Paris vs Alvarado

bluetopper

Paris can put a tail whipping on them if they don’t have to rely upon their QB to throw the ball.  He is reasonably athletic but not in a throwing the ball kind of way. 

They are also athletic on defense but somewhat undisciplined.  Ought to be a very good game.  Paris by 14 I’ll say. 

Believe me.......Hohenberger at QB CAN throw the ball accurately IF his line gives him some time.  The guy has the tools......he's a soph. and improving as he matures.  Don't sell him short or the rest of the team.  They played 10 straight games before they got a Bye Week.......and some pretty darn good teams.  They got banged up a bit, but now I look for them to make a run.  This is a very good football team and they've had all season to get better.  Paris might just win this one going away.  

Paris beat Alvarado 14-10 in a 2016 area playoff.  That was an upset.  This one is more of a tossup game, but I like the Cats' chances in this one.  They've basically had 3 weeks to heal and correct some of those defensive issues that popped up during the 3 district losses.

• Like 1

Alvarado, on offense, resembles Celina with a big running back (#34 Colby Sampson), a 2,000-yard rusher who does a good job following his blockers.  He had almost 400 yards in their early-season loss to #4 Decatur.  They don't pass that much, but the QB is tall and effective on run-action rollouts.  Paris defense will be tested.  On the other hand, Alvarado hasn't seen a run attack like Paris maybe all year, certainly not in their district.  This could be a barn-burner.

Alvarado better bring their "A" game on defense to stop the Paris running attack.  And once they load up that box, then lookout for Hohenberger hitting his receivers for big plays.  The passes don't even have to be long ones......just get those guys the ball in their hands in open space and let them do their thing.  Paris is just too athletic all around for a team without speed......end of story.  Alvarado will try to hang their hat on their defense and their pounding RB to burn clock, but I doubt that will be enough against this Paris team.

Alvarado’s district is very weak. They did go 1-2 in a tough preseason schedule. But reading these posts about Paris and discipline then Paris will struggle. Alvarado is one of the most disciplined teams in the state. Paris will have better athletes by far but Alvarado’s discipline will make it a great football game.

Let me just put it this way.......IF Alvarado wins this game......that's a mighty big IF.......they would be doing all the other teams in the path of Paris a favor.......believe me!!  NOBODY wants to face this Paris team in the playoffs......not Argyle, not La Vega, not Melissa.......Nobody.  Just like nobody wants to face Argyle or La Vega in the playoffs if they don't have to........I feel Paris is that kind of quality if they get on a roll with most of their starters healthy.    Especially their RB Jackson.......he MUST be healthy for them to be effective.

From the filmclips I see,  looks like Alvarado will get their scores.  They average over 330 yds/game on offense rushing, but only 73 passing.  That's really, really unbalanced.  When you play against a team with some athletic speedy guys on defense, your average in the rushing game will usually drop down.  The long breakaway runs may not happen......and what would be a score against a less speedy and athletic team will not happen against this Paris bunch.  Then you try the passes and find out Paris has some athletic D-backs that can cover and make up the distance while the ball is in the air.  So you go back to your running game.  Should be an interesting game.  Alvarado is averaging 43 pts/game against their weaker schedule.  

Paris does not list any team stats on MaxPreps.......but it really doesn't matter anyway.  They have a triple-threat running game when Zykius Jackson is healthy as he gives their offense that added threat that allows the rest of their RB's and even Hohenberger their QB to become effective. They have averaged about 39 pts against their schedule this season........some of that with Jackson on the bench injured.  I think with a team like Paris confidence is a big deal......an intangible that is either turned on or turned off like a light switch.  IF they play well on offense.......they will play well on defense and vice-versa.  IF they have trouble in one area......it may affect the way they play in other areas.  So this is a very dangerous and very capable team when they begin breaking plays on offense.  They become better in the other areas too.......like a Jekyll-Hyde team.  

So what does this mean???  It means if Paris gets up on Alvarado by 2 scores......then lookout!!!  They could absolutely go-off on them......they have the athletes and capabilities to do that on both sides of the ball.  They are NOT a ground and pound offense......they are a multi-talented offense that becomes a machine when all the parts are working.

I like this game as being the Top Round 1 game in Class 4A this week.......with the Henderson/Midlothian Heritage matchup the next best (or most interesting) game.  But this is a #1 vs #4  matchup.......and the Henderson/ Heritage game is a #2 vs #3 matchup.  Paris could be a #1 in another district, IMHO......so that makes this game worth the watch.

On 11/10/2019 at 6:08 PM, Parisian said:

Paris beat Alvarado 14-10 in a 2016 area playoff.  That was an upset.  This one is more of a tossup game, but I like the Cats' chances in this one.  They've basically had 3 weeks to heal and correct some of those defensive issues that popped up during the 3 district losses.

Actually 4 weeks if you count the distance from the Bye Week until kickoff.  Sanger, North Lamar, Bye Week, and now this week = 4 weeks to get healthier and work on some stuff.

Obviously, they didn't need to work on much against Sanger(54-7) or North Lamar(62-7).  They did as well as any of the other 3 playoff teams out of District 7 against these teams. I'm telling ya.......just watch out for this team.  Not sure how good they could be.......but we're fixin' to find out!  I know one thing for sure......Melissa, Argyle, Celina, La Vega, Brownwood, Stephenville, and maybe even China Spring are all good teams in this region, too.  Kennedale and Alvarado have to be included.  So that's ten teams right there, and at least two will not get out of the first round. China Spring plays Kennedale in Round 1 this week also.