Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nationalpastime

AD Separate From Football at Small Schools

Recommended Posts

Instead of asking the question on another thread, how many small schools are successful in football with an AD separate from football?  I know there's got to be a few.

Also, are there other sports that are blossoming from the AD/HFC split?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nationalpastime said:

Instead of asking the question on another thread, how many small schools are successful in football with an AD separate from football?  I know there's got to be a few.

Also, are there other sports that are blossoming from the AD/HFC split?

I think it could work because some guys just want to coach football but, the best I think would want the money to do both. Queen City thought about do that last year but I don't know if they did or not. I know at one time they had the jobs split. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said on the other thread, in almost 30 years of working in public education and coaching all sports I have never seen splitting the job duties (at small schools) be beneficial. In fact I have seen several programs be destroyed because of it.  A good AD/head coach works diligently to improve ALL the programs because HE is responsible for ALL the programs. If he is NOT responsible for all the programs, HIS program will be his only priority. When you have four or five different head coaches wanting what they believe to be best for THEIR particular program you  have conflict...whether it is concerning weight lifting programs or off season workouts, there will be disagreements about what is best. When one person is responsible for ALL the programs HE is also responsible for the off season/lifting programs that will be beneficial for ALL the athletes and they will do what is best for all sports. Just my two cents.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be interested to see if their is an influx of young or 1st time HFC's at these schools.  Seems like the most likely candidates for this situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Diana has a split AD and Head FC. The head baseball coach is the AD. Been that way for two years now. 

Of course, everybody knows/thinks of ND as a baseball school. But the football program has had some "success" in the last few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TTman7 said:

New Diana has a split AD and Head FC. The head baseball coach is the AD. Been that way for two years now. 

Of course, everybody knows/thinks of ND as a baseball school. But the football program has had some "success" in the last few years. 

I remember football having success one Season and the Coach left. I've never thought of ND as a baseball school. Dont think this setup is good for the football program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, blesseddaily said:

As I said on the other thread, in almost 30 years of working in public education and coaching all sports I have never seen splitting the job duties (at small schools) be beneficial. In fact I have seen several programs be destroyed because of it.  A good AD/head coach works diligently to improve ALL the programs because HE is responsible for ALL the programs. If he is NOT responsible for all the programs, HIS program will be his only priority. When you have four or five different head coaches wanting what they believe to be best for THEIR particular program you  have conflict...whether it is concerning weight lifting programs or off season workouts, there will be disagreements about what is best. When one person is responsible for ALL the programs HE is also responsible for the off season/lifting programs that will be beneficial for ALL the athletes and they will do what is best for all sports. Just my two cents.

 

So you agree if the AD/head coach works diligently to improve all the programs, this person does not necessarily need to be the HFC?

 

The HFC at Brock is not the AD and their sports program is as well rounded on the boys and girls side as any small school you will find.   However, the AD at Brock is also not the head coach of any sport which helps to create an equal opportunity for success for all programs.  I'm sure many will see Brock as the exception and come up with reasons/excuses why their model would not work at other 4A or below schools but it is hard to argue with their consistent success across the board in boys and girls athletics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 9:14 AM, intheknow said:

 

So you agree if the AD/head coach works diligently to improve all the programs, this person does not necessarily need to be the HFC?

 

The HFC at Brock is not the AD and their sports program is as well rounded on the boys and girls side as any small school you will find.   However, the AD at Brock is also not the head coach of any sport which helps to create an equal opportunity for success for all programs.  I'm sure many will see Brock as the exception and come up with reasons/excuses why their model would not work at other 4A or below schools but it is hard to argue with their consistent success across the board in boys and girls athletics.

I know you pointed to it in your post, but Brock dominates in just about anything they do; not just athletics.  I know in the UIL Academics they usually have kids competing at the state level each year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, the issue is money. Most districts can't pay a head football coach what they should/want to be paid and pay an AD also. It cuts down on the quality of candidates. Like someone else said, a head coaching only position in a smaller district will draw lots of first year applicants

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

To me, the issue is money. Most districts can't pay a head football coach what they should/want to be paid and pay an AD also. It cuts down on the quality of candidates. Like someone else said, a head coaching only position in a smaller district will draw lots of first year applicants

Bingo!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

To me, the issue is money. Most districts can't pay a head football coach what they should/want to be paid and pay an AD also. It cuts down on the quality of candidates. Like someone else said, a head coaching only position in a smaller district will draw lots of first year applicants

 

I agree that a separate AD only in a smaller school is not feasible financially for the school.  However, a combination such as AD/Asst. Supt could be a possibility.  Obviously, if your school and community are mainly concerned with the success of the football program, the AD will always be the HFC.  Nothing wrong with this but this often cuts down on the quality of candidates for the other head coaching positions if these sports don't get (in their eyes) a fair chance at success.  

 

Particularly in East Texas, I think most communities are fine with the AD/HFC combination and many times this works for all.  I think more than anything else it comes down to the character and leadership of the AD and not the sport this person is the head coach of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...