Groveton vs. Big Sandy @ Rusk 11/22

Reddog92

8 hours ago, Reddog92 said:

Always possible... I seem to be the lone Groveton representative on Smoaky anymore. Humility is a wonderful thing. I will say Groveton can put some points on the board. They have alot of different ways to do it. Running and passing. But Lufkin thought they were gonna win as well... Anything can happen in the playoffs if you can exploit a weakness someone else has missed.

I’m big time Big Sandy fan but you’re right, Groveton is suppose to win this game,  from what I’ve heard Groveton’s offense is explosive as all get out. But then again you just never know what Big Sandy Team you might get y’all might get one that y’all can beat by 80 or y’all might get one that could beat y’all by a couple TD’s just a crazy team like that. Groveton is suppose to win this game no doubt. But these are teenagers and you gotta play the actual game not just off of predictions. These are just my thoughts. Pulling for BS tho. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reddog92 said:

I guess this thread has really taken a backseat to the Alto vs. Joaquin thread.

Big Sandy & Groveton are legendary in the state of Texas. Alto & Joaquin, well most don't even know they still play football anymore (hahaha). So will let them have their limelight. 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jorr2car said:

Big Sandy & Groveton are legendary in the state of Texas. Alto & Joaquin, well most don't even know they still play football anymore (hahaha). So will let them have their limelight. 😂

And by “they” I assume you mean Joaquin!   Because we’ve been playing since 1927 and doing ok! 😂 Joaquin....well, 🤔

• LOL! 1

19 hours ago, wildcat001 said:

It looks like it man, sadly, 11 pages and counting to 2😭

That's alright bud. Let's talk program history a little. Groveton has about 660 total wins with a consecutive record of 32 wins 89-90. 3 state championships 6 appearances in the finals I believe. But this is the first time since 07' that Groveton has won a playoff game. I know Big Sandy has a storied program as well during the Lovie Smith days what's y'all's records all time. Are y'all growing population wise ? Groveton has been 2A as long as any team I know. Elementary has some pretty large numbers. I would be surprised if they move up in a few more years. 

20 hours ago, jorr2car said:

Do you know the largest attended game in the History of SFA's football field was a playoff game between Alto and Groveton in the 80's if I'm not mistaken. Back when Alto has Steve Lofton and Groveton went to State 3 years in a row with Michael Horace toting the mail. Hard nose man's football back then for sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reddog92 said:

Do you know the largest attended game in the History of SFA's football field was a playoff game between Alto and Groveton in the 80's if I'm not mistaken. Back when Alto has Steve Lofton and Groveton went to State 3 years in a row with Michael Horace toting the mail. Hard nose man's football back then for sure.

I'm pretty sure that 04 state championship played there between Gilmer & Jasper probably might have topped those numbers, but I could be wrong. 

On 11/17/2019 at 8:45 AM, wildcat001 said:

I’m big time Big Sandy fan but you’re right, Groveton is suppose to win this game,  from what I’ve heard Groveton’s offense is explosive as all get out. But then again you just never know what Big Sandy Team you might get y’all might get one that y’all can beat by 80 or y’all might get one that could beat y’all by a couple TD’s just a crazy team like that. Groveton is suppose to win this game no doubt. But these are teenagers and you gotta play the actual game not just off of predictions. These are just my thoughts. Pulling for BS tho. 

It's not that explosive 

18 hours ago, Reddog92 said:

90 wasn’t far off I would imagine, lots of people! Been some jam up battles between the two, Good luck, Friday night, maybe we will get to see y’all one more time next week.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Reddog92 said:

That's alright bud. Let's talk program history a little. Groveton has about 660 total wins with a consecutive record of 32 wins 89-90. 3 state championships 6 appearances in the finals I believe. But this is the first time since 07' that Groveton has won a playoff game. I know Big Sandy has a storied program as well during the Lovie Smith days what's y'all's records all time. Are y'all growing population wise ? Groveton has been 2A as long as any team I know. Elementary has some pretty large numbers. I would be surprised if they move up in a few more years. 

I’m not real sure on the record, but as far as population😂 Big Sandy ain’t growing man! Probably getting smaller!

49 minutes ago, Dawgman said:

The matchup in 04 was a good ball game. Big Sandy’s punter won that game for them late. Flipped the field. 

He was a GOOD punter. Got a pretty good one again but hopefully won't see him too much 😂

You are right, it was a great game. Groveton was talented!!!

On 11/20/2019 at 2:20 AM, Reddog92 said:

There’s no way that record wasn’t broken the last time Lufkin played Southlake Carroll there back when lufkin was like #1 in the nation and on espn. That has to have been the record I was there and there wasn’t a single spot to sit or stand 

13 minutes ago, EdgarAllenPwn said:

There’s no way that record wasn’t broken the last time Lufkin played Southlake Carroll there back when lufkin was like #1 in the nation and on espn. That has to have been the record I was there and there wasn’t a single spot to sit or stand 

Let's not forget those Lufkin longview games.

34 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

Let's not forget those Lufkin longview games.

I was told that from SFAs old AD Steve Mcarty back when I used to work in Alto several years ago. Either way it was at minimum the highest attended small school game there I'd imagine.

Truth. Groveton favored and for good reason. Big Sandy will have to play the best they have all season (but they seem to be getting better every week) and maybe have the ball bounce their way a couple times. 

Big Sandy can't afford to get down early. Not a strong air attack to catch up quickly but enough to keep you honest. 

Keys: Groveton linebackers will have to read their keys to slow down Big Sandy's rushing attack. 

Big Sandy DB's are going to have to play lights out and force a few turnovers.