Celina(6-3/4-1) @ Argyle(9-0/5-0) Rivalry Game

regaleagle

I do believe it will be easier for Argyle to answer scores by Celina than vice-versa.  So if Argyle does find themselves down by one or two scores at any point, it will be easier for Argyle's offense to come back than it will be for Celina's.  This will be true all thru the playoffs when any team plays against Argyle this season.  

Both teams are well-coached and play with discipline.......so penalty flags should not be flying around like in some games.  I think the refs will let the action flow for the most part because this game will most probably  be played very cleanly with a few mistakes made here and there like normal.

That all sounds very logical.......but when you are Celina's rival and they have had 2 full weeks to strategize a gameplan for Argyle........believe me they will cook up  some plays for sure.  You don't think that the Celina coaching staff doesn't already know their chances are slim if they just run the ball???  They know Argyle will load the box to shut down their running game.......it's just not gonna be that simple, folks.  Celina is gonna show up and throw some curve balls at Argyle they haven't done all season.......almost guaranteed!!  

Celina has some very good players.  Their QB Hunter Watson(6-3/190) is a senior seasoned QB and does have a very good arm.  As I recall, their Mr. Everything Logan Point(6-0/200/Sr.) at RB can also throw it if he needs to.......so they might even put him in the wildcat and give him some options.  They also have some speedy skill guys at receiver......like Grayson Wester and Luke Addy, not to mention their other RB/Wideout Isaiah Martinez that was on the bench due to injuries for most of the season.  That don't even count their bigboy TE Logan Walker(6-2/230/Sr.) that they might throw to like Argyle does with Jasper Lott when they are in the Red Zone.  And then they have DJ Dell'Anno(6-7/195/Jr.) to throw to.  Now come on......they got some people.  NOPE......Celina has plenty on offense if they decide to open up their passing game.  And what about those 3 outstanding LB's on defense.......Logan Engle(6-2/216/Sr.) and Logan Point plays on defense all over the place.  They've got some beef on the lines too.  Don't fool yourself with their schedule and those losses with the injuries to starting linemen they had.......this team IS getting healthy now and they DO have the personnel to go deep.  Just because they didn't throw much earlier in the season doesn't mean they can't.  They will this week.......just wait and see.

I'm just glad that Argyle has such an overwhelming offense this season.......or our goose would be cooked in this one.  Thank goodness the defense has had this many games to improve and they are still improving.  I guess they will be tested pretty good in this game against Celina this week......so we shall see what we can expect from them in the playoffs.  This game will be a primer for the playoffs for both teams......and both teams are still improving in certain areas.

Still no word on the injury situation to some of Argyle's starters.......we lost a good one for the season in the first game. Connor Kilgore(5-11/165/Sr/Captain) has been playing on varsity as a WR and dependable lock-down Dback since his soph. season.  He has great agility and speed and has been missed all season long. He was a very good receiver and great in the secondary.  Not sure about the other banged up starters or even the severity of any injuries.  But Argyle does have excellent depth in just about all areas.

14 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Celina has some very good players.  Their QB Hunter Watson(6-3/190) is a senior seasoned QB and does have a very good arm.  As I recall, their Mr. Everything Logan Point(6-0/200/Sr.) at RB can also throw it if he needs to.......so they might even put him in the wildcat and give him some options.  They also have some speedy skill guys at receiver......like Grayson Wester and Luke Addy, not to mention their other RB/Wideout Isaiah Martinez that was on the bench due to injuries for most of the season.  That don't even count their bigboy TE Logan Walker(6-2/230/Sr.) that they might throw to like Argyle does with Jasper Lott when they are in the Red Zone.  And then they have DJ Dell'Anno(6-7/195/Jr.) to throw to.  Now come on......they got some people.  NOPE......Celina has plenty on offense if they decide to open up their passing game.  And what about those 3 outstanding LB's on defense.......Logan Engle(6-2/216/Sr.) and Logan Point plays on defense all over the place.  They've got some beef on the lines too.  Don't fool yourself with their schedule and those losses with the injuries to starting linemen they had.......this team IS getting healthy now and they DO have the personnel to go deep.  Just because they didn't throw much earlier in the season doesn't mean they can't.  They will this week.......just wait and see.

One small thing, we don't use Point on defense. He takes enough of a beating on the offensive side of the ball. No doubts he would be a best of a linebacker, but he won't see that side of the ball.

Other than that, you're right here, regal, Celina has plenty of dudes that can make plays. We just haven't utilized them very well. Martinez being the main one there, as he's just battled injury all year long. He's a heck of a kicker too, when healthy. Wester and Addy are both very good with the ball in their hands, we just haven't gotten it to them much at all. And Dell'Anno is a mismatch no matter who he's against, but, again, we haven't utilized him. We didn't target him once in the Melissa game, even though he was covered 1-on-1 by a DB a foot smaller than him. A lot of the woes on the offensive side of the ball have been with the offensive line. But that is what it is. We've got guys getting healthy and coming back soon, so hopefully we see a turnaround there. Watson CAN throw the ball when he has time, and he CAN make plays with his feet. He's a great athlete. I personally think Celina could scheme a bit more to help Watson, by designing plays to get the ball out quicker. The Bobcats don't use enough motion and misdirection, in my opinion. It's too cut and dry, which just does the defense a favor, especially when they can guess run and be correct in their guess three out of four times you snap the ball.

All that said, the Bobcats WILL have to throw the ball to beat Argyle this week. They WILL have to throw the ball to beat any of the top teams, actually, and make a deep run. Hopefully they display an ability to do that this week.

14 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Still no word on the injury situation to some of Argyle's starters.......we lost a good one for the season in the first game. Connor Kilgore(5-11/165/Sr/Captain) has been playing on varsity as a WR and dependable lock-down Dback since his soph. season.  He has great agility and speed and has been missed all season long. He was a very good receiver and great in the secondary.  Not sure about the other banged up starters or even the severity of any injuries.  But Argyle does have excellent depth in just about all areas.

Hate to hear that for the kid. Especially his senior season and with the real chance to win it all.

Will Byce play this week, you think? Or will they stick with Scoggins and Farris? If Byce is even remotely banged up, I imagine they would hold him out at least this week — and possibly next — to get his legs fresh for a real run. The other two backs are more than capable anyway.

My gut feeling is they will let Byce sit even if he could possibly play.  That way  he avoids a re-injury and then is probably not needed next week either.  Farris took a banging to his body with 40 carries in the Melissa game.......that's a Ralston-like workman effort.  That's why he had 225+ yds rushing in that game.  Last week against Anna,  Scoggins and Trevor Duck did very well. Scoggins is a soph. and Duck a thick junior.  Scoggins is pretty big too, but has more speed also.  I think Argyle is good in the backfield regardless of who plays.  That O-line we had to replace except for one has turned out to be very good.  There are a couple of capable backups that could start for most playoff teams on the bench for the O-line too.  It's like Celina when they were winning State Championships.........these kids start in grade school and win every game.  By the time they reach high school they are pretty good.  It's a winning program now and a winning tradition.  And now we have more enrollment to have the numbers.......something Celina never had in those winning years.  And Celina has them too now.  Boy.......I sure do love y'all's new stadium and digs over there.  And so much room out there for growth and expansion.  Argyle is still a bit landlocked compared to Celina. But they are building another thousand houses  in that field off 35 heading to Fort Worth from Denton. Looks like Argyle might go 5A by 2024 with Celina, Anna, Melissa, Decatur, and Springtown......but maybe not.  Maybe they will raise the numbers enough where some of these schools will stay just underneath for another realignment.

I'm not sure what all these schools turned in for this year's realignment, but I imagine Melissa is the closest of the bunch to 5A. Celina won't be far behind. Maybe one more cycle at 4A and then it's probably on up. We'll see. The economic downshift of the mid-2000s is probably what kept Celina below 5A for this long. Another turn like that could extend the Bobcats' time below the 5A cutoff mark, but everything down that way is booming so big, it's hard to imagine it right now.

By the way......Byce and Jasper Lott are juniors this season......and so is Cole Kirkpatrick. CJ Rogers(6-3/190) is actually a very good QB and a junior. The O-line will be experienced next season as well.  Argyle has good receivers and d-backs out the kazoo......working on getting those linebackers up to level also. Argyle will be very good next season as well, but it's difficult to replace a Hogeboom.

If your team has a throwing QB that can let go of the ball quickly.......he's not nearly as at risk for injury as one that runs it or takes hits all the time.  I think Decatur and Argyle have a very similar offensive setup in that regard, and so does Stephenville to a certain degree.  Argyle has just evolved this offense over the years into one that is very proficient and very difficult to defend against.  It's taken some years to get it where it is, but now you are seeing some consistency in it each year. No offense is the perfect answer against all the speed and size of defenses today.......Carthage and Celina have good ones.  But Argyle is one team that will give even the best of defenses serious trouble......just ask La Vega.

In the Argyle offensive scheme......you don't need a Hogeboom to win consistently.  But you need a Hogeboom to win the whole enchilada against very good defenses.  Paris has that guy at QB.......their HC's son Luke Hohenberger(6-1/180/Soph.).  But they don't have the offensive scheme he needs to be prolific......yet!!  Put him in Argyle and watch this kid evolve.......he's got all the tools.

The way it was kept quiet......I had a feeling it might be something like that.  Luckily.......he has his senior season to look forward to.  He'll get the best of treatment for that knee if it's not too awfully damaged.......and the medical technology today is off the charts in what is possible for these athletes.  Argyle's theme for the season is "NMU".....NEXT MAN UP!!!  It's in their locker room and known by the entire student body.  It's a psychological prep for all the players from the gitgo.......I like it and it makes sense.  They incorporated it for the whole school in all UIL events to let the students feel they are all part of a bigger team that all work together as a team.

Tito Byce had about 880 yds rushing this season in 8 games(with only partial duty).  His special abilities are his vision and speed thru the hole and in the open field.  He's a midsized RB at 5-10/185.....very tenacious with great moves and some power also.  He has that combination of speed, vision, moves, and power that make a good back great.  If you ever watched him play......you would clearly be able to see his qualities on the field and what he adds to the offense.  He's a big threat to break off a big one on any run.  And he didn't need much of a hole to do it with......his understanding of the offense and his vision is that good.  Argyle will have to depend on their other RB's now......luckily they have some good ones.  But he is the best of the group by far.......and that is just very unfortunate for Tito and for this season's team.  But Next Man Up because these things happen.....esp. in football.

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

I'm not sure what all these schools turned in for this year's realignment, but I imagine Melissa is the closest of the bunch to 5A. Celina won't be far behind. Maybe one more cycle at 4A and then it's probably on up. We'll see. The economic downshift of the mid-2000s is probably what kept Celina below 5A for this long. Another turn like that could extend the Bobcats' time below the 5A cutoff mark, but everything down that way is booming so big, it's hard to imagine it right now.

Supposedly...…….A - 1051...……...M - 970...……..C - 849

54 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Supposedly...…….A - 1051...……...M - 970...……..C - 849

Man, if that 5A cutoff jumps up as high as some have projected, Celina could dangerously flirt with another brief stint in 4A DII. Hard to say it will happen, but it's certainly possible.

8 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Man, if that 5A cutoff jumps up as high as some have projected, Celina could dangerously flirt with another brief stint in 4A DII. Hard to say it will happen, but it's certainly possible.

Doubt it goes above 835.......But if Celina dropped, they then would have to deal with Pleasant Grove and Carthage.