How Prevalent is the Triple Option in HS

YoungBuckCoach

1 hour ago, YoungBuckCoach said:

I know it's pretty rare in the bigger school classifications.  Is it more prevalent in the smaller classifications?

I would say definitely more in the lower classifications. I think the bigger the school gets the more shotgun spread you see. 

I know of 2 (5A) playoff teams and 1 (6A) playoff team off the top of my head. Burleson Centennial, 9-1 and Midlothian 7-3 are both triple O and same district. Centennial went 3 rounds last year not sure about Midlothian. Amarillo Tascosa 6-4in 6A and 4 rounds deep last year.

Several of the spread teams get in 2 back gun and run zone read option which is basically triple O. You still have to have a zone, QB and pitch player.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Purpleforever said:

A good way to get your quarterback killed. We were taught lineman has dive back, DE tackle the quarterback like he has the football every time and corner back has pitchman.

As flag happy as we are these days I wonder if that would end up in personal fouls?? On non-option plays I could see it getting called. Not a bad plan though. Make the trigger man hesitant and the offense struggles.

1 minute ago, YoungBuckCoach said:

As flag happy as we are these days I wonder if that would end up in personal fouls?? On non-option plays I could see it getting called. Not a bad plan though. Make the trigger man hesitant and the offense struggles.

You thought he had the ball, his deception worked.

51 minutes ago, YoungBuckCoach said:

Yeah i was thinking more the traditional veer/midline.  Seems the spread option is becoming pretty popular.  As offenses cycle through I'm curious to see if the flexbone makes somewhat of a "comeback" if you will and cycles through with popularity again.

The beer was where it was at man. Most powerful offense I ever seen ran the veer. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AKA said:

@LoboFan07 do you have the Tascosa game on YouTube? They're one of the few effective "true" triple-option teams I've seen playing big school ball. 

I have that game. I'll upload it when I get home. 

I know that Odessa Permian runs a weird variant of that flexbone formation.... Where the QB isn't under center- he's in the pistol with the FB behind him and wing backs to his sides. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I don’t sadly. Coaches stopped letting me have games a while back.

But I’m sure there’s several videos on Plunk and company on there.

Oh, my bad. I thought you had uploaded the broadcast of that game. I must be confusing you with someone else's upload.  👍

15 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I have that game. I'll upload it when I get home. 

I know that Odessa Permian runs a weird variant of that flexbone formation.... Where the QB isn't under center- he's in the pistol with the FB behind him and wing backs to his sides. 

That’s what Gunter does. Everything happens crazy fast

1 hour ago, YoungBuckCoach said:

Unless you remove the qb on first play.. Lol