Argyle(11-0) vs Stephenville(6-4) Thurs. 7:30 @ Mansfield-Round 2

regaleagle

6 minutes ago, Eaglesone said:

Must be nice to have the kind of road to ATT where you don't have to worry about losing and can put yourself in the state championship game after week 1 of the playoffs.  Carthage has a completely different path to ATT than LV/Argyle has.  

While that is completely true, that's not really Carthage's fault. They can't do anything about their road to ATT. There have been years where that wasn't the case for them. Many times they've had to run through a nasty, nasty gauntlet to get to the title game. Obviously, this is not that year. You could take just about any of the playoff teams from District 5 and 7, put them in Region III and they'd make it to at least the semifinals. Combine the yawner of a Region III, along with the fact that Carthage is just really, really good, it's easy to see why they talk so confidently on here.

Just now, d0tc0m said:

While that is completely true, that's not really Carthage's fault. They can't do anything about that. But here have been years where that wasn't the case for them. Many times they've had to run through a nasty, nasty gauntlet to get to the title game. Obviously, this is not that year. You could take just about any of the playoff teams from District 5 and 7, put them in Region III and they'd make it to at least the semifinals. Combine the yawner of a Region III, along with the fact that Carthage is just really, really good, it's easy to see why they talk so confidently on here.

Zero question about that and I wasn't ragging on him about that!  But it must be nice!

42 minutes ago, Eaglesone said:

Must be nice to have the kind of road to ATT where you don't have to worry about losing and can put yourself in the state championship game after week 1 of the playoffs.  Carthage has a completely different path to ATT than LV/Argyle has.  

This year it seems we do, but we still have to execute and win the games.

2 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Like I said, a lot of points. Not all of it would fall squarely on the defense, though, was the point I was making.

But, it really doesn't matter what they gave up. They won. They move on. They'll probably play another District 5 team next week and then would be guaranteed to face someone in the Region II championship that they've already beaten convincingly this season.

Oh, in the playoffs - just win.

However, giving up the point totals they’ve given up this year you just have to be super concerned about that if you’re an Argyle fan.

1 minute ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

However, giving up the point totals they’ve given up this year you just have to be super concerned about that if you’re an Argyle fan.

The question is will they run in to a defense that can get a few stops. The Eagles offense is really good.  Guess we will have to see.  

21 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

No doubt and everyone knows it.  Until last night the defense had done a great job at making stops when it needed to (while surrendering lots of points).  Last night was a different story.  They converted several long third downs.  Injuries are only making it worse and throw in the fact of the offense having very quick drives and it makes for a long night for the defense.  Heck they started a freshman at FS last night that played JV this year.  Injuries are part of the game though.  With all of that said Renfro could really sling the ball.  He passed for 77 in the first game and like a gazillion last night.  Of course the first game was the HC first game as well.  Give Sville some credit though.  They not only forced turnovers but converted them when they did.  

26 minutes ago, coachkells said:

The question is will they run in to a defense that can get a few stops. The Eagles offense is really good.  Guess we will have to see.  

There is no question, they will.  The question is will the defense get a few stops too.

Talking about LV, what would you do different in game 2 if you are the LV d coordinator?  I would say stopping the run was the biggest issue for LV in game one.  Argyles running game took a hit losing byce but the receivers and QB are better now than then.  

4 minutes ago, Eaglesone said:

There is no question, they will.  The question is will the defense get a few stops too.

Talking about LV, what would you do different in game 2 if you are the LV d coordinator?  I would say stopping the run was the biggest issue for LV in game one.  Argyles running game took a hit losing byce but the receivers and QB are better now than then.  

Brownwood, La Vega, or Carthage.  Take your pick. 

7 hours ago, Eaglesone said:

Argyle's running game took 2 hits.......Byce and Farris.  Farris is banged up a bit......he's very good.  Having a Soph out there taking a brutal pounding all by himself is tough sledding at this level.  Made it much easier on the defense than with a more experienced back in there.  When Farris did get some runs in the first half......he chewed off some big gains.  But he had to come out of the game......not sure what his injury is......but they must have decided to rest him.  Scoggins certainly earned his indoctrination in this game, for sure.  I think he learned a few things too playing against a better level of defense.  Coach Rodgers said after the game the staff has some work to do to get this defense better with the backups in there.  So far the offense has carried the team......it's a very good offense when you have a seasoned RB in there.  They purposely did not pass much in the 2nd half to get Scoggins the playing time under difficult circumstances........Coach Rodgers knows his best alternatives at this point and made a choice based on alot of things we the fans are not privy to.

Stephenville was the real deal last night in that game.......totally a different team from earlier in the season and most of the season.  I think they finally came together with all the right stuff working together in the last 3 weeks.  If you watch alot of high school football, you could not miss the fact that their record did not reflect the quality of their team at this juncture.  It's not the first time, nor the last, that a team with an outstanding QB and quality skill players became a much tougher team by playoff time.  That linebacker Q. Walker played his tail off and was all over the field.  I don't know how many big plays he made......too many to count.  All in all.......it was a great test for Argyle and I'm glad to see they overcame such a fierce and unexpected set of circumstances, but still had to play thru the storm.  It can only help this team going forward.....any way you look at it.  What they faced last night......they really needed to face.  Now it's back to work getting ready for next week with even more resolve than before this game.

11 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Stephenville was the real deal last night in that game.......totally a different team from earlier in the season and most of the season.  I think they finally came together with all the right stuff working together in the last 3 weeks.  If you watch alot of high school football, you could not miss the fact that their record did not reflect the quality of their team at this juncture.  It's not the first time, nor the last, that a team with an outstanding QB and quality skill players became a much tougher team by playoff time.  That linebacker Q. Walker played his tail off and was all over the field.  I don't know how many big plays he made......too many to count.  All in all.......it was a great test for Argyle and I'm glad to see they overcame such a fierce and unexpected set of circumstances, but still had to play thru the storm.  It can only help this team going forward.....any way you look at it.  What they faced last night......they really needed to face.  Now it's back to work getting ready for next week with even more resolve than before this game.

Don't know if you saw my post in the Lumberton/Carthage thread but next week will be interesting for the eagles. Not sure they make it to Lavega 

Nobody's sure of anything in Region 2 this year........just too many really good teams and every single team left is capable of winning against any of the others.  There's no assurance LV can win against Celina tonight either.  It's just that kind of year in Region 2 and that kind of region.......stacked with quality teams.  Survive and advance......Carthage should know that watchword from seasons past.

I do know this.......championship-caliber teams know how to overcome adversity and still win somehow.  I'm hoping this season's Argyle team can continue doing what they do best......putting up the points.  It's been obvious all season that they will be giving up points to the better teams......sometimes your defense is good and sometimes your offense is more seasoned.  This year it's Argyle's offense that has all the outstanding players with only a handful on defense that started some games last year......that's just the way it is.  So you do what you do best and try to help out as much as possible while the defense continues to mature.  But then injuries happen and that throws another wrench into the works to an already "work in progress"  situation.  It's a week to week deal anyway in Region 2.......we all knew upfront that's what was gonna happen.

BTW......last week against Dallas Carter doesn't count......it was 49-7 at halftime and all the starters sat the entire 2nd half.  So don't look at those points given up as being anything but against backups.  It's the games against the really good teams like a Stephenville and others that matter.  The backups gave up  lots of points this season because they played alot.   Just so happens Argyle ran into some situations against a pretty good Stephenville team last night in the 2nd half......and they played very tenaciously to get the upset.  Gotta give it to that QB.......he was very, very good as their leader on offense.  Without him it would have not even been close.

3 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Don't know if you saw my post in the Lumberton/Carthage thread but next week will be interesting for the eagles. Not sure they make it to Lavega 

I think it makes good talk but I just got back from watching Brownwood/Alv and a run first team came back on one of the best defenses in the state from a 34-7 deficit in second half.

Brownwood may beat argyle 65-64 but giving up 35 to alvarado’s Offense does not bold well to them shutting down argyles offense.  Alvarado ran “I right 28 sweep” on 4th down and 20 on their first drive.  True story.  Let that sink in.

All those skill positions that play both ways will probably get tired.

LV just played Celina to the same score argyle did two weeks ago.

Just saying

12 minutes ago, Eaglesone said:

I think it makes good talk but I just got back from watching Brownwood/Alv and a run first team came back on one of the best defenses in the state from a 34-7 deficit in second half.

Brownwood may beat argyle 65-64 but giving up 35 to alvarado’s Offense does not bold well to them shutting down argyles offense.  Alvarado ran “I right 28 sweep” on 4th down and 20 on their first drive.  True story.  Let that sink in.

All those skill positions that play both ways will probably get tired.

LV just played Celina to the same score argyle did two weeks ago.

Just saying

And La Vega’s final score came on a pick-6. Celina’s defense held them to just one TD after the 21-0 first quarter.

Don’t get me wrong, La Vega was in control from the start. They’ve got some of the best team speed I’ve seen in a long long time. But I was very, very proud of the way the Celina defense handled themselves agains a crazy big and crazy good offensive line, blocking for a couple of guys that can get gone in a freaking hurry.

Carthage might steam roll their way to a title. Does anybody have as balanced and disciplined of a team as Carthage? I don’t think so. I honestly don’t. No team has a better defense. Nobody has a better coach. And nobody has better players. I think it’s obvious by now Carthage is the favorite. Some might say heavy favorite. LV and Argyle have too many holes. Carthage is good at pretty much everything. That’s just my opinion anyway. Who knows, might get beat next week. I just can’t see anybody in 4a beating this team. I think Carthage probably already beat the 2nd best team in 4a.

10 minutes ago, Eaglesone said:

What challenging match up does Carthage have in week 3?  You have played three decent teams this year.  District 7 fourth place team played one to 4 points and beat one.  The other one was a 7-4 first round exit in 5a.

Ok man. Whatever you say. Watch. Carthage is by far the best team. If you wanna crown SV, crown’em. Carthage has played more teams still in the playoffs than Argyle. Argyle gave up more points to a .500 SV team than Carthage did to their whole district. Let that sink in. Argyle is same as recent years. Won’t make it out of their region. Mark it down. 

9 minutes ago, Eaglesone said:

What challenging match up does Carthage have in week 3?  You have played three decent teams this year.  District 7 fourth place team played one to 4 points and beat one.  The other one was a 7-4 first round exit in 5a.

Like I said on Fox App, does it matter?  We get Crandall Fri in Tyler and we will beat them convincingly.

Just now, BulldogBacker12 said:

Ok man. Whatever you say. Watch. Carthage is by far the best team. If you wanna crown SV, crown’em. Carthage has played just as many teams as Argyle has that are still in the playoffs...2. Argyle gave up more points to a .500 SV team than Carthage did to their whole district. Let that sink in. Argyle is same as recent years. Won’t make it out of their region. Mark it down. 

Ok Carthage has played and will play as tough schedule as argyle has!  I am not the one on here talking about how great argyle is.