5A DII Region III Bi-District: Huntsville (7-3) Vs. Marshall (7-3)

Mavchamp

Huntsville (7-3) Vs. Marshall (7-3)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Huntsville by a little
    • Marshall by a little
    • Huntsville in a blowout
    • Marshall in a blowout

It's a rematch.... AND a homecoming all in one for this one.

Marshall will host the team that ended their season last year in the Class 5A Region II Semifinals. 

The Hornets won the game on a failed 2 point conversion by the Mavs, 35-34.

It will also be former Marshall head football coach Rodney Southern's first time back on the sidelines at Maverick Stadium since 2006.

Southern was the boss at Marshall from 2002-2006, where he lead Marshall to back to back state title games in 2004 and 2005.

Huntsville (7-3) enters the game the #4 seed from District 10, finishing behind A&M Consolidated, Lamar Consolidated, and Katy Paetow.

Marshall (7-3) enters the game the #1 seed from District 9, finishing ahead of Whitehouse, Lindale, and Pine Tree.

I'll toss in more historical and statistical information in the coming day or two.

Enjoy!

GO MAVS GO!

• Like 1

I want to say Marshall, but they’ll still have to prove it to me. Huntsville doesn’t seem to be the team people thought they would be this year, but still, difficult for me to pick any 5A D2 East Texas team right now. 

I expected Marshall to dominate Pine Tree tbh. What happened there??

4 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I want to say Marshall, but they’ll still have to prove it to me. Huntsville doesn’t seem to be the team people thought they would be this year, but still, difficult for me to pick any 5A D2 East Texas team right now. 

Where to begin.......

1.  PT came to WIN.  We just kinda went through the motions.  Worst overall game since Carthage.

2.  Marshall offense was very one dimensional tonight.  Very few pass attempts.  Can't even recall how many times we got deep in PT territory and came away empty handed.  Settled for 3  points once on a 1st and goal at the PT 2.5.  Was inside the PT 20 a couple of other times.... nothing due to penalties or mistakes.  Should have had more points.  Credit the PT defense for slowing us down.

3.  Mav defense had some outstanding stops....but some serious issues with tackling.  We couldn't stop PT most of the second half.  They ran and passed at will up and down the field.  A couple of stands deep in our territory saved the game.

4.  Special teams gave up TWO onsides kicks.....both which resulted in PT scores.  Marshall was winning the game 38-19 with just over a min left on the clock.  But 14 points in the final min made it interesting.

Even if we had won 38-19..... it was a pretty lackadaisical game.  Way too many issues.  But the fact that PT pulled within 38-33 with 15 seconds left...... 

I know games like that happen.  Trap games.  Meaningless games in the grand scheme/standings.  It was 36 degrees. 

But wowsers. 

Like I said.... it was the worst game we've played in 2 months.  I'd rather it happen now than in the playoffs.

Hope it served as a wake-up call.  Otherwise our playoff chase will be a short one.

As always.... GO MAVS GO!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

After watching them in the scrimmage, you could kinda see the defense wasn’t as good as last season on the dline without the D1 kids. They were still a good group and i remember one guy at DE that gave us trouble. Linebackers are good too. The first team offense couldn’t score at all in the scrimmage either. It seems they’ve struggled against the good teams this season. Honestly, don’t know who will win this one. Something tells me Marshall because they are at home, but the Hornets are still a good team that’s well coached. You have to flip a coin with this one. Not sure who wins it. Definitely wouldn’t be shocked if Huntsville won. They are a very good 4th seed traveling fo Marshall. Probably the best 4th seed in 5A. Tough game for the Mavs to start off with. 

Marshall...

Savion Williams will.be the difference.

Coach Griedl moving him to QB was a tremendous move because Savion is a special player...probably the best pure athlete for the Mavericks in a number of years !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Pine Tree is one of the up and coming programs in East Texas !

I realize it's hard for you to grasp this occurrence but the Pirates have a great coaching staff which is now building a program with real talent that's beginning to blossom from their Junior High into the High School.

Really it's the entire City of Longview that is "blessed" with some of the best athletes "pound for pound" that are coming down the proverbial pipe !

The Pirates will have 8 starters set to return on both Offense & Defense next season combined with an Undefeated District Champion JV team and winning teams all the way down through the 7th grade.

So that's basically it in a nutshell that happened last night !

R.J.

22 minutes ago, RandyJohnson said:

Marshall...

Savion Williams will.be the difference.

Coach Griedl moving him to QB was a tremendous move because Savion is a special player...probably the best pure athlete for the Mavericks in a number of years !

The Huntsville defense the few times i watched them was pretty good. If their offense was better, i would probably pick them to win it. I think it’s a close game either way. Pulling for Mavs 

• Like 2

Interesting historical stat:

This will be the fourth playoff game between Marshall and Huntsville......

Mavs have played Huntsville in the playoffs more than any other team.  Marshall leads the series (2-1).

1988:  5A Area Playoff- Marshall won 30-22 @ Texas Stadium
1990:  5A Quarterfinal Playoff- Marshall won 21-8 @ Texas Stadium
2018:  5A Region Semifinal Playoff- Huntsville won 35-34 @ The Star
2019:  5A Bi-District Playoff- ???? Maverick Stadium

Lufkin is second with three playoff games.

39 minutes ago, EazyMoney said:

Marshall can’t be worried about 4 seed, can they?  

You have to be worried about every opponent in the playoffs lol. It’s win or go home. Plus...it’s freakin Huntsville. They were ranked in the top ten for most of the season right? I don’t care about seeding. Foster and Huntsville are as dangerous as most of the top two seeds  from any district in 5A this year. 

No doubt Marshall didn’t get a true 4 seed this year.  One horrible 2nd half against Paetow kept Huntsville from an easy 2 seed.  The Huntsville defense is dominating.  The real question is if the Hornet offense can stay on the field with sustained drives.  If they can, Marshall will be in for a battle.  I predict Huntsville wins the 1st half and Marshall wins the 2nd half.  Not sure how that ends.  

Looks like it's going to be another COLD game this Friday..... expected to be in the low 30's.  Even colder than it was last Friday night.

Going to make passing the ball a little harder for both teams.  Might come down to who has the best running game/run defense.