Astros Stealing Signs?

Stoney

How stupid.   Bang bang is a change up     Good Lord .   The hitter is standing there listening for a bang that may or may not come.  Does anybody realize how stupid that sounds

Also...…..the years Fiers has supposedly said they were "cheating" they played better on the road than at home.   I guess that wasn't mentioned either.

11 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

How stupid.   Bang bang is a change up     Good Lord .   The hitter is standing there listening for a bang that may or may not come.  Does anybody realize how stupid that sounds

Also...…..the years Fiers has supposedly said they were "cheating" they played better on the road than at home.   I guess that wasn't mentioned either.

Another point if the Astros was cheating they have to know that any player traded like Fiers will spill the beans, why take that chance, if they did do that they have to have some stupid people in their spy department. 

Old news. Don't care. Everyone steals signs. The article in The Athletic that blew this up talked about all teams doing this, and it being a league-wide problem, but the Astros are taking the brunt of this. 

Only thing I'm curious about is whether or not Fiers is so offended that he is willing to return his World Series Champions ring...

If u told me there were speakers in batters helmets I might raise an eyebrow.   When u are telling me we are banging on a pipe or whistling I’m amused.    Astros know they have the reputation and are using it to get in somebody’s head.     Next we will hear that Oakland’s outfield drummers have certain rhythms they play to alert batters 

You guys do realize the difference between stealing signs and using technology to steal signs, right? That's what they're accused of doing, not just stealing signs or spotting tipped pitches. Using technology is against the rules. 

As far as the bangs on the trash can go, there is definite evidence of them at home games in 2017 and 2019 of it happening. One bang for a curve/slider (depending on what the pitcher throws) and two for a changeup. There is TONS of evidence out there to the point that it's not a coincidence. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 1

21 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

If u told me there were speakers in batters helmets I might raise an eyebrow.   When u are telling me we are banging on a pipe or whistling I’m amused.    Astros know they have the reputation and are using it to get in somebody’s head.     Next we will hear that Oakland’s outfield drummers have certain rhythms they play to alert batters 

They just happen to bang when offspeed pitches are coming in order to get in another team's head? Okay. 

• Stinks 1

45 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

You guys do realize the difference between stealing signs and using technology to steal signs, right? That's what they're accused of doing, not just stealing signs or spotting tipped pitches. Using technology is against the rules. 

As far as the bangs on the trash can go, there is definite evidence of them at home games in 2017 and 2019 of it happening. One bang for a curve/slider (depending on what the pitcher throws) and two for a changeup. There is TONS of evidence out there to the point that it's not a coincidence. 

Well why in the hell didn't they at least do it in game 7 or any home game for that matter in this years World Series ?   That's where this whole rumor falls apart.  For the first time in the History of the World Series only the away team won every single game.  So did the Astros only use their technology in D.C. ????  This is what I don't get about Fiers, he has his only World Series ring with the Astros, and I think he's butt hurt, because he didn't pitch in a single game in the playoffs.  I can't blame the Astros for not using him, because he had the second worst year of his career in 2017.  His worst was his 3rd season with Milwaukee.  If he doesn't want his ring he should sell it or throw it away.  What he has done is lost a lot of fans of the Houston Astros.  He's not welcome back here.

The thing is, even if the Astros "were" stealing signs they still don't know where the location of the pitch will be.  I'd really like to see their stats at home for those years, and I know they can be found.  I forgot what player for the Rockies has great numbers at home, but on the road he's average at best.  So I know the information is out there.  The Astros did have the best home record in baseball last year just one game above the Dodgers with 60 wins and 21 losses.  In 2017 they were tied for 4th with three other teams for most wins who had the most home wins ?  The Los Angeles Dogers with 57 wins the Astros had 48 home wins.  We'll see what  happens.  

25 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Well why in the hell didn't they at least do it in game 7 or any home game for that matter in this years World Series ?   That's where this whole rumor falls apart.  For the first time in the History of the World Series only the away team won every single game.  So did the Astros only use their technology in D.C. ????  This is what I don't get about Fiers, he has his only World Series ring with the Astros, and I think he's butt hurt, because he didn't pitch in a single game in the playoffs.  I can't blame the Astros for not using him, because he had the second worst year of his career in 2017.  His worst was his 3rd season with Milwaukee.  If he doesn't want his ring he should sell it or throw it away.  What he has done is lost a lot of fans of the Houston Astros.  He's not welcome back here.

The thing is, even if the Astros "were" stealing signs they still don't know where the location of the pitch will be.  I'd really like to see their stats at home for those years, and I know they can be found.  I forgot what player for the Rockies has great numbers at home, but on the road he's average at best.  So I know the information is out there.  The Astros did have the best home record in baseball last year just one game above the Dodgers with 60 wins and 21 losses.  In 2017 they were tied for 4th with three other teams for most wins who had the most home wins ?  The Los Angeles Dogers with 57 wins the Astros had 48 home wins.  We'll see what  happens.  

First, the allegations were in the 2017 season, not the 2019 season. Fiers wasn't there in the 2019 season. That said, there was pretty clear evidence that it happened in 2019 too. 

Second, they didn't do well against the Nationals because the Nationals got wind of the cheating and constantly changed their signs up. I can't remember which player said it, but they came out and said that they changed their signs a lot.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/mlb/sign-stealing-in-the-world-series-the-nationals-had-a-plan-just-in-case/2019/11/13/f8bdce7a-0640-11ea-8292-c46ee8cb3dce_story.html

Third, the line about "even if they were stealing signs, they don't know where the pitch will be", that's irrelevant. They clearly and knowingly broke rules. You're right- that doesn't guarantee a hit or a win (as the Nationals proved), but it does give them an advantage and it IS against the rules. 

And since you asked, here are postseason numbers from a few guys that year:

Altuve:

Home- .472 BA/.513 OBP/1.028 SLG/1.541 OPS, 17H, 6HR, 12RBI

Away- .143 BA/.268 OBP/.229SLG/.497 OPS, 5H, 1HR, 2RBI

Correa:

Home- .371 BA/.421 OBP/.743 SLG/1.164 OPS, 13H, 3HR, 10RBI

Away- .211 BA/.231 OBP/.395 SLG/.626 OPS, 8H, 2HR, 4RBI

There are others that I don't feel like typing up right now, but something like 6 of the 9 guys have drastically different numbers  at home vs on the road.

Also consider that the Astros went from the WORST team in the league at making contact in 2016 to being the BEST team at making contact in 2017. And they went from the 3rd worst team at swings and misses to being the best. There weren't that many personnel changes, and they didn't get a new hitting coach, did they? Either way, that's quite a drastic change. 

38 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

The main offenses they bring up were in 2017.   The year we were better ON ROAD than at home.      An inconvenient truth 

1) Not during the postseason, they weren't better

2) Whether they were better or not doesn't excuse the cheating

3) There is evidence of similar cheating happening this season

Inconvenient truth? More like irrelevant truth. 

• Stinks 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Are you privy to the evidence, I haven't seen any I heard accusations but once you start winning a lot of people can't acept it so they come up with things that is ridiculous to the outrageous  

12 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

Are you privy to the evidence, I haven't seen any I heard accusations but once you start winning a lot of people can't acept it so they come up with things that is ridiculous to the outrageous  

I would wait until the truth comes out before I would start accusing people of not being able to accept them winning. Maybe they should’ve cheated this year in the World Series at their home games if they did they did not do a very good job of it

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ClawNAntler said:

I would wait until the truth comes out before I would start accusing people of not being able to accept them winning. Maybe they should’ve cheated this year in the World Series at their home games if they did they did not do a very good job of it

They was also accuse of scuffing the balls by Cleveland or one of Cleveland's pitchers no truth to that though

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ClawNAntler said:

I would rather lose the last game of the WS than not have been there at all. Houston played the last game of the season and they have done it three times now I am ready for the 4th time. Houston is good they don't need to cheat to win

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Another inconvenient truth for you...   How many years does it take for Fiers to grow a conscience  …...answer:    at least two   :lol::lol:

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

1 hour ago, Wild74 said:

I would rather lose the last game of the WS than not have been there at all. Houston played the last game of the season and they have done it three times now I am ready for the 4th time. Houston is good they don't need to cheat to win

I've been there, and losing  is the worst feeling, especially when you lose your best player.  

8 hours ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

How??? The world has become a technological world .....hide them better.....

Wow so is it ok to hide a camera in a girls locker room? Is that ok to do? Using technology to steal signs is cheating. I think you would have to question the Astros integrity if this turns out to be true

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 1