Gilmer vs Fairfield

gilmerstar

A few quick observations:

1.  Key question coming out of this game is the health of Mason Hurt.  Tennison is an electric player, but he is not as effective of a passer as Hurt.  Hurt never returned after the hit on the goal line, and he was in a jacket the entire 2nd half.  If he can't play, Tennison would be the lone QB on the team, and I don't see the coaches running him a lot in that situation.  Hopefully, holding Hurt out was just precautionary.

2.  I didn't understand the offensive strategy of Gilmer in the 1st quarter.  They were going into the wind, but still insisted on throwing the football.  That led to several underthrown passes and and interception that was partly because of the wind.  They scored on a 53 yard touchdown run, and then went back to throwing the football.  When they began to run the ball in the 2nd quarter, Fairfield had no answer.  I just don't know why they weren't doing it from the beginning.  

3.  Gilmer still needs to cut down the mistakes.  They played much better in the second half, but they still didn't have great focus at the beginning.  

4.  I do like that Gilmer used Davion Smith more at RB this game.  He has great vision, great acceleration, and great top end speed.  I still think Bush is probably the better RB, but by running Smith more, they were able to use Bush more at defensive end, and he is an absolute beast at defensive end.  

5.  Forget the final score, the starting defense only gave up 2 TDs, and one of them was on a busted coverage.  Not a perfect game, but they played really good.

6.  My only problem with the final score is Gilmer didn't pick up a stinking yard on 4th and one with two minutes  left.  A first down there ends the game, keeps Fairfield from scoring their final TD, and gets this old man out of the cold wind about five minutes earlier.  I know it was the 4th string RB for Gilmer, but you still got to have the Oline get that yard.  

Overall, another good game from Gilmer, especially the defense.  But they will need to clean up the mistakes before they play Connally.  Hopefully, Hurt is good to go.