2A D1 AREA PLAYOFF: Normangee (6-5) vs. #4 San Augustine(11-0) - 7:00 p.m. Crockett HS - Friday 11/22/19

SAWolfman

Who Wins  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, SAWolfman said:

Heard Prince may be out in Garrison?  Any truth to that?

No truth to that from what I’ve heard, they wouldn’t do that to him after one year that everyone who knows anything about football knew was going to be a rebuild year, and he’s got most of the school board backing him I believe.  Can’t ever tell with Garrison folks though.  Where’d you hear this?

And to address your other comments, you had to have seen what he had to work with at Bandera and Dawson.  Dawson was on a 20 game losing streak when he got there, and I believe hadn’t scored an offensive touchdown the season before.  Bandera the 0-10 year had three torn ACLs in the first drive of the season of the best three players on the team, and then after that... unathletic doesn’t begin to describe it.  He’s a good football coach and a good man, and that’s why they took him, and he’s proved them right so far.  Done pretty well at Garrison.

34 minutes ago, Bulldog64 said:

No truth to that from what I’ve heard, they wouldn’t do that to him after one year that everyone who knows anything about football knew was going to be a rebuild year, and he’s got most of the school board backing him I believe.  Can’t ever tell with Garrison folks though.  Where’d you hear this?

And to address your other comments, you had to have seen what he had to work with at Bandera and Dawson.  Dawson was on a 20 game losing streak when he got there, and I believe hadn’t scored an offensive touchdown the season before.  Bandera the 0-10 year had three torn ACLs in the first drive of the season of the best three players on the team, and then after that... unathletic doesn’t begin to describe it.  He’s a good football coach and a good man, and that’s why they took him, and he’s proved them right so far.  Done pretty well at Garrison.

He seems like a good man, but from my view he doesnt seem like a good HC.  I've had a few people say something about..even heard it may be his last year at Garrieon before the season started.  

7 hours ago, SAWolfman said:

He seems like a good man, but from my view he doesnt seem like a good HC.  I've had a few people say something about..even heard it may be his last year at Garrieon before the season started.  

based on what though?  I don’t understand this line of thinking.  Last year ran the table in the hardest district in 2A, that’s hard no matter how good your athletes are.  Lost a weird fluke 3 pick 6 game to Bishop Gorman.  And Crockett, well, we just got beat.  The previous 2 years had to compete in a district where they were the smallest school by far, while still playing a tough OOD schedule.

this year wasn’t so good, but you lose 3 really good offensive linemen and 10 other starters and you’re gonna have problems.  It’s not like he’s coaching the linemen to miss blocks or the center to snap the ball poorly sometimes this year, or coaching them to hold.

things just happen.

it’s obviously your opinion and you can think what you want, you seem to be level headed, but there’s always more to it than just “coach is bad because they don’t win”. Granted garrison people have disliked him since he got here because the offense he brought.  It’s not “garrison football” even though it’s just as smash mouth as any other run first offense, so that’s most of the grumbling.

not wishing anything on you guys, but next year when y’all are replacing 16 or 17(?) seniors will coach Murr suddenly start being a bad coach?  No, just a coach that’s replacing one of the best senior classes in San Augustine history.

1 hour ago, Bulldog64 said:

based on what though?  I don’t understand this line of thinking.  Last year ran the table in the hardest district in 2A, that’s hard no matter how good your athletes are.  Lost a weird fluke 3 pick 6 game to Bishop Gorman.  And Crockett, well, we just got beat.  The previous 2 years had to compete in a district where they were the smallest school by far, while still playing a tough OOD schedule.

this year wasn’t so good, but you lose 3 really good offensive linemen and 10 other starters and you’re gonna have problems.  It’s not like he’s coaching the linemen to miss blocks or the center to snap the ball poorly sometimes this year, or coaching them to hold.

things just happen.

it’s obviously your opinion and you can think what you want, you seem to be level headed, but there’s always more to it than just “coach is bad because they don’t win”. Granted garrison people have disliked him since he got here because the offense he brought.  It’s not “garrison football” even though it’s just as smash mouth as any other run first offense, so that’s most of the grumbling.

not wishing anything on you guys, but next year when y’all are replacing 16 or 17(?) seniors will coach Murr suddenly start being a bad coach?  No, just a coach that’s replacing one of the best senior classes in San Augustine history.

Murr is a great coach.  His first year we had a bunch of sophmores and still competed.  Last night we had a running back at QB and still won the region. He utilizes his talent.  Garrison had a monster team last year and he got outcoached by Murr.  We lose a lot this year but we always have athletes and he puts them where he thinks they can succeed. He is probably near the most wins of all time at SA.  

5 minutes ago, SAWolfman said:

Murr is a great coach.  His first year we had a bunch of sophmores and still competed.  Last night we had a running back at QB and still won the region. He utilizes his talent.  Garrison had a monster team last year and he got outcoached by Murr.  We lose a lot this year but we always have athletes and he puts them where he thinks they can succeed. He is probably near the most wins of all time at SA.  

Bet SA goes 10-0 next year. I’ll put some money on it with ANYBODY

after the 2017 season SA lost I think 18 seniors and of those seniors 5 signed to play college ball,  I don't think any 2A school has ever had that many sign in one class. The very next year was supposed to be a rebuilding year people said 2 rounds maximum and Murr brought those boys back to the semifinals. He's just a great coach and an even better man and has turned the SA football program from  mediocre to elite. 

32 minutes ago, BronCos2015 said:

after the 2017 season SA lost I think 18 seniors and of those seniors 5 signed to play college ball,  I don't think any 2A school has ever had that many sign in one class. The very next year was supposed to be a rebuilding year people said 2 rounds maximum and Murr brought those boys back to the semifinals. He's just a great coach and an even better man and has turned the SA football program from  mediocre to elite. 

Very well said.  But, we were still good under Hubbard.  His offense was great, but we struggled defensively.  We were horrible under Ford and Clay.

1 hour ago, SAWolfman said:

Not arguing that he’s not.  He’s a good coach and a great role model.

Yeah, those sophomores are great.  And those are the kids that are gone after this year, right? Also most of the o line are seniors? I’m just saying that not winning at a place with no talent doesn’t make you a bad coach.  And yeah, that game last year in the third round I can show you on film kids messing up on plays they’d run all year.  Still doesn’t make Prince a bad coach.  Just like if y’all struggle next year, it won’t make Murr a bad coach

if Prince leaves Bandera after his third year to a better school, this discussion would not have to be had, but he would never say that.  It’s hard basing your career off of 17 year olds performing consistently

21 minutes ago, Bulldog64 said:

Not arguing that he’s not.  He’s a good coach and a great role model.

Yeah, those sophomores are great.  And those are the kids that are gone after this year, right? Also most of the o line are seniors? I’m just saying that not winning at a place with no talent doesn’t make you a bad coach.  And yeah, that game last year in the third round I can show you on film kids messing up on plays they’d run all year.  Still doesn’t make Prince a bad coach.  Just like if y’all struggle next year, it won’t make Murr a bad coach

if Prince leaves Bandera after his third year to a better school, this discussion would not have to be had, but he would never say that.  It’s hard basing your career off of 17 year olds performing consistently

No those sophomores were the 2017 graduates.

16 minutes ago, wolfpack76 said:

To even put Prince in the category with Murr is absurd. I won’t bash Prince, but he is far from Murr...

I don’t think anyone compared them?  I do think both are good coaches though. I’m not one to say “X is better than Y” though 

4 minutes ago, Bulldog64 said:

I don’t think anyone compared them?  I do think both are good coaches though. I’m not one to say “X is better than Y” though 

I thought he called a horrible game friday.  The onsides instead of pinning us deep.  The fake punts.  The trick plays.  Just got too cute.

7 minutes ago, SAWolfman said:

I thought he called a horrible game friday.  The onsides instead of pinning us deep.  The fake punts.  The trick plays.  Just got too cute.

Well, we don’t kick deep ever.  Just pooch kicks.  Kicker doesn’t kick very far.  And when you’re outmanned you gotta get splash plays, yeah it was cutesy stuff, but you gotta at least try.  
would you rather run into a brick wall or try and run around it?