2A D1 AREA PLAYOFF: #8 Alto Yellowjackets (11-0) vs. Joaquin Rams (9-2) @ 7:30 p.m. Lufkin’s Abe Martin Stadium - Friday 11/22/19

StingEmALTO

Alto vs. Joaquin  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who advances?

• Alto
    • Joaquin

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/23/2019 at 01:30 AM

19 minutes ago, EdgarAllenPwn said:

What of offense does Alto run? Who are the key players on the team? Are they more hard nosed or finesse. Haven’t seen the Jackets play in a few years 

We do a little of everything. We have two good backs, and run down hill with them. The Qb play has been really good this year, throw the ball up to 15 times a game. We have some fast edge guys that can actually catch, a change from years past. The offensive line is strong on the right side of the ball, but the other side can hold its own. We do still have our #1 receiver and punt returner out with a broke arm, still has a long cast on. We haven’t had to use #2 High as much this year, but as of late he is starting to roll, my personal opinion is he is a D1 talent. We aren’t over sized up front like SA, but have good size. We run the spread some, and then you look up and we are in the power eye, so we do have some diversity to the offense.

9 hours ago, jacketgrad06 said:

A little off topic but:

It is crazy to me to see Alto and Band mention as an advantage. I love that we have a great band but it is so difficult sometimes thinking of Alto as a band school. I know times change but 10+ years ago you wouldn’t have even thought Alto had a band since the early 90’s. Lol. I mean my senior year there may have been 30 kids in the band and TBH they weren’t very good. 

I love watching the halftime show now and if you are like why go look them up on YouTube. 

Longtime Alto fans can agree with this 💯%. We have had some good bands through the years; we have had terrible bands, too (in the 96 season they did not not play the National Anthem because it was.....well, it wasn’t good. That was around the rock bottom year when they did not march at all. 😬) In the meantime there were some good directors (Jason Turrentine now at Groveton stands out) that did a good job.

Fast forward to 2012 when Thomas Williams came and began turning the program around. He changed the style similar to what it is today and got kids excited about band again. When Timothy Ektefaei came aboard in 2014 he took it to a whole other level! Mr. E started with 35 members and in a mere 3 years hit 100 members in 2017 and has sustained that. Unbelievable for a school our size. This man. Just goes to show you what leadership means in any program.

I have always been of the opinion that our school could have it all, and with the leadership we have from the school board to the supt to the principals to the athletic director to the band director to the head coaches of each sport, we have IT. Quality teachers and staff with a heart for kids and unmatched perseverance to get through difficult times (i.e. 2 tornadoes and a hail storm!!) and I would say it is a great day to be a Jacket! Great day indeed.🐝💪

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Longtime Alto fans can agree with this 💯%. We have had some good bands through the years; we have had terrible bands, too (in the 96 season they did not not play the National Anthem because it was.....well, it wasn’t good. That was around the rock bottom year when they did not march at all. 😬) In the meantime there were some good directors (Jason Turrentine now at Groveton stands out) that did a good job.

Fast forward to 2012 when Thomas Williams came and began turning the program around. He changed the style similar to what it is today and got kids excited about band again. When Timothy Ektefaei came aboard in 2014 he took it to a whole other level! Mr. E started with 35 members and in a mere 3 years hit 100 members in 2017 and has sustained that. Unbelievable for a school our size. This man. Just goes to show you what leadership means in any program.

I have always been of the opinion that our school could have it all, and with the leadership we have from the school board to the supt to the principals to the athletic director to the band director to the head coaches of each sport, we have IT. Quality teachers and staff with a heart for kids and unmatched perseverance to get through difficult times (i.e. 2 tornadoes and a hail storm!!) and I would say it is a great day to be a Jacket! Great day indeed.🐝💪

I will say that I have been pulling for Alto all year, and will continue to do so if they beat my rams this week . I know you guys have had a tough year and it does the soul good to see kids have success in the odds of the events they were presented with this year . Joe had some pretty significant river flooding a few years ago and understand the strain it can put on a community.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, StingEmALTO said:

Which bands on Joaquin’s schedule are the “several that are bigger and louder?” Curious. 

Ore City. Shelbyville band was somewhat down this year, but they have a great tradition and great sound. Timpson has been about the best in East Texas for the last 3-4 years. 

19 minutes ago, yourteamstinks said:

I will say that I have been pulling for Alto all year, and will continue to do so if they beat my rams this week . I know you guys have had a tough year and it does the soul good to see kids have success in the odds of the events they were presented with this year . Joe had some pretty significant river flooding a few years ago and understand the strain it can put on a community.   

Man, I appreciate that. It has been a year unlike any other our school has faced. The outpouring of love and support from other schools and communities has been phenomenal. Our community has pulled together like it always has throughout our history and tried to put our best foot forward. It is hard to see kids having to travel from portable to portable and across the campus to the ag barn and band hall, field house, cafeteria etc on cold, wet days like we have had of late. I am proud the kids and staff have persevered and are experiencing the level of success that we have attained this school year. Every last one of them have had to make sacrifices, but they press on. 

Thanks for your kind words.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Ore City. Shelbyville band was somewhat down this year, but they have a great tradition and great sound. Timpson has been about the best in East Texas for the last 3-4 years. 

Great bands but I don’t see any of the three you named as being louder (maybe bigger? I know Timpson wasn’t. Didn’t see the other two this year). 😂 Just sayin’!

• LOL! 1

36 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Great bands but I don’t see any of the three you named as being louder (maybe bigger? I know Timpson wasn’t. Didn’t see the other two this year). 😂 Just sayin’!

No band was better than beckville when they had Ashcraft

• LOL! 1

3 hours ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

Well, we are trying to get there. There’s only one way to find out how we stack up to the Region III favorite. Game at a time. Is there any other Region III team that you feel Alto cannot handle other than SA? Just curious. 

Region 3 is fairly weak . And I strongly dislike groveton .. so the only team from region 3 I believe is actually up to the hype is SA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

Region 3 is fairly weak . And I strongly dislike groveton .. so the only team from region 3 I believe is actually up to the hype is SA

When you say you “strongly dislike Groveton”, and Alto are “has beens” (though this year’s record and stats suggest otherwise), “Joaquin’s a cupcake”... you do realize that you’re talking about a bunch of high school kids, right? 15-18 year olds.  You’d be ashamed to tell them that you are from Alto, and that you root for that team, yet you somehow always avoid telling everyone which town you’re from and what team you root for each Friday night (besides your state hospital cracks). Anyone who truly feels that way about a group of kids, is fundamentally flawed, and their opinion is irrelevant anyway.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JACKETLIFE said:

@Gilbertget a pair and let everyone know where you from, who you played for and what team your for! 

He went to Funston High... Over on HWY 5 right out side of Logansport there’s a road that that turns to the right turn down there and follow it! Can’t miss it! 

3 hours ago, BleedBlackGoldandWhite said:

When you say you “strongly dislike Groveton”, and Alto are “has beens” (though this year’s record and stats suggest otherwise), “Joaquin’s a cupcake”... you do realize that you’re talking about a bunch of high school kids, right? 15-18 year olds.  You’d be ashamed to tell them that you are from Alto, and that you root for that team, yet you somehow always avoid telling everyone which town you’re from and what team you root for each Friday night (besides your state hospital cracks). Anyone who truly feels that way about a group of kids, is fundamentally flawed, and their opinion is irrelevant anyway.  

I agree...Gilbert you are a person I would never want to meet or be acquainted with...You have taken this forum beyond "trash talk" to just mean and hateful rhetoric, and we are talking about kids for God sakes...You act as if you hate a whole town, but i'll let you in on a few things...Many times over the years Alto has come together as a FAMILY to overcome certain things I was just reminded as recently as this year how much the Alto family bond meant,, and as for the Alto yellowjackets our fans, including me, would still be there supporting the boys if they were 0-10, because that is the type of people we are...We support our boys in big numbers WIN or LOSE only a few schools of this size can say that....and we may have decisions made in regards to the program not everyone likes or appreciates at the time,, but it is always done for the sake of the kiddos that Alto is trying to mold into fine young men.....and if you knew anything you would see the great success of many of the students that walk out that door ....to the ones who go down the wrong path we grieve over, and pray they will get back on the right path, because that is what a FAMILY does.....There is so much more to Alto than you will EVER know, because you are nothing but an ignorant internet BULLY hiding behind a FAKE name!!!!  You obviously have something very wrong with you Gilbert, and I would suggest you get it attended to, because it don't look good on you or anyone for that matter. And by the way GO JACKETS!!!! Win or lose I will always be a JACKET FAN!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BleedBlackGoldandWhite said:

Aw here we go with this again . Every one else on gods green earth says the same things I do . And why does it matter where I am from . Texas is a big state full of football

5 hours ago, GOALTOJACKETS said:

I agree...Gilbert you are a person I would never want to meet or be acquainted with...You have taken this forum beyond "trash talk" to just mean and hateful rhetoric, and we are talking about kids for God sakes...You act as if you hate a whole town, but i'll let you in on a few things...Many times over the years Alto has come together as a FAMILY to overcome certain things I was just reminded as recently as this year how much the Alto family bond meant,, and as for the Alto yellowjackets our fans, including me, would still be there supporting the boys if they were 0-10, because that is the type of people we are...We support our boys in big numbers WIN or LOSE only a few schools of this size can say that....and we may have decisions made in regards to the program not everyone likes or appreciates at the time,, but it is always done for the sake of the kiddos that Alto is trying to mold into fine young men.....and if you knew anything you would see the great success of many of the students that walk out that door ....to the ones who go down the wrong path we grieve over, and pray they will get back on the right path, because that is what a FAMILY does.....There is so much more to Alto than you will EVER know, because you are nothing but an ignorant internet BULLY hiding behind a FAKE name!!!!  You obviously have something very wrong with you Gilbert, and I would suggest you get it attended to, because it don't look good on you or anyone for that matter. And by the way GO JACKETS!!!! Win or lose I will always be a JACKET FAN!!!

And I agree you probably wouldn’t wanna meet or be acquainted with me either . I come out and say region 3 is week which I mean clearly the only favorite is SA . Every one gets in there feelings . I just don’t think alto are as good as they once was . I think the teams they have played have been low level competition . Judging by the teams records I’m not wrong . I’ve never been a fan of groveton . Just not an east Texas team I’m gonna root for . Joaquin could have put it all together and had a 10-0 year no doubt. But for some reason they always allow upsets . And I am from reklaw now and originally from patroon

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

And I agree you probably wouldn’t wanna meet or be acquainted with me either . I come out and say region 3 is week which I mean clearly the only favorite is SA . Every one gets in there feelings . I just don’t think alto are as good as they once was . I think the teams they have played have been low level competition . Judging by the teams records I’m not wrong . I’ve never been a fan of groveton . Just not an east Texas team I’m gonna root for . Joaquin could have put it all together and had a 10-0 year no doubt. But for some reason they always allow upsets . And I am from reklaw now and originally from patroon

That’s fair, I get it.  I have my favorites too. (Though typically I can admit when a team that I’m not particularly crazy about is doing well again, even though I might be secretly disgusted. Ha!) I really don’t think it’s what you say, Gilbert, so much as how you say it. There are a lot of people on here that are admittedly not fans of Alto.  Like one has pointed out before, it’s nice to finally get in a few punches on a team that beat everyone up for years.  You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but as far as backing that opinion up with stats, or this season’s record...well, that’s all you’ve got.  An opinion.  Alto’s record this year and San Augustine’s don’t look too terribly differently. They just don’t.  Whether you think we’re as good as we used to be or not...this team is undefeated.  And they’ve earned that.  I hope they get to play San Augustine, because that means they’ve advanced a couple more weeks.  And that’s something to be proud of.  As far as hanging with the Mighty Wolves,  well, that remains to be seen.  Any given Friday night....you have a nice day, sir.