🤬 Annual rant about losing teams backing into the playoffs

Everide2016

Here we go.  I know I've seen plenty of 1-2 win teams make the playoffs, but don't recall ever seeing a zero win team.  Well we have 0-10 Iraan.  Any others?  I know it's the system, but why not have some integrity, or whatever one wants to call it, and just forfeit the game.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

Era is another ... all four team districts ... just one of those oddities that usually happen at lower classifications in wide open spaces ... 

If I remember correctly, Scarborough was placed in a five-school district that year (2014), then right before the season opened one of the schools was almost shut down - but was allowed to stay open if they discontinued athletics.

Aberrations happen ... IMHO the entire system of expanded playoffs shouldn't be dismantled because of one.

Forfeit ... maybe ... but I still believe kids, coaches, and fans would rather play than sit.  There's a bunch of people who post here that would have liked to have one more night in a huddle ... But that's just my take.  It doesn't make it right - it just makes it mine.

• Like 2

Just got to accept it as a foreseeable consequence of the two division system. It's ultra-fair, but it means more travel and in some cases smaller districts vulnerable to some school suddenly dropping football or, especially in 2A D2, just not being able to field a team anymore. It's a self-correcting problem; one week of playoff football fixes it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

I know it's the system, but why not have some integrity

Integrity is playing by the rules ... and the rules as they exist allow for an 0-10 playoff team.

Huh. Looks like Iraan's district was just four teams from the start. Crazy thing is they went 11-3 last year. Graduation must've really kicked their rears. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoodFellas said:

I just think only first and second should get in the playoffs.

I don't understand this thinking when third and fourth place teams, regardless of the sport, continue to win in the playoffs. Just because it's the way we used to do it when there were half as many teams doesn't work these days.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DOB said:

Era is another ... all four team districts ... just one of those oddities that usually happen at lower classifications in wide open spaces ... 

If I remember correctly, Scarborough was placed in a five-school district that year (2014), then right before the season opened one of the schools was almost shut down - but was allowed to stay open if they discontinued athletics.

Aberrations happen ... IMHO the entire system of expanded playoffs shouldn't be dismantled because of one.

Forfeit ... maybe ... but I still believe kids, coaches, and fans would rather play than sit.  There's a bunch of people who post here that would have liked to have one more night in a huddle ... But that's just my take.  It doesn't make it right - it just makes it mine.

Era's district was a five-team last year. Campbell dropped out and did independent six-man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

Houston Scarborough will have some company as the only

0-11 team Print the shirts

Not only that, Scarborough was on a 57 game losing streak when they made the playoffs in 2014.  They did it again in 2015, all due to a 5 team district in which one team had to drop athletics.  They were 1-9 in 2015 as they did find a cream puff to play to break the streak.  They had to play WOS both years but hey, they got playoff shirts.  

1 hour ago, BlahBlah said:

Tornillo was an 0-10 last year, and had to play a ranked 10-0 Shallowater team in the first round.  Absolutely no one showed up on the Tornillo side.  Not even one parent.  

Shallowater won 63-0.

Could it be caused by the fact that:

That the game was played on Thursday

That the starting time for the game was 5:00 pm (unheard of around here)

That the game was played In Andrews, With Tornillo being about 4 hours away (Shallowater's drive was less than two)

Not to mention the fact that economics probably meant parents from Tornillo were less likely to be able to take a day off from work to get there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Here we go.  I know I've seen plenty of 1-2 win teams make the playoffs, but don't recall ever seeing a zero win team.  Well we have 0-10 Iraan.  Any others?  I know it's the system, but why not have some integrity, or whatever one wants to call it, and just forfeit the game.

Didn't Iraan play for a SC a couple yrs ago? 

58 minutes ago, NightStar11 said:

Is it right that John Tyler be in the playoffs with a 3-7 record??

3-7 is JT overall record, but Overall record is irrelevant.  The district record is the only record that matters. In some districts you could have 3-7 overall record and win the district.

JT finished 3rd in district...It is what it is.  

6 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

3-7 is JT overall record, but Overall record is irrelevant.  The district record is the only record that matters. In some districts you could have 3-7 overall record and win the district.

JT finished 3rd in district...It is what it is.  

I know HOW it works, I just don't agree that it's a good system. It's basically social promotion applied to football. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to 🤬 Annual rant about losing teams backing into the playoffs