6A DII RII Area Round: Longview vs Dallas Jesuit

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (11-0) vs Dallas Jesuit Rangers (7-4)  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Dallas Jesuit in a close one
    • Dallas Jesuit in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/23/2019 at 01:30 AM

19 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That's a very good point. A lot of people have made the arguments that we face easier opponents than teams in the 80s/90s did. And that it's easier to make the playoffs with the 3-team and eventually 4-team format because "back in the day if you lose 1 game, you could be at home come playoff time". 

But other teams in the area haven't seen the success we have, even with the "easier" opponents and "easier" playoff format. Lee was good for about 4 years (three straight semi-final games, the last one ending in a state championship) and Lufkin was a top team in the state for 5 years (1 state championship, 3 other semi-final appearances from 01-05), but both of them have struggled to make much noise in the postseason. Dunno why- we see Lufkin play Longview closer than anybody year after year, match them with speed and talent, and they can't get out of the 2nd round, or 1st some years. 

This brings up a good question...  how would you explain Longview's continued success, in light of the struggles of other programs of comparable size, location, demographics? 

I mean, yeah, you can just puff out your chest and say Longview boys are just better, but I'd like more evidence of this. Is it King? Is it something else? What are the main contributing factors? What's the recipe? 

13 minutes ago, AKA said:

This brings up a good question...  how would you explain Longview's continued success, in light of the struggles of other programs of comparable size, location, demographics? 

I mean, yeah, you can just puff out your chest and say Longview boys are just better, but I'd like more evidence of this. Is it King? Is it something else? What are the main contributing factors? What's the recipe? 

I think King is one of the best coaches in the area. He has turned Longview into an absolute monster.

Are there games we should've won that we lost? Of course. We're not gonna win every one we play. He's made some bone headed decisions, just as the players have made some bone headed decisions. As Quick said, that 2010 ending will forever haunt my memory. Longview should've gone to State that year, and I fully believe we would've won it with our brand of play over Steele. 2017, I think we play closer to Cy Fair than Midway, but we'll never know because of a certain individual's mistakes throughout that contest.

We've been on the edge of greatness ever since he took over. 2011 is another one, that I think we beat the eventual State Champions 9 out of 10 times we play them. I don't think we win state in 2013, but that team was better than the team we lost to and I think that team was better than that 3rd round exit they suffered.

I think JT's issues are their talent goes up and down so much, and really, you will never be able to sustain a winning program with just 30 players on the side line on this level. Lufkin, I honestly think it's pure coaching. The lack of talent across 5A in East Texas is staggering to me, and I don't mean that as a knock. There's a player here or there, but Sulphur Springs/Jacksonville/Mount Pleasant/Pine Tree etc etc it's just tough from a talent perspective. I'm hoping PT sticks with their coach cause at least he seems to be guiding them in the right direction. Marshall has seem to come out of their funk, but I still have hesitation about them on a state level. They're on the right path, but I don't particularly think this year's group was ever as good as they wanted it to be. But their coach, if he stays there, can build something nice. But I just don't think they face anyone in district play that prepares them for what they're going to face on the state level come playoff time.

It's all cyclical though. I'm sure our time, at some point, to have a poor season will come. Definitely don't see it happening next season though with the talent coming back and the drop, as long as King as coach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I think King is one of the best coaches in the area. He has turned Longview into an absolute monster.

Are there games we should've won that we lost? Of course. We're not gonna win every one we play. He's made some bone headed decisions, just as the players have made some bone headed decisions. As Quick said, that 2010 ending will forever haunt my memory. Longview should've gone to State that year, and I fully believe we would've won it with our brand of play over Steele. 2017, I think we play closer to Cy Fair than Midway, but we'll never know because of a certain individual's mistakes throughout that contest.

We've been on the edge of greatness ever since he took over. 2011 is another one, that I think we beat the eventual State Champions 9 out of 10 times we play them. I don't think we win state in 2013, but that team was better than the team we lost to and I think that team was better than that 3rd round exit they suffered.

I think JT's issues are their talent goes up and down so much, and really, you will never be able to sustain a winning program with just 30 players on the side line on this level. Lufkin, I honestly think it's pure coaching. The lack of talent across 5A in East Texas is staggering to me, and I don't mean that as a knock. There's a player here or there, but Sulphur Springs/Jacksonville/Mount Pleasant/Pine Tree etc etc it's just tough from a talent perspective. I'm hoping PT sticks with their coach cause at least he seems to be guiding them in the right direction. Marshall has seem to come out of their funk, but I still have hesitation about them on a state level. They're on the right path, but I don't particularly think this year's group was ever as good as they wanted it to be. But their coach, if he stays there, can build something nice. But I just don't think they face anyone in district play that prepares them for what they're going to face on the state level come playoff time.

It's all cyclical though. I'm sure our time, at some point, to have a poor season will come. Definitely don't see it happening next season though with the talent coming back and the drop, as long as King as coach.

Also under the King Umbrella is John Berry  who has built GW into a state ranked team... and groomed Johnny Louvier who had taken the reigns at Spring Hill that is showing some promise.. KING has definitely proven to be a great leader on the sidelines and that has had a trickle effect on many people that work under him.  I DO believe he would be the first to remind us that he couldn’t do it without them either! Go ‘BOS!  Go get em Spring Hill!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AKA said:

1. Coaching 

The coaching is top notch, and there is low turnvover at Longview. Coaches come and they stay, I mean Coach Wilson (RBs coach) has been at LV since the 70s. Many others have been at LV pretty much since King became HC. We also keep everything in house when promoting a position. No need to hire outside when you already have good coaches on staff who already knows how the program operates. I'm not a big fan of the coaching staffs at the other ETX bigs, namely Lufkin.

2. A solid connection with the 3 main MS

Cant build a house without the foundation and our foundation is as strong as it gets. The MS coaches and athletes are very connected to the HS coaches and players so everyone already knows what is expected once they get to HS.

3. High numbers

A solid coaching staff mixed with a solid foundation almost certainly means numbers will be high yearly. Depth is always important and LV has plenty of it. This is an area JT lacks in alot. 

4. Willingness to adapt to the athlete

This is a big one. We don't force a system on players, we put them in best position to win. Goes back to what you said earlier, we are willing to adapt and change over time depdnding on the situation. Alot of the problem at Lufkin is lack of evolving. Their offense for the most part is the same as it was 10-15 years ago and hardly ever changes over the course of a season.

5. The talent and tradition

No matter how good a staff is, you need the horses. Longview has a rich soil of talent that other places simply dont have at the moment whether they wanna admit it or not. And from 5 years old, they wanna be Lobos. 

6. The facilities

Nothing like having great resources to keep the players engaged. LV has the best facilties of any ETX big school and the community and school board is always willing to keep it that way. Lobo could use more seating but its still one of the more beautiful stadiums in ETX and well kept.

7. Lobo Nation and Alumni support

To keep it brief, may be one of the most important things on this list. Its hard for anyone to accomplish anything without support and there's plenty of it in LV.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Loboden95 said:

Also under the King Umbrella is John Berry  who has built GW into a state ranked team... and groomed Johnny Louvier who had taken the reigns at Spring Hill that is showing some promise.. KING has definitely proven to be a great leader on the sidelines and that has had a trickle effect on many people that work under him.  I DO believe he would be the first to remind us that he couldn’t do it without them either! Go ‘BOS!  Go get em Spring Hill!

This is true.

As a matter of fact, if you go over to SH and watch them....their offense, while not as diverse, is replica of what is being ran at LV.

Iform and everything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Champ1000 said:

I am sure it's been talked about but I didn't realize Emmit Smith 's son plays for Jesuit. Is he anything like dad? 

Great player, got his yards last time we played but he is facing a nightmare of a defense and not completely healed...will be interesting to see what Jesuit does with him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

1. Coaching 

The coaching is top notch, and there is low turnvover at Longview. Coaches come and they stay, I mean Coach Wilson (RBs coach) has been at LV since the 70s. Many others have been at LV pretty much since King became HC. We also keep everything in house when promoting a position. No need to hire outside when you already have good coaches on staff who already knows how the program operates. I'm not a big fan of the coaching staffs at the other ETX bigs, namely Lufkin.

2. A solid connection with the 3 main MS

Cant build a house without the foundation and our foundation is as strong as it gets. The MS coaches and athletes are very connected to the HS coaches and players so everyone already knows what is expected once they get to HS.

3. High numbers

A solid coaching staff mixed with a solid foundation almost certainly means numbers will be high yearly. Depth is always important and LV has plenty of it. This is an area JT lacks in alot. 

4. Willingness to adapt to the athlete

This is a big one. We don't force a system on players, we put them in best position to win. Goes back to what you said earlier, we are willing to adapt and change over time depdnding on the situation. Alot of the problem at Lufkin is lack of evolving. Their offense for the most part is the same as it was 10-15 years ago and hardly ever changes over the course of a season.

No matter how good a staff is, you need the horses. Longview has a rich soil of talent that other places simply dont have at the moment whether they wanna admit it or not. And from 5 years old, they wanna be Lobos. 

6. The facilities

Nothing like having great resources to keep the players engaged. LV has the best facilties of any ETX big school and the community and school board is always willing to keep it that way. Lobo could use more seating but its still one of the more beautiful stadiums in ETX and well kept.

To keep it brief, may be one of the most important things on this list. Its hard for anyone to accomplish anything without support and there's plenty of it in LV.

Gold

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I dunno if kingwolf I still around, but I remember him saying in 2005 that "Longview won't ever win state until they groom QBs they way they do RBs". It was an uphill climb, but eventually it happened. 

I don't believe Longview grooms Rb's...it's just natural. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ANTI said:

Ain't that the truth may not still have king as coach if wasn't for Haynes crying as they passed lobo and said he wants to be a lobo,back  in 2006 when Henderson came calling 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gtee2 said:

I don't believe Longview grooms Rb's...it's just natural. 

Going to humbly disagree...we have incredibly raw talent and are blessed with it repeatedly but we have some of the best coaches in the business like Coach Wilson and have for decades...our ability to turn out so many and have to put them on defense is a testament to our tradition as well...we have always excelled at their development....looks like we are on the road with QBs as well...

19 hours ago, ANTI said:

Agree with everything on your list, but I want to camp out on these points...  

I'm originally from a small town that used to have a lot of success and there was absolutely a direct correlation between the current players, the past greats, and the youngsters. Former players would be on the sidelines during games, would give us motivational talks after practice, and (sometimes) would even call us out publicly if we weren't maintaining the standard of excellence. Kids playing sandlot football weren't pretending to be Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith, but rather our local high school gridiron stars. I wasn't even a star player, but I used to have grade-schoolers ask for my autograph after games. 

That's all gone now, and the program is the worse for it. I don't know if it's a modern "snowflake" thing, a general apathy thing, or just the inevitable well running dry for a community. But I can't help but feel that a minimum level of "buy-in" from a community is vital to keeping a program successful. Show me a successful program, and I'll show you a community that was supporting them passionately before they got there. 

I know the Lobo fanbase has kind of a reputation of being rather severe on ourselves (which can sometimes manifest in rather dysfunctional ways), but I believe the heart of it is in the right place. That's why I have so much respect for guys like Quick and Anti who (though they are often at odds over a matter), are ultimately motivated by a love and loyalty to the program itself. That makes all the difference. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AKA said:

Agree with everything on your list, but I want to camp out on these points...  

I'm originally from a small town that used to have a lot of success and there was absolutely a direct correlation between the current players, the past greats, and the youngsters. Former players would be on the sidelines during games, would give us motivational talks after practice, and (sometimes) would even call us out publicly if we weren't maintaining the standard of excellence. Kids playing sandlot football weren't pretending to be Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith, but rather our local high school gridiron stars. I wasn't even a star player, but I used to have grade-schoolers ask for my autograph after games. 

That's all gone now, and the program is the worse for it. I don't know if it's a modern "snowflake" thing, a general apathy thing, or just the inevitable well running dry for a community. But I can't help but feel that a minimum level of "buy-in" from a community is vital to keeping a program successful. Show me a successful program, and I'll show you a community that was supporting them passionately before they got there. 

I know the Lobo fanbase has kind of a reputation of being rather severe on ourselves (which can sometimes manifest in rather dysfunctional ways), but I believe the heart of it is in the right place. That's why I have so much respect for guys like Quick and Anti who (though they are often at odds over a matter), are ultimately motivated by a love and loyalty to the program itself. That makes all the difference. 

Welcome aboard, dude. We Love You here! Real Talk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2019 at 5:07 PM, LoboFan07 said:

Post game show with head coach John King following Longview's 41-10 victory over Temple..

https://www.lobohistory.com/gamelogs/audio/temple11152019postgame.mp3

Audio highlights of Longview's 41-10 win over Temple...

https://www.lobohistory.com/gamelogs/audio/temple11152019.mp3

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, WolverBean said:

Wow really less then temple  so Jesuit they saying is better then temple 🤔🤔

Offensively yes....I think Longview races out to a big lead....Jesuit gets a couple of garbage time TDs for window dressing

• Thanks 1

• Mr. P locked this topic