2A Region 3 Playoff Thread

villagegenius

Well we are 1 game away from the bracket being set in stone. Here’s a rundown of where all of the districts stand. 

District 9

Current Standings

1 Centerville (4-0)

2 Normangee (3-1)

3 Leon (3-1)

4 Cayuga (1-3)

5 Kerens (1-3)

6 Cross Roads (0-4)

Week 11

Centerville vs Leon; Kerens vs Normangee; Cayuga vs Cross Roads

Locks: Centerville, Normangee and Leon are IN

Elimimated None

Centerville clinches 1 seed with win; Leon clinches 1 seed with win and Normangee loss; A Leon win and a Normangee win send the 1 seed tie breaker to points; Cayuga clinches 4 seed with win; Kerens must win and have Cayuga lose to get 4 seed; if Kerens and Cayuga both lose, there is a 3 way tie for 4th with those 2 and cross roads; 

Centerville has head to head over Normangee 

Normangee has head to head over Leon

Cayuga has head to head over Kerens

District 10

Current Standings

1 Alto (4-0)

2 Carlisle (3-1)

3 Hawkins (3-1)

4 Big Sandy (1-3)

5 Union Grove (1-3)

6 Cushing (0-4)

Locks: Alto is in as 1 seed, Carlisle and Hawkins are IN

Eliminated: None

Week 11 Alto vs Union Grove; Carlisle vs Hawkins, Cushing vs Big Sandy

Hawkins and Carlisle are playing for the 2 seed; loser is 3 seed; Big Sandy clinches 4 seed with win over Cushing; union Grove must win and have Cushing win to clinch 4 seed; a Cushing win and Union Grove loss makes a 3 way tie between those 2 and Big Sandy; 

District 11

Current Standings

1 Joaquin (5-0)

2 Harleton (4-1)

3 Garrison (3-3)

4 Timpson (2-3)

5 Linden-Kildare (2-3)

6 Beckville (1-4)

7 Tenaha (1-4)

Locks: Joaquin, Harleton and Garrison are IN

Eliminated: Tenaha

Week 11 Joaquin vs Harleton; Timpson vs Beckville; Tenaha vs Linden-Kildare; Garrison BYE

Joaquin and Harleton will determine 1 & 2 seed; Timpson is in and clinches 3 seed with a win; A Timpson win (no matter other results) eliminates everyone else and Garrison is the 4 seed;
A Timpson loss opens up a Pandora’s box of possibilities...Garrison would be the 3 seed; LK could claim the 4 seed with a win; A Tenaha win in this scenario would create a 4 way tie for 4th between Timpson, Beckville, LK and Tenaha...Tenaha and Beckville would be 2-1 against the others, LK & Timpson would be 1-2. Beckville would then have the head to head on Tenaha and thus claim the 4 seed

District 12

Current Standings

1 San Augustine (4-0)

2 Groveton (3-1)

3 Shelbyville (3-1)

4 Deweyville (1-3)

5 West Sabine (1-3)

6 Hull-Daisetta (0-4)

Locks: SA, Groveton and Shelbyville are IN

Eliminated: Hull-Daisetta

Week 11: SA vs Shelbyville, Groveton vs HD; West Sabine vs Deweyville

SA clinches 1 seed with win; Shelbyville clinches 1 seed with win and Groveton loss; Groveton clinches 2 seed with win and SA win; 3 way tie going down to points occurs with Shelbyville and Groveton wins; 

West Sabine and Deweyville winner is the 4 seed;

Predicted Playoff Bracket

(W9) Centerville vs (F10) Big Sandy

(R12) Groveton vs (T11) Timpson

(W10) Alto vs (F9) Cayuga

(R11) Harleton vs (T12) Shelbyville 

(W11) Joaquin vs (F12) Deweyville 

(R10) Carlisle vs (T9) Leon

(W12) San Augustine vs (F11) Garrison

(R9) Normangee vs (T10) Hawkins

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

• 2 weeks later...

From what I’ve seen, I dont think groveton can hang with Alto. Altos d-line and linebackers will get to grovetons qb before he has time to go through his progressions. But groveton has to beat BS before that. And alto has to beat Joaquin. I think Alto will handle Joaquin. Groveton should win vs BS but you never know what BS team you’ll get you might get one that can route Groveton by a couple tuddy’s. You just never know with them. 

3 hours ago, villagegenius said:

Since it got brought back...I was pretty dang accurate on the bracket prediction...only missed on Joaquin/Harleton. Which let’s be honest here, not many people outside of Harleton were predicting. 

Well aren't you the village genius?  

I don’t disagree with the idea that SA and Alto are the odds on favorites to play for a semifinal berth. But I do think Joaquin stands a chance at being this year’s Tenaha. By that I mean they more or less backed into the playoffs then got on a hot streak and rolled off wins that no one expected them to get. I like being the underdog. 

15 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I don’t disagree with the idea that SA and Alto are the odds on favorites to play for a semifinal berth. But I do think Joaquin stands a chance at being this year’s Tenaha. By that I mean they more or less backed into the playoffs then got on a hot streak and rolled off wins that no one expected them to get. I like being the underdog. 

I agree with this. Joaquin is a very good ball club and will be a tough out.   I do think that alto pulls it out but Joe will give it a game

I have the region like this:

1 SA

2 Alto

3 Grove

4 Joaquin

5 Carlisle 

6 Harleton 

the rest 

TBH this is a fairly weak region  this year.  SA may compete in the quarters but I feel like that any one that come out of this region doesn’t beat the region 4 team.  I feel that behind SA there is a clear drop and they should win this region easily.  If Alto and Groveton both win this week look for a battle next week.  

7 minutes ago, jacketgrad06 said:

I agree with this. Joaquin is a very good ball club and will be a tough out.   I do think that alto pulls it out but Joe will give it a game

I have the region like this:

1 SA

2 Alto

3 Grove

4 Joaquin

5 Carlisle 

6 Harleton 

the rest 

TBH this is a fairly weak region  this year.  SA may compete in the quarters but I feel like that any one that come out of this region doesn’t beat the region 4 team.  I feel that behind SA there is a clear drop and they should win this region easily.  If Alto and Groveton both win this week look for a battle next week.  

Just to be clear, are you saying if Joaquin does pull the upset you think they’ll roll over and play dead for Groveton? Or you think they’ll hang half a hundred on the Injuns? 

I think them two are neck and neck. If you look at the way I ranked the teams those 3 teams are all together. I think it’s a battle on that side no matter what but the difference is alto and groveton have a hatred that not many schools around here understand for each other. It is a hatred/respect that only comes from battle upon battle between each other. It has fallen off over the last decade but Alto truly only has 2 real rivals and groveton is the most hated. 

Alto had a team in the 80’s that lost in the quarterfinals to groveton on a two point conversion that the runner was clearly down and groveton ended up winning the championship.  This was the start of a rivalry between these two that very few schools in this area have.  

Honestly it’s a toss up between the 3. So if Joaquin beats alto (which i think they have a good shot to do) there’s a good chance they beat groveton but the atmosphere won’t be the same. 

• Stinks 1

2 hours ago, jacketgrad06 said:

I think them two are neck and neck. If you look at the way I ranked the teams those 3 teams are all together. I think it’s a battle on that side no matter what but the difference is alto and groveton have a hatred that not many schools around here understand for each other. It is a hatred/respect that only comes from battle upon battle between each other. It has fallen off over the last decade but Alto truly only has 2 real rivals and groveton is the most hated. 

Alto had a team in the 80’s that lost in the quarterfinals to groveton on a two point conversion that the runner was clearly down and groveton ended up winning the championship.  This was the start of a rivalry between these two that very few schools in this area have.  

Honestly it’s a toss up between the 3. So if Joaquin beats alto (which i think they have a good shot to do) there’s a good chance they beat groveton but the atmosphere won’t be the same. 

Looking at Groveton on film, to me they don’t pass the eye test. I think Joaquin/ Alto is a toss-up, honestly, depending on which coaching staff comes up with the best game plan, and which team does the best job of execution. Both are well coached and have a lot of athletic ability on both sides of the ball. But, provided they get out of it relatively injury free, I think the winner of Joaquin/ Alto beats Groveton or BS by 3 TDs. I’ve been wrong before, but I’ve been right a lot more. 

On 11/2/2019 at 6:22 PM, villagegenius said:

Well we are 1 game away from the bracket being set in stone. Here’s a rundown of where all of the districts stand. 

District 9

Current Standings

1 Centerville (4-0)

2 Normangee (3-1)

3 Leon (3-1)

4 Cayuga (1-3)

5 Kerens (1-3)

6 Cross Roads (0-4)

Week 11

Centerville vs Leon; Kerens vs Normangee; Cayuga vs Cross Roads

Locks: Centerville, Normangee and Leon are IN

Elimimated None

Centerville clinches 1 seed with win; Leon clinches 1 seed with win and Normangee loss; A Leon win and a Normangee win send the 1 seed tie breaker to points; Cayuga clinches 4 seed with win; Kerens must win and have Cayuga lose to get 4 seed; if Kerens and Cayuga both lose, there is a 3 way tie for 4th with those 2 and cross roads; 

Centerville has head to head over Normangee 

Normangee has head to head over Leon

Cayuga has head to head over Kerens

District 10

Current Standings

1 Alto (4-0)

2 Carlisle (3-1)

3 Hawkins (3-1)

4 Big Sandy (1-3)

5 Union Grove (1-3)

6 Cushing (0-4)

Locks: Alto is in as 1 seed, Carlisle and Hawkins are IN

Eliminated: None

Week 11 Alto vs Union Grove; Carlisle vs Hawkins, Cushing vs Big Sandy

Hawkins and Carlisle are playing for the 2 seed; loser is 3 seed; Big Sandy clinches 4 seed with win over Cushing; union Grove must win and have Cushing win to clinch 4 seed; a Cushing win and Union Grove loss makes a 3 way tie between those 2 and Big Sandy; 

District 11

Current Standings

1 Joaquin (5-0)

2 Harleton (4-1)

3 Garrison (3-3)

4 Timpson (2-3)

5 Linden-Kildare (2-3)

6 Beckville (1-4)

7 Tenaha (1-4)

Locks: Joaquin, Harleton and Garrison are IN

Eliminated: Tenaha

Week 11 Joaquin vs Harleton; Timpson vs Beckville; Tenaha vs Linden-Kildare; Garrison BYE

Joaquin and Harleton will determine 1 & 2 seed; Timpson is in and clinches 3 seed with a win; A Timpson win (no matter other results) eliminates everyone else and Garrison is the 4 seed;
A Timpson loss opens up a Pandora’s box of possibilities...Garrison would be the 3 seed; LK could claim the 4 seed with a win; A Tenaha win in this scenario would create a 4 way tie for 4th between Timpson, Beckville, LK and Tenaha...Tenaha and Beckville would be 2-1 against the others, LK & Timpson would be 1-2. Beckville would then have the head to head on Tenaha and thus claim the 4 seed

District 12

Current Standings

1 San Augustine (4-0)

2 Groveton (3-1)

3 Shelbyville (3-1)

4 Deweyville (1-3)

5 West Sabine (1-3)

6 Hull-Daisetta (0-4)

Locks: SA, Groveton and Shelbyville are IN

Eliminated: Hull-Daisetta

Week 11: SA vs Shelbyville, Groveton vs HD; West Sabine vs Deweyville

SA clinches 1 seed with win; Shelbyville clinches 1 seed with win and Groveton loss; Groveton clinches 2 seed with win and SA win; 3 way tie going down to points occurs with Shelbyville and Groveton wins; 

West Sabine and Deweyville winner is the 4 seed;

Predicted Playoff Bracket

(W9) Centerville vs (F10) Big Sandy

(R12) Groveton vs (T11) Timpson

(W10) Alto vs (F9) Cayuga

(R11) Harleton vs (T12) Shelbyville 

(W11) Joaquin vs (F12) Deweyville 

(R10) Carlisle vs (T9) Leon

(W12) San Augustine vs (F11) Garrison

(R9) Normangee vs (T10) Hawkins

What the heck happened to Tennyhaw

Groveton monkey stomps a Timpson team that Joaquin beats 21 to 14. Timpson didn't even score on but not TD on Grovetons first string and they don't pass the eye test... Okay.. Groveton threw three pick 6s against SA or it would have been a different game not saying that SA did a good job game planning. Groveton was missing two of Thier best players and almost beat Buffalo. I personally think Alto will come out of the region especially if they get thier stud receiver back. JMO.. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Reddog92 said:

Groveton monkey stomps a Timpson team that Joaquin beats 21 to 14. Timpson didn't even score on but not TD on Grovetons first string and they don't pass the eye test... Okay.. Groveton threw three pick 6s against SA or it would have been a different game not saying that SA did a good job game planning. Groveton was missing two of Thier best players and almost beat Buffalo. I personally think Alto will come out of the region especially if they get thier stud receiver back. JMO.. 

That's interesting if i remember correctly SA already had the game won at the half 42-14, even without those 3 pick 6's which SA caused I don't think Groveton would've made it close.