🤬 Annual rant about losing teams backing into the playoffs

Everide2016

9 hours ago, TDJ89 said:

Didn't Iraan play for a SC a couple yrs ago? 

They finished Runner-Up in '16 ... in the 4-yrs of 2013-2014-2015-2016 they were 49-4 ... last year they were 10-2 ... have no idea why the fall off ... WOW

TxF shows them returning 6 off and 5 def starters this yr with a new head coach ... picked 2nd in district

Opened the season with a 80-6 loss to Crane ... downhill from there ... in their ten losses they scored 6 points or less in nine of them.  On defense, they averaged giving up 48 points a game ... not sure what happened to those 5 or 6 starters on both sides of the ball.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW ... news sources indicate that the enrollment has fallen to less than 100 in HS and 70 in Jr High ... the state closed the Texas Challenge Academy in Sheffield which meant that the district lost about 30-40% of its funding and had to reduce its staff by almost 1/2.

• Like 1

I think that if you have zero wins you should not be able to advance to the playoffs.  If you were the #1 seed about to play this winless team that got the #4 seed, then you would then just have a first round bye.  Luck of the draw.  That's basically what usually happens anyway.  If the UIL would simply not form these 4 team districts it would not matter anyway.  You can find a way to get at least 5 teams in a district.  Especially when some in the same region have 7 and 8 teams in the district.  I don't care if it turns out being a little further drive for a couple of schools.  Stop letting a winless team in the PLAYOFFS.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 2

4 hours ago, NightStar11 said:

I know HOW it works, I just don't agree that it's a good system. It's basically social promotion applied to football. 

so if a team is 3-7 and they win their district,  How is that social promotion?

and like another poster said, the schedule dictates the record. A 3-7 or 4-6 team could be better than a 10-0 team....i.e. Gilmer last yr.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, chubbychecker said:

I think that if you have zero wins you should not be able to advance to the playoffs.  If you were the #1 seed about to play this winless team that got the #4 seed, then you would then just have a first round bye.  Luck of the draw.  That's basically what usually happens anyway.  If the UIL would simply not form these 4 team districts it would not matter anyway.  You can find a way to get at least 5 teams in a district.  Especially when some in the same region have 7 and 8 teams in the district.  I don't care if it turns out being a little further drive for a couple of schools.  Stop letting a winless team in the PLAYOFFS.

UIL does NOT form 4 team districts, sherlock.....teams DROP out because of lack of kids or whatever other reason........

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

UIL does NOT form 4 team districts, sherlock.....teams DROP out because of lack of kids or whatever other reason........

thats not true.  The Uil created at least 4 districts last yr with only 4 teams....

https://www.oaoa.com/sports/high_school/prepsports/football/article_9d52e1b0-0791-11e8-beb4-7fb40ec26240.html

28 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

23 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

thats not true.  The Uil created at least 4 districts last yr with only 4 teams....

https://www.oaoa.com/sports/high_school/prepsports/football/article_9d52e1b0-0791-11e8-beb4-7fb40ec26240.html

In 4A Division 1 and Region 1..... you have a total of 26 teams in that region.   24 of those teams will make the playoffs no matter their record.   THREE OF THE FOUR DISTRICTS have only 4 teams in their district.  I understand the vastness of West Texas but this is where 4 teams in the playoffs are a little much.

4 hours ago, NightStar11 said:

I know HOW it works, I just don't agree that it's a good system. It's basically social promotion applied to football. 

Ole Radio once again leading the revolution for a better system in football. Schools make their own pre district schedule. If you take overall record into account a school can schedule a weak pre district and somehow prove to be better?  Also in your "good system" are scrimmages taken into consideration for playoffs? 

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, TakamakaMahe said:

In 4A Division 1 and Region 1..... you have a total of 26 teams in that region.   24 of those teams will make the playoffs no matter their record.   THREE OF THE FOUR DISTRICTS have only 4 teams in their district.  I understand the vastness of West Texas but this is where 4 teams in the playoffs are a little much.

Your numbers are off...……...18 teams...…….16 make the playoffs

1 hour ago, mrclean69 said:

Ole Radio once again leading the revolution for a better system in football. Schools make their own pre district schedule. If you take overall record into account a school can schedule a weak pre district and somehow prove to be better?  Also in your "good system" are scrimmages taken into consideration for playoffs? 

Of course

• Stinks 1

I'm with Lobo, why does it bother anyone?  Unless you are from the 0-10 team that has to spend money to travel and support the team for one more beating, why does it matter?  Do you think these kids are running around with Playoff shirts and talking about how awesome they are for making the playoffs?  They are about to go get beat down (most likely) by a first place team.

And if they happened to pull off a win, how awesome would that be for a bunch of kids?

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to 🤬 Annual rant about losing teams backing into the playoffs