🤬 Annual rant about losing teams backing into the playoffs

Everide2016

10 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

I have no problem with 4.  

and lets be honest, when they add 7a, there are going to be more teams that get in, because you will get 4 from each district in each class.  I agree with you, the UIL is not going to take away playoff teams.

UIL isn’t going to add 7A until the number of football playing schools by in Texas increases by a fair amount. So by then even more schools making playoffs with 4 per district in 2A-7A will just make sense.

2 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

5 in 5-D1

3 in 5-D2

1 in 4a D1

3 in 4a D2

1 in 3a D1

0 in 3a D2

3 in 2a D1

2 in 2a D1

1 in D2 -2

Lot more than most are accustomed to. Some came from more difficult Districts while some got rid of a pretender. 

Thanks for the information. I haven’t had the chance to get a final tally. This puts it at 14.8% of the 4’s beat 1’s. 

I used to be against the 4’s until I started looking it up a couple years ago like this. This is pretty common every year to have 10-15%. 

7 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

5 in 5-D1

3 in 5-D2

1 in 4a D1

3 in 4a D2

1 in 3a D1

0 in 3a D2

3 in 2a D1

2 in 2a D1

1 in D2 -2

Lot more than most are accustomed to. Some came from more difficult Districts while some got rid of a pretender. 

I think you would be surprised at the large number of #3 seeds that beat #2 seeds this year also.

So the fourth place team from District 11 (Manor) in Class 5A Division 1 has now made it to the fourth round of the playoffs.  They beat the sixth ranked team (Cedar Park) in Dave Campbell's final poll.  Final was 17-14.  So that is two district champs and a district runner-up they've beaten so far.

7 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Liberty Hill entered the playoffs at 4-5 and the fourth seed from their district.  They beat El Campo rather handily tonight and will be playing in fourth round next week.  This is one of those exceptional programs that knows how to kick it in gear.  

Watched a good bit of that game. EC had no answer. 

8 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

Liberty Hill entered the playoffs at 4-5 and the fourth seed from their district.  They beat El Campo rather handily tonight and will be playing in fourth round next week.  This is one of those exceptional programs that knows how to kick it in gear.  

UIL bracket has them as third seed from their district, but still very impressive run.