College Football Playoff Talk

PelvisPresley

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

A&M was ranked when Bama beat them. Im not making anything up. Im saying if we are going to count other teams ranked victories for what they were when the game is played, Bama will have 2 top 25 victories, not just 1 in auburn. 

You said “with any other schedule...”. They don’t play any other. They play the one they have. 

51 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

You said “with any other schedule...”. They don’t play any other. They play the one they have. 

Are you illiterate? I clearly stated A&M was a top 25 win for Bama, then stated “before you ball at that, with any other schedule...” As in the win still counts in the committees eyes even if A&M isn’t ranked now. 

Now quit being obsessed with me and A&M, go back to your local high school and complete your glory days as the 11th grade JV captain, and quit trying to find reasons to pick apart my post that don’t apply to you. Thanks pumpkin. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Are you illiterate? I clearly stated A&M was a top 25 win for Bama, then stated “before you ball at that, with any other schedule...” As in the win still counts in the committees eyes even if A&M isn’t ranked now. 

Now quit being obsessed with me and A&M, go back to your local high school and complete your glory days as the 11th grade JV captain, and quit trying to find reasons to pick apart my post that don’t apply to you. Thanks pumpkin. 

Maybe I misunderstood you but it sounded like you were saying that if aTm played anybody’ s schedule but their own they’d be top 25.  

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more uneducated or crybaby approach to selecting the playoff than what you’re doing right now. Anyone with a brain can watch Alabama play and tell you they would probably beat nearly every team in your top 10 except the top 3. You claim sec bias but that’s not it. They just are a good team. Your sec bias is the problem, not everyone else’s.

Then do it on the field, and not in someone's head. That is what would make a difference.  Simply because you think that a team is better doesn't make them so proving it on the gridiron does.  Let the last victor stand, the way it is now, allows for just a select few to be invited to the show.  Could they show it through thick and thin ?  I know, injuries, that's a part of life.  They happen.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  

3 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

Then do it on the field, and not in someone's head. That is what would make a difference.  Simply because you think that a team is better doesn't make them so proving it on the gridiron does.  Let the last victor stand, the way it is now, allows for just a select few to be invited to the show.  Could they show it through thick and thin ?  I know, injuries, that's a part of life.  They happen.  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  

They spend the whole season finding out who’s better. 

Im telling you, what makes college so much better than the nfl is the lose one game I’m probably out mentality. The minute you start letting every conference champ in is the day non conference games do not matter anymore. Imagine how much it would #### to see LSU vs Texas and know it literally has zero effect on the playoff race because a team can lose every non conference game and still make the playoff. 

I still think it’s a mistake expanding the field. I can see the argument for 8, but anything more just waters the regular season down. In no other sport in the world does every game matter the way college football does. I want to keep it that way. I don’t think changing things changes the outcome of who the champion will be 90% of the tine. But it would change how fun/interesting the season is. 

12 hours ago, WETSU said:

You are going off of wins and losses and resumes and “deserving” in the argument you’re making against Bama. I don’t completely agree, but if both teams win out, I’m okay with ou getting in over Bama. But I’m not and the committee doesn’t just go off resumes. Take the resumes out of the equation. Gun to your head you have to pick the winner correctly or you die. Do you think OU is a better team than Alabama. Would ou beat Alabama if they played? I personally do not think so. I don’t think you think so. And what I’m saying is that I do not believe that Ou has a strong enough resume to make up for the fact that I think Bama is strong a favorite on a neutral field. That’s the challenge of being the committee and that’s why the parameters keep changing. It’s not bias towards a team or conference. It’s trying to get the best combination of the best 4 and the most deserving 4 on a year to year basis. What happens one year may not happen the next. 

That gun to your head forces one to think about past history as much as this current season.  Playoffs shouldn’t be decided on historic differences.  They should be picked on this year only. 

• Like 1

As long as the playoffs only consists of 4 teams no team should be considered unless you win your conference. 

Everyone wants to talk about Alabama and  whether they could beat this team or that team. I know when they had their chance to beat LSU at home they couldn’t get it done. If LSU wins the SEC then Bama shouldn’t get in. I don’t care that Bama may be the 2nd best team in the country, we don’t play the playoffs to decide who is number 2. We’re looking for the best team and they only allow 4 teams in, so I don’t need to see LSU vs Bama 2.0. 

The only teams I would consider for a 4 team playoff would be P5 conference champions. Now if you extend the playoffs to 8 or more teams then we can talk about non-conference champions getting in. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

As long as the playoffs only consists of 4 teams no team should be considered unless you win your conference. 

Everyone wants to talk about Alabama and  whether they could beat this team or that team. I know when they had their chance to beat LSU at home they couldn’t get it done. If LSU wins the SEC then Bama shouldn’t get in. I don’t care that Bama may be the 2nd best team in the country, we don’t play the playoffs to decide who is number 2. We’re looking for the best team and they only allow 4 teams in, so I don’t need to see LSU vs Bama 2.0. 

The only teams I would consider for a 4 team playoff would be P5 conference champions. Now if you extend the playoffs to 8 or more teams then we can talk about non-conference champions getting in. 

You say Bama should have just beaten LSU and they would be in, but the same argument would go to ou if they win out and Bama wins out and the committee chose Bama. If ou has just beat KSU, there would be no debate. 

I understand your logic, but then let’s change the thinking on the playoffs. Let’s just call it the conference champion bowls and take the highest 4 ranking P5 champs, regardless of record or eyeball test or other metrics, and pair them against each other. No need to call it the 4 best or most deserving teams. Just call it the P5 champion tournament. 

• Like 1

The fallacy in that logic is that the season has to matter. Why even play the season if what happens in it does not effect teams equally.

Is Alabama one of the four most “talented” teams sure, are they one of the “best” four teams? I think there is case against them.

Because I’m not really sure what Alabama could do from this point that they “deserve” it.

If they win out and make it then they will have played the least amount of P5 teams of any of the four, and they will really just have a victory against Auburn.

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The fallacy in that logic is that the season has to matter. Why even play the season if what happens in it does not effect teams equally.

Is Alabama one of the four most “talented” teams sure, are they one of the “best” four teams? I think there is case against them.

The only case against them not being one of the 4 best teams is schedule. Losing close to everyone’s clear cut number 1 team is not a season ender. And they have looked elite in every other game but that one and arguably the Tennessee game, but that’s a rivalry and lots of teams look different in those games. 

If this is just picking 4 best teams, I would like to know your argument on which 4 teams are better and why. I know there’s room for interpretation with them having the loss, but they still check lots of boxes if you’re truly trying to pick the 4 best teams and not the 4 most deserving teams. There is a huge difference in those two things. 

The question is, if we limited the playoffs to conference champs only and it stays at 4 teams, would that help or hurt scheduling of good nonconference games. You could theoretically be a team that wins your conference but had a loss or two to decent opponents in nonconference and that causes you to be lower ranked than a conference champ with a weak OOC schedule. 

26 minutes ago, WETSU said:

The question is, if we limited the playoffs to conference champs only and it stays at 4 teams, would that help or hurt scheduling of good nonconference games. You could theoretically be a team that wins your conference but had a loss or two to decent opponents in nonconference and that causes you to be lower ranked than a conference champ with a weak OOC schedule. 

Well obviously scheduling patsies for oOC doesn’t hurt you now.  

22 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Well obviously scheduling patsies for oOC doesn’t hurt you now.  

Sure it does. That’s the reason why Bama is even being talked about right now. Anyone with a reasonable football IQ can see how good and how dangerous this Bama team is. But the casual fan who probably doesn’t even watch them play just says “they haven’t played anyone OOC” and I think if they finish 11-1 and a team like OU or Oregon finishes 11-1 with a conference title, Bama is left out. Had Bama played a marquee OOC game, I’m not sure that’s the case. So it does have an effect to an extent. 

What i dont agree with us everyone hating on bamas schedule, and acting like Oregon or ou are much more deserving. Oregon’s only legitimate top opponent this far has been auburn and they lost. The rest of the schedule has been as bad or worse than Bamas. Ou didn’t play anybody noteworthy OOC either and truthfully their best win to date is either a overrated Texas team or a unranked Iowa st. So neither of these two teams have done anything to me to set themselves apart from Bama, they just are lucky enough to not have LSU in their conference. That’s really the only thing they have done that’s better than Bama at this point. 

I dont even care if bama makes the playoffs. I actually want to see them start a decline. But I think it’s just silly you guys don’t think they are one of the 4 best teams in America. 

34 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Well let's face it, @WETSU has better facts than anyone in this conversation. I'm still rolling over elvis's rankings. Minn over Georgia and Bama 😂😂😂😂

You like his facts because you like his opinion lol.

The real question now is Alabama a top 4 team without Tua this year?

41 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

You like his facts because you like his opinion lol.

The real question now is Alabama a top 4 team without Tua this year?

Today’s injury changes things I for sure admit. But I was only talking about what’s happened up until today’s games. Bama without Tua certainly doesn’t make the playoff imo. 

9 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

That gun to your head forces one to think about past history as much as this current season.  Playoffs shouldn’t be decided on historic differences.  They should be picked on this year only. 

I had to +1 this statement.  Too many times, teams are picked based on their pedigree and not on what they have accomplished.  I think Bama (before Tua's newest injury) was the 4th or 5th best team in the nation.  However, as of right now, their best win is Texas A&M... the only games they have left are FCS Western Carolina and Auburn who may lose again to Georgia today...  I wouldn't put them in over any of the top 10 teams right now...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Today’s injury changes things I for sure admit. But I was only talking about what’s happened up until today’s games. Bama without Tua certainly doesn’t make the playoff imo. 

Why? Ohio State got in with a 3rd team QB that only played one game prior to the playoff. 

On 11/15/2019 at 3:42 PM, CoachPelvisPresley said:

for this project, I'd do it as:

1 to 10: E, B, D, C, A, G, J, F, I, H

and that would have been as good as anything...

Ohio State, LSU, Clemson, Baylor, Minnesota, Oregon, Penn State, Oklahoma, Utah, Georgia