🤬 Annual rant about losing teams backing into the playoffs

Everide2016

14 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

I like the four teams, because I like 6 weeks of playoffs.  But, I still contend that if there's a team that hasn't won a single game, the UIL should list that as something like "did not qualify" and have it listed as a first round bye for the team they would have played.  This only eliminates 1-3 playoff games per year, some year none.  

Griping about watching an 0-10 team in the playoffs isn't anything like griping about extra cake.  It is indeed a "watering down."  

Understand they'll lose, but what's the point in having them play.  Give the bye to the other team, they can scrimmage their JV and be better off, or take the entire team on a trip to watch their second round opponent.  They can do something that will be beneficial to their team, not waste time and effort on something that should have never been.

Everyone has a different opinion, some think it's beating a dead horse... I see it as pure common sense that a state that prides itself on High School Football would want making the playoffs to actually mean something.  In the case of an 0-10 team, it means nothing other than the UIL made a stupid decision.  

You give them a bye and you’re giving them an advantage over their round two opponent. You’re giving the lucky bye recipient two weeks of study and preparation instead of the one week the other team gets.

Nope, not a good plan. 

Play the game, it is the current format we have and why does it matter other than possible injuries, which is an everyday possibility for all of us?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

You give them a bye and you’re giving them an advantage over their round two opponent. You’re giving the lucky bye recipient two weeks of study and preparation instead of the one week the other team gets.

Nope, not a good plan. 

Play the game, it is the current format we have and why does it matter other than possible injuries, which is an everyday possibility for all of us?

Well first off, they don't know who they are playing yet, so they wouldn't be preparing for any particular opponent.  If anything, they would just prepare for both - and a 1 seed going up against an 0-10 team that made the playoffs by being in a district with only 4 teams would be doing that anyway.  Giving them a bye wouldn't allow that possibility; they'd already be doing that.

There is no point in this debate in my opinion.  I am always baffled why anyone would care.  I have yet to hear an actual good argument that makes sense logistically.  Some people just don't like the free ride into the playoffs.  Why are you complaining now?  Why not 11 weeks ago when we all knew every team in 4-team districts was going to make the playoffs.  All of a sudden people are shocked that the last place teams in these districts have losing/winless records.  This is just how it works.  It's not unfair.  It's not "everyone gets a blue ribbon".  It's just how the playoffs work in 4-team districts.  Nobody has actually demonstrated a real tangible problem this is creating.  It's just some people don't like it.  "I don't like it"....is the problem.  That's not an actual problem.  That's just people not liking something.

EDIT - HearEmaGrowlin - I accidentally responded to you when I meant to respond to someone else.  Sorry about that.

I can see both sides to this argument.  However, having an 0-fer team in the playoffs does seem a little bit weird.

Don't complain too much, though.  I'm originally from Indiana, and their post season format is all-in.  Add to that, the fact that the teams aren't seeded, either.    It's a blind draw! They do have 1A - 6A classifications, however.

Their regular season games are essentially scrimmages since they have no impact on post season; the only meaningful outcome of those games is a conference championship which has no bearing on the playoffs.  With teams not being seeded it seems like every year there are a handful of strong contenders playing each other first round, and also a few bottom feeders facing off first round - who almost always get wood shedded in round two.  Not ideal IMHO.

There are issues with the Texas system, but I much prefer it to what they're doing in the Hoosier state.  At least teams down here have to earn the right to play in post season - in most cases.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 8:16 AM, Everide2016 said:

Here we go.  I know I've seen plenty of 1-2 win teams make the playoffs, but don't recall ever seeing a zero win team.  Well we have 0-10 Iraan.  Any others?  I know it's the system, but why not have some integrity, or whatever one wants to call it, and just forfeit the game.

It first happened in 2014 with Houston Scarborough.  I remember the story well, even Jerry Rice came out to their practices for motivation, and it didn't help.  https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/11/texas-high-school-winless-playoffs  .  

12 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Nope, not a good plan. 

I'd rather give that "advantage" to the one or two teams a year that would get it than to have the no win team in the playoffs.

Perhaps a better idea is only 3 teams from each district and the first place team from each district get a bye.  Since there are no three team districts, we'd never have a zero win team in the playoffs, right?  I'm liking that.  I know some will say that their are good 4th place teams from strong districts that won't get in the playoffs then.  I still think it's a good trade-off.

2 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

I'd rather give that "advantage" to the one or two teams a year that would get it than to have the no win team in the playoffs.

Perhaps a better idea is only 3 teams from each district and the first place team from each district get a bye.  Since there are no three team districts, we'd never have a zero win team in the playoffs, right?  I'm liking that.  I know some will say that their are good 4th place teams from strong districts that won't get in the playoffs then.  I still think it's a good trade-off.

You’re totally missing the point. Nothing the UIL does is about enhancing the experience for the kids or improving the quality of the competition. It’s all about one thing: $$$$$$$$. You keep asking for a bye for the district champions and they will give you a fifth playoff team. 

• LOL! 1

I don't mind 4 teams in, I like playoff football. I do think the bye week is detrimental to a team that got hot and played their way into the playoffs. You see it a lot in the NFL playoffs that the wildcard team gets hot at the end of the year, gets in and wins/makes it to the Superbowl. Too many times the bye week teams comes out flat, but playing a 4 seed keeps them playing and can actually give younger players some game experience if you take care of your business.

Injuries can happen on the bye week so that doesn't concern me as much.

• Like 1

That count is up to 15. Still a couple left to be played and I didn’t look at 6A due to the split after district. 

16 1vs4 in each division

128 games 

15 won so far

thats right about 12% with a few more to be played and not counting any 6A. 

5A Div 1 has the most with 4.  3A Div2 is the only division without a 4 over a 1. 

I say keep 4 teams. There are the outliers that don’t win that shouldn’t be there but they will get put out that week anyway. 

5 minutes ago, jacketgrad06 said:

That count is up to 15. Still a couple left to be played and I didn’t look at 6A due to the split after district. 

16 1vs4 in each division

128 games 

15 won so far

thats right about 12% with a few more to be played and not counting any 6A. 

5A Div 1 has the most with 4.  3A Div2 is the only division without a 4 over a 1. 

I say keep 4 teams. There are the outliers that don’t win that shouldn’t be there but they will get put out that week anyway. 

Please post this on Setxsports. 

12 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I guess those 1s backed into the playoffs...lol

I can only comment on the AA 1 seed that was eliminated tonight. Their district was beyond bad. The six teams in that district have now combined for a grand total of 5 wins and 30 losses against teams that are not in their district. That includes 3 playoff losses, including the district champion getting rolled by the 4 seed from the neighboring district. Like it or not, 4 teams are here to stay, until it gets expanded to 5. 

9 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I can only comment on the AA 1 seed that was eliminated tonight. Their district was beyond bad. The six teams in that district have now combined for a grand total of 5 wins and 30 losses against teams that are not in their district. That includes 3 playoff losses, including the district champion getting rolled by the 4 seed from the neighboring district. Like it or not, 4 teams are here to stay, until it gets expanded to 5. 

I have no problem with 4.  

and lets be honest, when they add 7a, there are going to be more teams that get in, because you will get 4 from each district in each class.  I agree with you, the UIL is not going to take away playoff teams.

2 hours ago, jacketgrad06 said:

So far as of what I have found I have 10 4’s beating 1’s. That is 2a-5a. Just for a little reference. 

Happens every year yet some people still complain about taking 4 teams. With the current system the best teams can be established on the field which is where it should be decided anyway. Great work 06! I was going to add them up after the weekend but you're all over it. 👍

9 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

I have no problem with 4.  

and lets be honest, when 6a splits, there are going to be more teams that get in, because you will get 4 from each district in each division.  I agree with you, the UIL is not going to take away playoff teams.

All other classifications went from 32 districts to 16 districts in football when the UIL went to Div 1 and Div 2 for district. 
Same number of teams make the playoffs either way. 
6A could be different, I guess. 

1 minute ago, cotton84 said:

All other classifications went from 32 districts to 16 districts in football when the UIL went to Div 1 and Div 2 for district. 
Same number of teams make the playoffs either way. 
6A could be different, I guess. 

true...I meant to say when they add 7a...lol