AD Separate From Football at Small Schools

nationalpastime

3 minutes ago, nationalpastime said:

Instead of asking the question on another thread, how many small schools are successful in football with an AD separate from football?  I know there's got to be a few.

Also, are there other sports that are blossoming from the AD/HFC split?

I think it could work because some guys just want to coach football but, the best I think would want the money to do both. Queen City thought about do that last year but I don't know if they did or not. I know at one time they had the jobs split. 

As I said on the other thread, in almost 30 years of working in public education and coaching all sports I have never seen splitting the job duties (at small schools) be beneficial. In fact I have seen several programs be destroyed because of it.  A good AD/head coach works diligently to improve ALL the programs because HE is responsible for ALL the programs. If he is NOT responsible for all the programs, HIS program will be his only priority. When you have four or five different head coaches wanting what they believe to be best for THEIR particular program you  have conflict...whether it is concerning weight lifting programs or off season workouts, there will be disagreements about what is best. When one person is responsible for ALL the programs HE is also responsible for the off season/lifting programs that will be beneficial for ALL the athletes and they will do what is best for all sports. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

New Diana has a split AD and Head FC. The head baseball coach is the AD. Been that way for two years now. 

Of course, everybody knows/thinks of ND as a baseball school. But the football program has had some "success" in the last few years. 

7 hours ago, TTman7 said:

New Diana has a split AD and Head FC. The head baseball coach is the AD. Been that way for two years now. 

Of course, everybody knows/thinks of ND as a baseball school. But the football program has had some "success" in the last few years. 

I remember football having success one Season and the Coach left. I've never thought of ND as a baseball school. Dont think this setup is good for the football program. 

On 11/16/2019 at 9:14 AM, intheknow said:

So you agree if the AD/head coach works diligently to improve all the programs, this person does not necessarily need to be the HFC?

The HFC at Brock is not the AD and their sports program is as well rounded on the boys and girls side as any small school you will find.   However, the AD at Brock is also not the head coach of any sport which helps to create an equal opportunity for success for all programs.  I'm sure many will see Brock as the exception and come up with reasons/excuses why their model would not work at other 4A or below schools but it is hard to argue with their consistent success across the board in boys and girls athletics.

I know you pointed to it in your post, but Brock dominates in just about anything they do; not just athletics.  I know in the UIL Academics they usually have kids competing at the state level each year.

29 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

To me, the issue is money. Most districts can't pay a head football coach what they should/want to be paid and pay an AD also. It cuts down on the quality of candidates. Like someone else said, a head coaching only position in a smaller district will draw lots of first year applicants

Bingo!!!