Bonham is Open

dillonpanthers

Good question ... according to TF they lost 21 seniors, but had 22 lettermen returning ... IDK, but 43 lettermen for a school this size (enrollment 488) seems a lot.

Anyway and oddly, it also says they were returning 6 offensive and 8 defensive starters from an 8-3 club (most games in a season since 2005) ... must be a story in there somewhere.

With all those defensive starters returning they went from giving up 38 points a game last year to giving up 50+ points a game this year ... and offensively they scored 18 points a game this year with 6 starters coming back - last year they averaged scoring over 50 points a game.  Something strange had to happen ..

11 minutes ago, DOB said:

Good question ... according to TF they lost 21 seniors, but had 22 lettermen returning ... IDK, but 43 lettermen for a school this size (enrollment 488) seems a lot.

Anyway and oddly, it also says they were returning 6 offensive and 8 defensive starters from an 8-3 club (most games in a season since 2005) ... must be a story in there somewhere.

With all those defensive starters returning they went from giving up 38 points a game last year to giving up 50+ points a game this year ... and offensively they scored 18 points a game this year with 6 starters coming back - last year they averaged scoring over 50 points a game.  Something strange had to happen ..

That screams dumpster fire 

16 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

No idea on the drop off in talent or wins. But last time it was open  they split the AD and head coach role. Odd for a school that size. 

https://bhs.bonhamisd.org/152586_2

This seems to be becoming a trend.  Are small schools tired of the constant HC turnover causing constant AD turnover. I can see wanting some consistency throughout the entire athletic department.

43 minutes ago, YoungBuckCoach said:

This seems to be becoming a trend.  Are small schools tired of the constant HC turnover causing constant AD turnover. I can see wanting some consistency throughout the entire athletic department.

Consistency is good. But splitting it ensures mediocre candidates for just a HFC job 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungBuckCoach said:

Control...split it then whomever is the powerbroker has more control over the ad. I mean being an AD only is a nice job, would not want to screw that up

2 hours ago, YoungBuckCoach said:

Just check out Lone Oak...definitely hasn't worked out well there either and I personally don't think it ever will at smaller schools.

21 hours ago, DOB said:

I don't know, doesn't have to be anything strange. Presumably they lost whatever playmakers they had that made their offense tick and allowed them to win a bunch of shootouts last year. Now the offense is bad, the already terrible defense is stuck on the field getting gashed even more and the record craters. ie, they weren't actually very good last year (38 points per game? lol) but had just enough talent to paper over that fact.

32 minutes ago, flukeshot said:

I don't know, doesn't have to be anything strange. Presumably they lost whatever playmakers they had that made their offense tick and allowed them to win a bunch of shootouts last year. Now the offense is bad, the already terrible defense is stuck on the field getting gashed even more and the record craters. ie, they weren't actually very good last year (38 points per game? lol) but had just enough talent to paper over that fact.

One would think that if you score 50 a game that that would be enough ... but, of course, surrendering 38 per will eventually catch up to you.

In their three losses last year they gave up 78, 59, and 48 ... and even in three of their eight wins, they gave up 49, 44, and 42 ... I assume they had to replace most of the bulbs on their scoreboard after the season.

• 3 weeks later...

Bonham should be a good place to coach.  Tradition goes back at least 50-60 years and they used to have solid skill players along with some big lineman.  Hope they get back to their roots and get back to that Purple Warrior Tradition.  Tough schedule this year as well. 

• Confused 1