5A Div I Lufkin Panthers vs Texas High Tigers at Abe Martin in Lufkin.

PackAttack

Texas High will travel to Lufkin next Friday to play the Panthers in the first round of the 5A DI playoffs.   Lufkin from District 8-5A DI is 9-1 on the year and Texas High from District 7-5A DI comes in with a 6-4 record.

The last time Lufkin and Texas High played was in 1989, a 17-7 win by Lufkin.

Lufkin and Texas High first played in 1953.  They have played a total of 37 games with Lufkin holding a one game advantage at 19-18.

2019 Lufkin results:  9-1

• Longview, L 21-24
  • @ Nacogdoches, W 44-0
  • Redskins Del Estado, MX, W 61-7
  • Willis *, W 42-13
  • @ Magnolia *, W 24-18
  • College Station *, W 31-21
  • @ Tomball *, W 55-22
  • Magnolia West *, W 52-7
  • @ Conroe Caney Creek *, W 58-0
  • Waller *, W 42-14

2019 Texas High Results: 6-4

• Pflugerville Hendrickson, L 7-21
  • @ Arkansas High, AR, W 28-7
  • Texarkana Liberty-Eylau, W 62-13
  • @ Kilgore, W 30-14
  • @ Tyler John Tyler *, L 0-16
  • McKinney North *, L 41-62
  • @ Mesquite Poteet *, L 10-55
  • Sherman *, W 27-14
  • @ Wylie East *, W 40-13
  • West Mesquite *, W 41-14

25 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Lufkin by 21. Glad to see the Tigers back in the playoffs.  Dropping to D2 next year will help. 

Didn't traylor coach on thigh staff many moons ago,? Could this be a place that could get him back in high school ball 🤔. And I'm not trying to start stuff in any way, just wondering what it would take to get him back in high school level ball.. 

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

Lufkin wins it by 28 but they may have some trouble with T-High front 7.

Lufkin OL will get them in trouble eventually.

Yeah the line is our Achilles heel. Once we get matched up with the teams with the good defenses, it’s gonna be tough. If we make it that far lol 

After watching both teams(video for Thigh), I think the Pack should win by at least a few scores imo. Smith for Thigh will give our oline problems of course, but we should still win it. I think Lufkin is the better team from top to bottom and playing at home should give us an advantage too. I expect the defense to come out with a great game led by Bugg and Odom. Ingram should be ready too after not really playing much on Friday. Probably close early trying to feel them out with all the excitement and then we take control late.

Although I wanted to play JT for obvious reasons lol and the Lufkin crowd would've been bigger for it, I'm still looking forward to this one. I've never seen Texas High against Lufkin. Honestly not sure I've ever seen Thigh play up close or have attended a Thigh game. I'm looking forward to it all though and having another playoff game at Abe.

Safe travels to everyone driving down from Texarkana. Lp!

2 minutes ago, Gametyme said:

If Texas High can cause problems with their front 7 they may be able to make it uncomfortable for a good chunk of the game. Lufkin should win but we going to have to show up and not expect them to roll over.

Yea, that Smith kid is a good one at LB for Texas High. The kids didn't look as focus as they should have been last Friday. I hope we come out on both sides playing better, especially the lines.

3 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Yea, that Smith kid is a good one at LB for Texas High. The kids didn't look as focus as they should have been last Friday. I hope we come out on both sides playing better, especially the lines.

That's all it takes. Play flat and uninspired. Because I think they will give our offense trouble early. Hell you saw Waller stone wall our running game. Berry 80 yards on 20 carries vs the last ranked run defense in our district. Worst offensive line Lufkin has had since 1992 I'm assuming. It's the worst I've seen since I can remember.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gametyme said:

That's all it takes. Play flat and uninspired. Because I think they will give our offense trouble early. Hell you saw Waller stone wall our running game. Berry 80 yards on 20 carries vs the last ranked run defense in our district. Worst offensive line Lufkin has had since 1992 I'm assuming. It's the worst I've seen since I can remember.

Yea, I can’t make any excuses for that on Friday. I thought they were making improvements based on the last few weeks. Not sure. But I witnessed some horrible blocking on Friday....if you want to call it that. And the fact that it was against Waller.......just hoping that was the reason. The opponent. Just not inspired because of who they were playing. Which is sad, but I’m hoping that and the emotion of senior night for some of them was it. I don’t know...honestly. Both sides need to get it together though. I was proud of how Bugg was stepping up yelling at them. You can’t say he wasn’t ready on Friday. The receivers stepped up too with Polk out. They made some very good plays and our TE too. He definitely knows how to block. Don’t know what the problem was for the others and the lack of discipline on some plays by really just one person...made me sick. But it what it is. Just hope for the best from them. I know these seniors don’t want to go out like they did in Waco last year. So, we’ll see..

5 minutes ago, Gametyme said:

If you remember back in 03 we played a terrible John Tyler team and won 15-7. In 04 we struggled first half vs Huntsville. I know first hand how a team can sleep walk because of who you play. So I can give them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Definitely. I forgot all about that Huntsville game lol

4 minutes ago, Gametyme said:

If you remember back in 03 we played a terrible John Tyler team and won 15-7. In 04 we struggled first half vs Huntsville. I know first hand how a team can sleep walk because of who you play. So I can give them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

I know it happens.  Teams playing meaningless games can be hard to get up for.

I Hope that was the case for us Friday night.

Uninspired was an understatement.

Glad it wasn't just us.  UGH.

15 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I know it happens.  Teams playing meaningless games can be hard to get up for.

I Hope that was the case for us Friday night.

Uninspired was an understatement.

Glad it wasn't just us.  UGH.

It does happen and in the playoffs it can bite you if you're not mentally ready.

17 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Definitely. I forgot all about that Huntsville game lol

We got cursed out pretty good at Huntsville at half-time. The JT game a fight almost broke out between Ayers and Green at half. Back then we were like f coach for doing that but now as I am older and having coached kids as old as 12-13 I can see where Green was coming from lol.

1 minute ago, Gametyme said:

We got cursed out pretty good at Huntsville at half-time. The JT game a fight almost broke out between Ayers and Green at half. Back then we were like f coach for doing that but now as I am older and having coached kids as old as 12-13 I can see where Green was coming from lol.

I really thought we were going to lose that game in Huntsville. That one and I think the Collins game later on in the regular season. But I heard about that lol.