Argyle(11-0) vs Stephenville(6-4) Thurs. 7:30 @ Mansfield-Round 2

regaleagle

Congrats to Kade Renfro and the Stephenville Yellowjackets.......they did not go quietly into the night.  Most probably their very best offensive game of the season as they emptied the playbook and forced 3 turnovers in the 2nd half.......all leading to TD's.  One was a blocked punt that was scooped up and run back for a TD......Argyle's first blocked punt or kick all year.  Argyle did perservere when against the wall, and despite the turnovers kept moving the chains and scoring.  Some confusion on defense tonight with a few starters missing, and Soph Knox Scoggins getting most of the playing time as the RB with limited minutes with this starting offense during the season.  Stephenville played their hearts out and never quit.......they can hold their heads high for ending the season on a very high note. 

54 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I understand there may have been a few starters missing on defense, but wow.

Argyle’s defense is not good.

Missing starters. Offensive turnovers, one of which directly went for a touchdown. Not to mention, Stephenville has a very good quarterback, and some decent skill position players. Certainly 49 points is a lot to give up, but I wouldn't jump to saying Argyle's defense is not good.

2 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Missing starters. Offensive turnovers, one of which directly went for a touchdown. Not to mention, Stephenville has a very good quarterback, and some decent skill position players. Certainly 49 points is a lot to give up, but I wouldn't jump to saying Argyle's defense is not good.

Uhhhhhh

🥴

Just now, HearEmaGrowlin said:

49 points versus a 6-4 team.

Like I said, a lot of points. Not all of it would fall squarely on the defense, though, was the point I was making.

But, it really doesn't matter what they gave up. They won. They move on. They'll probably play another District 5 team next week and then would be guaranteed to face someone in the Region II championship that they've already beaten convincingly this season.

27 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Like I said, a lot of points. Not all of it would fall squarely on the defense, though, was the point I was making.

But, it really doesn't matter what they gave up. They won. They move on. They'll probably play another District 5 team next week and then would be guaranteed to face someone in the Region II championship that they've already beaten convincingly this season.

We both know the rematch won’t be the same game as it was early in the year.  So you can leave “convincingly” out of that last sentence.

30 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Argyle has given up 35, 42, 44, 48, and now 49. If Argyle can win a championship giving up points like that, I’ll be very impressed to say the least. This is the same song and dance from Argyle last few years. World beaters until they get beat. I just refuse to believe you can win a state title giving up points like that. Not trying to make this about Carthage, but if Stephenville put up 49, Carthage will score every time they touch the ball. I promise they won’t punt, absolutely no way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

We both know the rematch won’t be the same game as it was early in the year.  So you can leave “convincingly” out of that last sentence.

Surely Argyle cannot beat LV again? I just don’t see them doing whatever they want to LV, but I don’t know. Put 49 on them in the 1st meeting. I know 1 team I am absolutely not worried about Argyle beating. But that game will have to be played on December 20th if it’s going to happen.

20 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Surely Argyle cannot beat LV again? I just don’t see them doing whatever they want to LV, but I don’t know. Put 49 on them in the 1st meeting. I know 1 team I am absolutely not worried about Argyle beating. But that game will have to be played on December 20th if it’s going to happen.

I just can’t understand why the Eagle offense can be so good and the Eagle defense not as good.  I mean they can afford to move some guys from offense to defense and still score 50!  It doesn’t make sense to me.

31 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Of course the rematch, assuming it happens, won't be the same game. I didn't say that. I didn't think that. Yet that truth does not make untrue my statement that Argyle has already beaten La Vega, Melissa and Celina convincingly this season. Those two truths can exist mutually exclusive of one another without any sort of contradiction or conflict.

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

Since the Argyle game LV is only giving up 7.5 points per game,  against some pretty good teams.  Convincingly would be a stretch Argyle score with 2 seconds left to go up by 14.  and that was the only touchdown that Argyle scored in the second half.  La Vega will have to win tonight and then against Melissa to have a shot at Argyle again.  Argyle better be concerned about  Brownwood (if they win tonight),  the Lions defense matches up very well against the Eagle offense.  

5 minutes ago, coachkells said:

Since the Argyle game LV is only giving up 7.5 points per game,  against some pretty good teams.  Convincingly would be a stretch Argyle score with 2 seconds left to go up by 14.  and that was the only touchdown that Argyle scored in the second half.  La Vega will have to win tonight and then against Melissa to have a shot at Argyle again.  Argyle better be concerned about  Brownwood (if they win tonight),  the Lions defense matches up very well against the Eagle offense.  

La Vega is elite. No question. None. That early-season loss does nothing to diminish the fact that the Pirates are elite. La Vega has an embarrassment of riches, in terms of athletes, on both sides of the ball. Hard to stop on offense. Hard to attack on defense. There's also no question Argyle is going to be concerned with Brownwood/Alvarado. If the rematch happens, La Vega/Argyle will be must-see football, and there will be a big, big crowd on hand to see it. 

13 minutes ago, coachkells said:

Argyle went into the half with a 21 point lead.  Threw the ball I think 3 times in the second half and ran down the clock when needed.  I think it is pretty obvious the last thing they wanted or will want is LV's explosive offense on the field. Argyle had 60 rushes for 260ish yards and had around the same passing on like 20 passes in that game.  They also had the option of scoring on the next to last play of the game from the one or put that explosive offense on the field for one play down by a td.  What would you do?  Don't forget LV carried a time out into the locker room.  Argyle did control the clock in the second half.

With that said for there to be a rematch Argyle is going to have to beat a good Alvarado/Brownwood team.

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Must be nice to have the kind of road to ATT where you don't have to worry about losing and can put yourself in the state championship game after week 1 of the playoffs.  Carthage has a completely different path to ATT than LV/Argyle has.  

• Like 1