🔥 Arkansas fires Chad Morris

trueblue82

1 hour ago, TxFight said:

Read on the athletic that AD basically said he pulled the trigger because football players didn't seem to enjoy their saturday experience any more, and that they were no longer competitive after letting the Kentucky game get away from them. 

Let me translate this....The AD was told to fire him or they would find somebody that would fire both of them. lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Some people may want to look at Leech's track record.  You will be paying him a lot of money to turn your awful team into an exciting 6-8 win team yearly.  He is not going to win you the SEC West etc...  what he will bring is exciting football and great PR and mid to lower tier bowl appearances.  

That sounds like Arkansas even when they were at the top of their game.   Looking back over their history in the Razorbacks seasons with the SWC from 1915-1989 They one the Conference title 6 times outright and tied 5 times.  They were only undefeated once since that time in 1964.  2nd - 10 times , 3rd - 7 times, 4th - 8 times, 5th - 14 times 6th - 9 times 7th - 9 times.  They then move to the SEC they have won the West 3 1/2 times in 20 years. 1995 - Lost to Florida 34-3 1998 - L the tie breaker to Mississippi State 22-21 2002 - Lost to Georgia 30-3 and 2006 Lost to Florida 38-28.  In the SEC they have finished 2nd in the West  2 times, 3rd - 7 times, 4th - 2 times, 5th - 5 times, 6th -1 times, and 7th - 5 times.  

It's their M.O..  They've had great players in the past, but they were never a powerhouse has they think they are.  They are a third tier college football team with their history.  As anyone knows who has been to a game with Arkansas their fans are some of the loudest and proudest across America or they once were.  Go and visit 10 people in their homes that live in Arkansas and I would say 9-9.5 of those homes or businesses has some sort of Arkansas Razorback memorabilia there.  They are almost as bad as the Tide fans.  I know, because I have relatives in Arkansas.  The thinking of everyone in Arkansas is they should be playing for the National Championship every year in Football and Basketball.  I'm amazed they have only  been through 4 coaches since Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson.  Since 2002 when Nolan Richardson was dismissed for saying the Athletic Department was racist towards him and he was terminated they Razorbacks have been through 6 football coaches.  That should show anyone how important football is in Arkansas.  They want to win now.  I simply think they made a mistake with Coach Morris.  He needed a little more time, and they want to win now.  I think this will put the program even further behind the 8 ball especially when it comes to recruiting.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Some people may want to look at Leech's track record.  You will be paying him a lot of money to turn your awful team into an exciting 6-8 win team yearly.  He is not going to win you the SEC West etc...  what he will bring is exciting football and great PR and mid to lower tier bowl appearances.  

This just popped into my  head, but I doubt they would be able to hire him.  The only coach I think that could turn this team around is Urban Meyer, but he doesn't want any part of Little Nicky Saban. 

5 hours ago, Stoney said:

There’s 4 tiers in college football. Your championship contenders year in and year out. Your top 25 teams. Then you have your bowl teams. Then you have your bottom feeders. If your in the bottom tier that bowl tier looks pretty good. If Leach could get them to 6-8 wins consistently I think Arkansas fans would take it. 

You evidently don't know Razorback fans like I do.  That is not acceptable.  They want to be in a bowl game every year, ranked every year, and compete for a National Title that they think they deserve since their fictional one in 1964. 

• Like 3

I may be in the minority...but I really think Leach could work at Arkansas. If we are being realistic, the fact that they are in the SEC means that if they can find a way to be 7-8 wins a year they are going to be ranked at the end of the season more times than not. Especially if it's 8 and almost a definite if it is 9. With the SEC scheduling, Arkansas under Leach could all but guarantee themselves 4 wins a year in non-conference and then hone in on 2-3 wins a year in the SEC. Missouri being their permanent cross-division rival is very doable. The Mississippi schools being in the West is doable. 2-1 against those 3 and you could never beat Alabama, LSU, Auburn or A&M and still make it to a bowl every year. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

You evidently don't know Razorback fans like I do.  That is not acceptable.  They want to be in a bowl game every year, ranked every year, and compete for a National Title that they think they deserve since their fictional one in 1964. 

on XBOX, they are record breaking, championship contenders EVERY YEAR!!! of course so is Army and Navy...but TCU has won 5 championships in a row!!! 😲

20 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

It's their M.O..  They've had great players in the past, but they were never a powerhouse has they think they are.  They are a third tier college football team with their history.  As anyone knows who has been to a game with Arkansas their fans are some of the loudest and proudest across America or they once were.  Go and visit 10 people in their homes that live in Arkansas and I would say 9-9.5 of those homes or businesses has some sort of Arkansas Razorback memorabilia there.  They are almost as bad as the Tide fans.  I know, because I have relatives in Arkansas.  The thinking of everyone in Arkansas is they should be playing for the National Championship every year in Football and Basketball.  I'm amazed they have only  been through 4 coaches since Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson.  Since 2002 when Nolan Richardson was dismissed for saying the Athletic Department was racist towards him and he was terminated they Razorbacks have been through 6 football coaches.  That should show anyone how important football is in Arkansas.  They want to win now.  I simply think they made a mistake with Coach Morris.  He needed a little more time, and they want to win now.  I think this will put the program even further behind the 8 ball especially when it comes to recruiting.   

This post is extremely accurate. I had a roommate in college who's dad coached at Arkansas twice... Once in the late 90s and again from 06-07 when they had Darren McFadden and Felix Jones, doing a stint with the Cowboys in between. 

My roommate hated every minute of it. He said their fans were just the worst. There is no professional sports team in any league in the state, so Razorback football is it. For some reason, their fans thought they should be competing for titles every year despite having only talent from the state of Arkansas which isn't elite. They didn't get players from Texas the way they did in the 60s- all those players started going to OU and many others stayed in the state of Texas. They didn't appreciate Houston Nutt, fired him, and now they're begging to get him back. They did taste success with Bobby Petrino and Ryan Mallet and many fans want HIM back despite him flaming out at Louisville hard the 2nd time and despite his bad character issues. 

That said, there are definitely some A&M fans who think the same way- "Oh we have money and we're in Texas. We should automatically compete for titles every year." Just delusional. 

9 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

on XBOX, they are record breaking, championship contenders EVERY YEAR!!! of course so is Army and Navy...but TCU has won 5 championships in a row!!! 😲

When I used to play on my SNES  NCAA Football Game, I could barely get SMU to the Championship Game, and that was even when you could set your schedule against every top 1-5 team of 1993, 94, 95, and 96.  I would be 12-0 every season I played, and I could only win about 5 out of 10 National Championship Games.  True, I had to play in the Cotton Bowl every year back then, but nothing.   

4 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

This post is extremely accurate. I had a roommate in college who's dad coached at Arkansas twice... Once in the late 90s and again from 06-07 when they had Darren McFadden and Felix Jones, doing a stint with the Cowboys in between. 

My roommate hated every minute of it. He said their fans were just the worst. There is no professional sports team in any league in the state, so Razorback football is it. For some reason, their fans thought they should be competing for titles every year despite having only talent from the state of Arkansas which isn't elite. They didn't get players from Texas the way they did in the 60s- all those players started going to OU and many others stayed in the state of Texas. They didn't appreciate Houston Nutt, fired him, and now they're begging to get him back. They did taste success with Bobby Petrino and Ryan Mallet and many fans want HIM back despite him flaming out at Louisville hard the 2nd time and despite his bad character issues. 

That said, there are definitely some A&M fans who think the same way- "Oh we have money and we're in Texas. We should automatically compete for titles every year." Just delusional. 

I agree with you except the Razorbacks had some great talent from Texas even into the early 90's.  I can understand why Mallett transferred to Arkansas since it's close to his home town.  I agree with you about A&M fans, and they can still draw talent from Texas.  Kevin Sumlin had the Aggies in a bowl game every year, and they got rid of him.  If Jimbo Fisher doesn't have the Aggies in a National Championship game by his 5th year, they're going to pay to have him removed.  It's the same way with Texas too.  They were in a bowl game every year of Mack Brown's tenure there, except for 2010.  He was bringing revenue into the school by the truck load, and he became as Tom Landry had with the Cowboys from 1985-1989.  Landry could only rely on draft picks and not recruiting.  I see many similarities in it.  

2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Guys like Saban and Meyer have made people think it's easy to just hire a coach and win multiple championships they way Alabama, Florida, and Ohio State have. Other fans see that and have tried a lot to replicate it. Michigan with Harbaugh, A&M with Fisher..

Agreed. Even Dabo didn’t get things rolling in Clemson until year 4. 

On 11/13/2019 at 5:29 PM, DaveTV1 said:

That actually sounds like a couple more fanbase i can think of

Truthfully, I think the way it's set up right now...there are only 8 to 10 schools starting ANY season (the true blue bloods of college football) that can make the college football playoff anytime without being undefeated...everyone else might as well just look at whatever other bowl game they might qualify for...Baylor & Minnesota might as well be looking elsewhere now. The committee has already let it be known that they aren't letting you in. It's a rigged system...good old boy network...wink, wink

18 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Truthfully, I think the way it's set up right now...there are only 8 to 10 schools starting ANY season (the true blue bloods of college football) that can make the college football playoff anytime without being undefeated...everyone else might as well just look at whatever other bowl game they might qualify for...Baylor & Minnesota might as well be looking elsewhere now. The committee has already let it be known that they aren't letting you in. It's a rigged system...good old boy network...wink, wink

If Minnesota or Baylor Runs the table they will have beaten several ranked teams along the way and deserve to be in over a team that didn’t play in the sec Championship game, or the loser of it.  They’d deserve to be in over a 1 loss often enough champion too.  But we all know that 1 loss Bama will not get left out.  Even with not playing in their CCG 

18 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

If Minnesota or Baylor Runs the table they will have beaten several ranked teams along the way and deserve to be in over a team that didn’t play in the sec Championship game, or the loser of it.  They’d deserve to be in over a 1 loss often enough champion too.  But we all know that 1 loss Bama will not get left out.  Even with not playing in their CCG 

oh I think if you're undefeated you deserve to be in...I'm just saying I believe despite everything said...we are still living in a 4 team playoff system where people are choosing FAVORITES and in that, they are explaining it with different reasons for each team bizarrely...so on an equal manner...therefore, you could realize that they are truly coming in to this with a list of 6 to 12 teams of perceived FB blue blood powers (Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, Clemson, Georgia, Auburn, USC)...and even these are on a couple tiers, but they would be allowed in with ease with a good season anytime. Any other team in college FB will be raked over the coals and have to have a perfect season plus some (meaning these other teams really eff up multiple times). 

I would love to hear some opinions on this...I've believed this all season.  

6 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

oh I think if you're undefeated you deserve to be in...I'm just saying I believe despite everything said...we are still living in a 4 team playoff system where people are choosing FAVORITES and in that, they are explaining it with different reasons for each team bizarrely...so on an equal manner...therefore, you could realize that they are truly coming in to this with a list of 6 to 10 teams of perceived FB blue blood powers (Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, Clemson, Georgia, Auburn, USC)...and even these are on a couple tiers, but they would be allowed in with ease with a good season anytime. Any other team in college FB will be raked over the coals and have to have a perfect season plus some (meaning these other teams really eff up multiple times). 

I would love to hear some opinions on this...I've believed this all season.  

I think you are exactly right.  It’s not based squarely on current year results.  I think the criteria should be put forth for all seasons before they start. 
I personally would rather go back to the bcs after seeing how much human favoritism has played into it so far

And for groups like Texas A&M that are now investing a ton of $ and want to jump in whole heartedly (SEC & Jimbo)...realize this whole thing...you are not in those two groupings mentioned. it's going to take a perfect season...I'm not taking a shot at the Aggies. I'm just annoyed at the whole process. I would prefer the FBS to go to a 32 team playoff using the bowls as opening rounds or whatever the heck they needed to make them feel used and happy and fancy. This is totally rigged and BS. The other teams could still go to the other bowls...woo hoo. 

13 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

That actually sounds like a couple more fanbase i can think of

They are, and I'll say Razorback fan's aren't as rabid as Roll Tide fans.   I know Tennessee fans are loyal, but they just seem to take it as it comes.  Even in Georgia it's not as bad as Alabama.  I know Georgia Tech has more National Championships than the Bulldogs, but they're not venomous.  I do think it's more prevalent in states that don't have NFL teams.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

And for groups like Texas A&M that are now investing a ton of $ and want to jump in whole heartedly (SEC & Jimbo)...realize this whole thing...you are not in those two groupings mentioned. it's going to take a perfect season...I'm not taking a shot at the Aggies. I'm just annoyed at the whole process. I would prefer the FBS to go to a 32 team playoff using the bowls as opening rounds or whatever the heck they needed to make them feel used and happy and fancy. This is totally rigged and BS. The other teams could still go to the other bowls...woo hoo. 

I've always liked the 32 team playoff.  They try to fill up the spare bowls sometimes with teams that are "ineligible", but become so just to keep the bowl game.  Then those sorry bowls put maybe 14,000 people in the seats, and only a few even watch the game.  Make them meaningful, and it would bring in more money, viewers, and ticket buyers regardless if they are the loyal fan base or just the average joe that lives in those cities that love college football.   

think how rabid people are for the NCAA basketball tournament...the upsets...the Cinderella teams (there would definitely be teams like that in FB too - that had pulled it together 1/3 to 1/4 through the season, maybe even 1/2 way then are super dangerous). just to make a point last year, Texas wasn't ranked real high, BUT if I was one of those top teams I would not have wanted to play them because they could have "gone on a run" through a "tournament".

On 11/18/2019 at 9:03 AM, CoachPelvisPresley said:

think how rabid people are for the NCAA basketball tournament...the upsets...the Cinderella teams (there would definitely be teams like that in FB too - that had pulled it together 1/3 to 1/4 through the season, maybe even 1/2 way then are super dangerous). just to make a point last year, Texas wasn't ranked real high, BUT if I was one of those top teams I would not have wanted to play them because they could have "gone on a run" through a "tournament".

I want the best team to win not the “hot” team.

28 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I want the best team to win not the “hot” team.

the hot team may actually be the best team...if they have won the last 7 to 8 or more games of their regular season (thumping people) and then continue that drubbing teams through 4 to 5 weeks of playoff games...I'd say that was your nation's best team

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

the hot team may actually be the best team...if they have won the last 7 to 8 or more games of their regular season (thumping people) and then continue that drubbing teams through 4 to 5 weeks of playoff games...I'd say that was your nation's best team

The beginning of the season matters just as much as the end.