🔥 Arkansas fires Chad Morris

trueblue82

10 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Either would be good but having Leach in the sec would be outstanding. The pressers alone would be entertaining and we would get post daily on the Mike leech appreciation thread. 

Could you imagine Arkansas on a losing streak and Leach is up there talking about zombies? 😂 

• LOL! 1

I think 1 1/2 years is too short of a time period to judge a head coach.  You have to weed out the prior coaches recruits, and bring in your players.  He hasn't had enough time.  I think coaches  need time to bring in their players to fit their system.  Arkansas simply thinks they're a national powerhouse, and they never have been.  The best season they've had in recent years is #5 in 2011, before that you have to go back to 1964 and 1965 when they finished #2 in the final polls, but did claim a National Championship along with Alabama in 1964.  They haven't ever won one outright.  They had some success in the 70's and 80's, but could only be ranked as high as #8 in 1981 finishing behind SMU. SMU's only loss that year was 9-7 to Texas, and I was at that game.  They brought their own demise and the demise of the old SWC when they left  in 1990.  They can keep suffering in the SEC for all I care .  They did it to themselves and the SWC which was one of the best conferences in the past.    

• Like 2

I can't see Leach leaving Washington State for Arkansas ... yes, Arkansas is in the SEC, but I think it would be a step down from where he is now ... and Arkansas is a dumpster fire that would be very hard to make even half way competitive even for Leach ...

2 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I think 1 1/2 years is too short of a time period to judge a head coach.  You have to weed out the prior coaches recruits, and bring in your players.  He hasn't had enough time.  I think coaches  need time to bring in their players to fit their system.  Arkansas simply thinks they're a national powerhouse, and they never have been.  The best season they've had in recent years is #5 in 2011, before that you have to go back to 1964 and 1965 when they finished #2 in the final polls, but did claim a National Championship along with Alabama in 1964.  They haven't ever won one outright.  They had some success in the 70's and 80's, but could only be ranked as high as #8 in 1981 finishing behind SMU. SMU's only loss that year was 9-7 to Texas, and I was at that game.  They brought their own demise and the demise of the old SWC when they left  in 1990.  They can keep suffering in the SEC for all I care .  They did it to themselves and the SWC which was one of the best conferences in the past.    

Morris was fired because he was getting embarrassed by teams like North Texas and Western Kentucky. 

Arkansas has more talent than those schools.

29 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Morris was fired because he was getting embarrassed by teams like North Texas and Western Kentucky. 

Arkansas has more talent than those schools.

As I said, he had to weed out the prior recruits, but the Arkansas Board of Regents was impatient.  Look what Sonny Dykes has done with SMU.  I know he brought in several players to build what Chad was building on, but many of the recruits he's working with were recruited by Chad.  I know the Razorbacks/Cardinals are hungry to be back in the mix, but c'mon you can't build Rome in a day.   Arkansas has never  been a powerhouse, but they like to think they are.  If you've been at a game with them vs. your team then you would know how rabid their fans are.  They're not as bad as Alabama fans, but pretty close.  

7 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Dude, no offense...and I know how it sounds when people say no offense --> what "big fish" is even going to take a call from Arkansas? Les Miles would be the only one possibly and sad to say...Kansas may be a better situation at this point than Arkansas because the Big 12 has a better shot at some point to win or build a winner than Arkansas in their side of the SEC.

Who else?

Art Briles (if you want to get after it), Mike Leach, Houston Nutt, Rick Neuheisel, Bobby Petrino

That’s why I said you’re going to have to give the guy a retirement package like Jimbo got.  $7-8million per year for several years.  If not I see Arkansas staying down a long time.  

3 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I can't see Leach leaving Washington State for Arkansas ... yes, Arkansas is in the SEC, but I think it would be a step down from where he is now ... and Arkansas is a dumpster fire that would be very hard to make even half way competitive even for Leach ...

Agreed. But Texas Tech was a dumpster fire and so was Washington state before he got there. The Man does seem to like a challenge. I still dont think he would do it, but you never know with the Pirate. 

14 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Washington St was one of the worst programs in the country before Leach took over....

3 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Washington St was one of the worst programs in the country before Leach took over....

Yes, but they weren't playing SEC level schools .... turning a bottom rung team in the Pac 12 around and turning a bottom rung SEC team around are two different animals ....

Some people may want to look at Leech's track record.  You will be paying him a lot of money to turn your awful team into an exciting 6-8 win team yearly.  He is not going to win you the SEC West etc...  what he will bring is exciting football and great PR and mid to lower tier bowl appearances.  

31 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Some people may want to look at Leech's track record.  You will be paying him a lot of money to turn your awful team into an exciting 6-8 win team yearly.  He is not going to win you the SEC West etc...  what he will bring is exciting football and great PR and mid to lower tier bowl appearances.  

Heck I would take that in a heartbeat. Paying San Jose st and Western Kentucky to beat you isn't a good place either. Expectations is the difference. 

3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

There’s 4 tiers in college football. Your championship contenders year in and year out. Your top 25 teams. Then you have your bowl teams. Then you have your bottom feeders. If your in the bottom tier that bowl tier looks pretty good. If Leach could get them to 6-8 wins consistently I think Arkansas fans would take it. 

If you don’t like what Morris did with the current talent, you’ll like what leach does with it less.  Morris uses balance and a ground game a lot more than Leach.  And if leach isn’t forced to hire a top notch DC, he’ll just try out scoring them anyway.  Arkansas needs to hire Bob Stoop or Les Miles.  Period.  If they hire Norvell or the likes.  They’ll be what Kansas was since running Fat #### off.  

3 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

Heck I would take that in a heartbeat. Paying San Jose st and Western Kentucky to beat you isn't a good place either. Expectations is the difference. 

Putting Square pegs in round holes is hard to do.  Arkansas has three losses by 7 or less, one by 14.  They’re within reach of being 5-4 right now.  Morris was competitive in those games with kids he didn’t recruit.  Firing him now was idiotic

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Putting Square pegs in round holes is hard to do.  Arkansas has three losses by 7 or less, one by 14.  They’re within reach of being 5-4 right now.  Morris was competitive in those games with kids he didn’t recruit.  Firing him now was idiotic

Agreed. I totally understand that Arkansas boosters and fans are apoplectic about how terrible the Hogs have been this year, but this is cutting off your face to spite your nose. 

The only possibly way this decision even makes a slight bit of sense is if the Arkie leadership already had a legit home run hire waiting in the wings...  

I seriously doubt this is the case. 

I could totally see that...

I really do not think it was the SEC game losses. Losing the games both last year and this year to the rink-a-dinks that you expect to feast on and you are writing a check to. That's disheartening to your players...eff's up your recruiting perspectives, because even though you aren't "good" yet and you may be a mild mannered coach, you have to talk a little trash to "get on the level" or "get on the side" of the recruits these days. No matter what, they want to be saying...that Coach Morris is a bad dude I want to play for him. Then you play Western Kentucky, Colorado State, or North Texas and get your ears cut off and girlfriend stolen too. 

it makes it tough to keep your D.J. hired on staff for "CLUB DUB"!!! 

13 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I could totally see that...

I really do not think it was the SEC game losses. Losing the games both last year and this year to the rink-a-dinks that you expect to feast on and you are writing a check to. That's disheartening to your players...eff's up your recruiting perspectives, because even though you aren't "good" yet and you may be a mild mannered coach, you have to talk a little trash to "get on the level" or "get on the side" of the recruits these days. No matter what, they want to be saying...that Coach Morris is a bad dude I want to play for him. Then you play Western Kentucky, Colorado State, or North Texas and get your ears cut off and girlfriend stolen too. 

it makes it tough to keep your D.J. hired on staff for "CLUB DUB"!!! 

Correct. And they looked really bad in doing it. Losing to UNT by as much as they did was bad... Giving up that punt return and such was worse. The fake punt pass from a few weeks ago was just downright ugly. It looked like they had no idea what they were doing or even trying to do. I think that was the issue more than anything. 

It's one thing to lose. It's another to look like players have no clue what is going on. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

There were more, that were just as bad but I can't find them right now. 

• LOL! 1
  • Sad 1