2A D1 AREA PLAYOFF: #8 Alto Yellowjackets (11-0) vs. Joaquin Rams (9-2) @ 7:30 p.m. Lufkin’s Abe Martin Stadium - Friday 11/22/19

StingEmALTO

Alto vs. Joaquin  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who advances?

• Alto
    • Joaquin

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/23/2019 at 01:30 AM

10 minutes ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

If y’all had a little more heart then y’all might could compete with a squad of our girls. But everybody knows the Mams ain’t bout that life this Friday night. Tell them seniors to soak in this final ride. 

Our slot t is a little bit better than Union Grove..... how y’all gonna let them drive the field and score on ya?

I will say this for the last decade or so Alto has had some issues with hard nosed slot teams. Alto does not like being on defense very long. This year they don't seem to have been on defense much of the season either. If Joe owns the trenches and can prove to sustain drives and punch it in I'll give Joe a shot. How does the Trench battle seem to shape up. Joe's favor or Alto's?

2 hours ago, Reddog92 said:

I will say this for the last decade or so Alto has had some issues with hard nosed slot teams. Alto does not like being on defense very long. This year they don't seem to have been on defense much of the season either. If Joe owns the trenches and can prove to sustain drives and punch it in I'll give Joe a shot. How does the Trench battle seem to shape up. Joe's favor or Alto's?

Based on film, I like the matchup, particularly if we get our big lineman back. But we have to be able to get upfield and get a body on the ILBs. Those kids are as good as we’ve seen. 

The thing that does worry me in this game is that Alto hasn’t had a competitive game since Carlisle really. I know the coach’s will have them coached up but I hope they aren’t coming in a little flat. Even coming in and playing hot from the get go this could be a good game. Joaquin looks to be one of the more physical if not the most physical team that Alto has played to date. 

Alto’s schedule wasn’t as tough, as Gilbert has mentioned, but I do think there is a win everyone just glossed over lately.  New Diana - Alto dominates that game and they were a playoff team in their district and up into the last week could have even been the two seed. They also put up a solid performance against Newton this last week. 

If both teams come out and play ball as they should and Joaquin puts together a complete game this will be a barn burner. Alto will HAVE to limit the turnovers. That has been a thorn in their side for the last couple years and even early on this year. If Alto keeps the mistakes down I see this as a 7-10 pt game for them but if they make a couple mistakes Joaquin could easily take this one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BlueBlood99 said:

Our slot t is a little bit better than Union Grove..... how y’all gonna let them drive the field and score on ya?

My guess is we came out flat, I mean we are talking about Union Grove! You can be four times better and only have 40 yards rushing on the night, total rushing yards was 0! Jooooooooooooooaquin, since we adding letters for loses!

28 minutes ago, Jacket44 said:

My guess is we came out flat, I mean we are talking about Union Grove! You can be four times better and only have 40 yards rushing on the night, total rushing yards was 0! Jooooooooooooooaquin, since we adding letters for loses!

Damb. All those o’s you almost exceeded the character limit allowed for your comment. Easy 44 lol. You won’t have enough space to say what you’re trying to say if we spell their name with the right amount of letters. 

1 hour ago, Jacket44 said:

What do the “O” represent?

4 hours ago, Jacket44 said:

21 and 60 on the D-line are as good as you have seen too, just wait till Friday

Joe's O line can play downright mean when they want to, just a matter of which Joaquin team shows up Friday. Joe has seen some good, fast, aggressive D-lines before so I'm confident they can probably handle whatever Alto's defense hands them. 

Ahhhhhh, just a few more days until Alto has their late year scrimmage where they will score “fiddy” on Joaquin while simultaneously getting winks and kisses blown to them from the Joaquin women. After the scrimmage, Alto will go back home to tend their superior cattle and make love to their husky wives. Gilbert will fade back into the shadow realm from where he came. 

Alto Vs Joaquin thread: The movie —Starring Dewayne “The Rock” Johnson

• Like 1
  • LOL! 3

15 minutes ago, BlueBlood99 said:

Yall home

Thanks bro. Good luck to y’all and safe travels to and from for all of the fans. 

I want to say I had the chance to ref a few games of Joaquin’s a few years back and I will say y’all had some great and respectful kids there. I am sure y’all still do and it’s great to see kids that play with heart. Not a lot of trash talk out of them and always was cordial when asking about a call. I reffed a lot of East Texas teams and these were two of the best teams I had the chance to be around. Carlisle also had some very respectful kids and I am sure that remains as well. 

• Like 2

All this trash talk been fun and good spirited..... But on the real, I have nothing but respect for Alto and their program throughout the years. IMO opinion they are 2nd to nobody and are on the Mt. Rushmore of high school athletics. Little ole Joaquin just getting started climbing the mountain a few years ago when we mustarded a victory over you guys. The fact that there can even be trash talk is an improvement from where Joe has come from in the past. I mean Alto had Joe beat before they ever got off the bus just 5 years ago. Best of luck to both teams and I believe whomever wins this game has a really good shot at SA. A lot of ftball to be played before that though......If Joe can pull this one off then evbody eyes fittna get real big in the reg 3 discussion. If Alto knocks off Joe then it’s inevitable they will give SA all they want and then some..... Like Bart said from the Ravens.....CAN’T WAIT!!!!!! We have two more days of trash talk and then it gets real.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, BlueBlood99 said:

All this trash talk been fun and good spirited..... But on the real, I have nothing but respect for Alto and their program throughout the years. IMO opinion they are 2nd to nobody and are on the Mt. Rushmore of high school athletics. Little ole Joaquin just getting started climbing the mountain a few years ago when we mustarded a victory over you guys. The fact that there can even be trash talk is an improvement from where Joe has come from in the past. I mean Alto had Joe beat before they ever got off the bus just 5 years ago. Best of luck to both teams and I believe whomever wins this game has a really good shot at SA. A lot of ftball to be played before that though......If Joe can pull this one off then evbody eyes fittna get real big in the reg 3 discussion. If Alto knocks off Joe then it’s inevitable they will give SA all they want and then some..... Like Bart said from the Ravens.....CAN’T WAIT!!!!!! We have two more days of trash talk and then it gets real.

Agree

I was a little surprised we are playing in Lufkin, but glad Joaquin gets to come south this time.  With the exception of SFA in 1990 (Area: Alto 57-0), the other games were north: Tatum (2007 | QFN: Alto 47-6) and Gladewater (2008 | Alto 25-13).  We also met in 1955 (Bi-Dist: Alto 19-6) but I don't find where that game was played; I wasn't around at the time. 🤷‍♂️😂  I know who to ask when I see him though!

Alto has a 4-game winning streak at Abe Martin:

• 2013:  Alto 47 - Hull-Daisetta 42
  • 2012:  Alto 35 - Hull-Daisetta 28
  • 2007:  Alto 21 - Groveton 13
  • 2006:  Alto 50 - Groveton 7

Two losses:

• 2004:  Corrigan-Camden 18 - Alto 12 (4 OTs)
  • 1984:  Groveton 14 - Alto 6

Nice venue to play in!  Interesting tidbit from a fellow Jacket fan:  The 2004 game vs. Corrigan-Camden was the last game to be played on grass before Lufkin switched to turf, and it was a mud bowl that night!  All close games for Alto with the exception of the 2006 game over Groveton.

READY TO ROLL! 💪

1 hour ago, BlueBlood99 said:

I’ve been there to watch Newton play and I didn’t care for it personally...... you are just so far from the action.

It does feel kind of far away; stands are pretty dang tall!  And of course, folks from Joaquin might feel even further away since y'all are practically on the field at home.  Your fans are used to being part of the action! lol

19 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

I was a little surprised we are playing in Lufkin, but glad Joaquin gets to come south this time.  With the exception of SFA in 1990 (Area: Alto 57-0), the other games were north: Tatum (2007 | QFN: Alto 47-6) and Gladewater (2008 | Alto 25-13).  We also met in 1955 (Bi-Dist: Alto 19-6) but I don't find where that game was played; I wasn't around at the time. 🤷‍♂️😂  I know who to ask when I see him though!

Alto has a 4-game winning streak at Abe Martin:

• 2013:  Alto 47 - Hull-Daisetta 42
  • 2012:  Alto 35 - Hull-Daisetta 28
  • 2007:  Alto 21 - Groveton 13
  • 2006:  Alto 50 - Groveton 7

Two losses:

• 2004:  Corrigan-Camden 18 - Alto 12 (4 OTs)
  • 1984:  Groveton 14 - Alto 6

Nice venue to play in!  Interesting tidbit from a fellow Jacket fan:  The 2004 game vs. Corrigan-Camden was the last game to be played on grass before Lufkin switched to turf, and it was a mud bowl that night!  All close games for Alto with the exception of the 2006 game over Groveton.

READY TO ROLL! 💪

I’ll never forget that night in 04... not only was it raining but it was cold too!! 😂😂

• Like 2