the same plays over and over.  No passing game.  Very conservative.  I think we need all new coaching staff. Kids don’t hit in practice and the younger ones are being groomed at the lower levels.

Agree being predictable is a bad combination. Also being basically one dimensional is bad football. Kilgore was a runfirst offense and it costs them as well as Henderson  . In the playoffs Tendency can be masked. Separates the contender from the pretenders. A good coach is a motivator, knowledgeable, and prepares his team for sucess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JCLIONS99 said:

Castles is a great guy, great family but we run the same plays over and over.  No passing game.  Very conservative.  I think we need all new coaching staff. Kids don’t hit in practice and the younger ones are being groomed at the lower levels.

Why would we need all new coaching staff when we have been 4 rounds deep in 3 out of 4 years ?   Coaches that prepare each week to the minutest detail.  Coaches that go beyond what it is expected to develop meaningful relationships with their players.  These coaches teach boys to become young men and use football & athletics to teach life lessons.  Why would these young men need a change in this type of positive environment that will help lead them to be great men, leaders, great fathers, great husbands, and great football players ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Henderson will need to clean some things up if you have any hopes of making it back to the Regional Finals to lose to the Dawgs for a 6th time in three years.  Van is plenty capable of beating the Lions Fri.  Henderson has the athletes but Van is like the Iowa or Minnesota of D10.  Sound disciplined football.

Yes.

9 hours ago, 12Jefferson said:

Why would we need all new coaching staff when we have been 4 rounds deep in 3 out of 4 years ?   Coaches that prepare each week to the minutest detail.  Coaches that go beyond what it is expected to develop meaningful relationships with their players.  These coaches teach boys to become young men and use football & athletics to teach life lessons.  Why would these young men need a change in this type of positive environment that will help lead them to be great men, leaders, great fathers, great husbands, and great football players ?

A new offensive philosophy is needed . That is pretty apparent. Being a great guy is absolutely important but if you lack the x's and O and ability to adapt you will get left behind. A reason why Carthage routinely wins . Being a motivator and not a clapper ( Jason Garrett) is vital as well. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

A new offensive philosophy is needed . That is pretty apparent. Being a great guy is absolutely important but if you lack the x's and O and ability to adapt you will get left behind. A reason why Carthage routinely wins . Being a motivator and not a clapper ( Jason Garrett) is vital as well. 

Your point here is well taken and the new OC in his 3rd season is still learning/growing .... filling the shoes of Coach Langley was a tall order for any coach to replace, he could find ways to score on anyone, was aggressive with a unique approach but sound with a purpose.  He was a “big game” coach who always had a plan B in his back pocket and was unnerved by better competition.

It was my opinion that a change in the entire coaching staff was a bit too strong knowing the current team/Staff relationship.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 12Jefferson said:

Your point here is well taken and the new OC in his 3rd season is still learning/growing .... filling the shoes of Coach Langley was a tall order for any coach to replace, he could find ways to score on anyone, was aggressive with a unique approach but sound with a purpose.  He was a “big game” coach who always had a plan B in his back pocket and was unnerved by better competition.

It was my opinion that a change in the entire coaching staff was a bit too strong knowing the current team/Staff relationship.

Fair enough hope all goes well

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:18 AM, 12Jefferson said:

12JEFF You are absolutely correct. Carthage has a special thing going over there right now, and other than them, Henderson has been the 2nd best team several years in a row. Its easy to blame it on the coaches here but really look at what they have done in the past few years. No one in the state can match what Carthage has done and very few can match what Henderson has done. FACT!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Htown69 said:

First time you have ever took henderson when I have been on here welcome champ lmaooo

Guess so . This will be tougher matchup. If not mistaken Van needs to beat Henderson and Kilgore needs Henderson to win. (Linebackers haha). Van defense is good and will keep them in games. The lack  vertical passing game will keep them winning. Henderson will control the game with their rushing attack and win on Sr Night. 

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

1 minute ago, Champ1000 said:

Guess so . This will be tougher matchup. If not mistaken Van needs to beat Henderson and Kilgore needs Henderson to win. (Linebackers haha). Van defense is good and will keep them in games. The lack  vertical passing game will keep them winning. Henderson will control the game with their rushing attack and win on Sr Night. 

1 minute ago, Champ1000 said:

Couldn’t agree more