4A D1 Area Round: Waco La Vega (11-1) vs Celina (7-4), 7:30 p.m. Friday @ FW Chisholm Trail

fromabuick8

La Vega vs Celina  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• La Vega
    • Celina

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/23/2019 at 01:30 AM

Have these two ever played each other?

I think Celina is better than their record would indicate.  They have 4 quality losses (I know, I know...) and several quality wins.

I think it's a close one, with LV finally pulling it out by 10.  As a hs football fan, I'm happy to finally see these two programs square off.

I was surprised when Argyle played Celina.......they were so one-dimensional in their offense. The score was actually closer than the game was.......they somehow kept it close with Argyle moving the chains all night long.  Argyle had something like 468 yds total offense on the night, and right at 120 return yds. on kicks,  but only scored 30 pts.  As I recall, Argyle did drop some TD passes and settled for 2 field goals that night.......so that was one reason the 1st half was low-scoring.  It was the lowest scoring game for Argyle all season, but not the least amt. of yds. gained.  I guess their defense was good around the Red Zone, and as I recall this was the game that I thought the OC called too many running plays.  Even though Argyle did end up with 307 yds passing on the night.......one went for 70 yds. and the rushing game was somewhat stifled at 161 yds. on the night.

Celina has the defense to keep this thing close. La Vega will definitely be the most athletic team, overall, Celina has played this season. But I don't think the speed or athleticism will surprise the Bobcats. Argyle had plenty of both of those things, and the Bobcats may not face another individual as talented as Melissa's Brandon Lewis. The only problem here is Celina's offense. I've been waiting all season long for it to finally gel and take off, and it's just not happening. Against good teams, the Bobcats have been completely one dimensional, and have demonstrated a consistent inability to throw the football when needed. It's somewhat baffling, because we have the athletes at the skill positions, and a big, strong QB with a good arm who can throw the ball. I don't know if it's lack of creativity in play calling, a struggling offensive line, or what, but the passing game just hasn't been there against good teams. Which is a shame, because with the running back we have, all you need is a SLIGHT passing game, just the ever-so-subtle threat of a strike through the air, to open up some big, big plays for him on the ground. He's a tremendous athlete, a hard-nosed, determined runner, and he is a blast to watch. Unfortunately, without the threat of getting beat through the air, the good teams have been able to bring the house every single snap against the Celina offense, and have made life tough on Logan Point. He's still going to get his, just because he's that good, has that kind of strength and vision. But I just don't know if it's enough.

Again, the Bobcats have the defense to hang with La Vega, they really do. But the defense has just been getting worn out by the second half of games this season, because the offense just hasn't been able to sustain long, successful drives against the better teams.

I would say Celina has a decent defense against the run, and tried blitzes on Hogeboom most of the night to disrupt the passing game.  They did a pretty good job in the secondary against Argyle's receivers, but not near enough to prevent 18 completions for 307 yds.  I would say that La Vega should do quite well in this game against Celina.  I totally expect them to win by a wider margin than in the Argyle game.......more than 17  pts.  Argyle should have won by more too, but it stayed low-scoring......esp. in the first half.  I think La Vega will need to throw the ball to keep the Celina defense honest against stacking the line.  If the Pirates can complete some passes and score from the air, then they should pretty much control this game.

I'm not saying an upset is impossible. Because Celina is good enough to pull it off. But it'll take the defense's best effort of the season so far, and it'll take the offense showing something they just haven't shown this year.

But, I could sit here and spout out all kinds of nonsense and observations, and at the end of the day, it's still a bunch of teenage boys going out, having fun and playing a game. And with that being one of the variables, absolutely anything can happen. And regardless of results, I'm still proud of the Bobcats, and I'll be cheering them on come Friday night, and if they do what most people will say they can't do, I'll be first in line for the crow!

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

I would say Celina has a decent defense against the run, and tried blitzes on Hogeboom most of the night to disrupt the passing game.  They did a pretty good job in the secondary against Argyle's receivers, but not near enough to prevent 18 completions for 307 yds.  I would say that La Vega should do quite well in this game against Celina.  I totally expect them to win by a wider margin than in the Argyle game.......more than 17  pts.  Argyle should have won by more too, but it stayed low-scoring......esp. in the first half.  I think La Vega will need to throw the ball to keep the Celina defense honest against stacking the line.  If the Pirates can complete some passes and score from the air, then they should pretty much control this game.

Celina had Hogenboom out of sorts in the first half, especially late in the first half. He was yelling at his own players and coaches on the sidelines between series. And the Bobcats missed their own fair share of opportunities. In fact, they were inside the 10-yard line twice and came away with only two field goals, thanks to a pair of untimely penalties. If Celina had capitalized on those two chances and taken a lead into halftime, the game might have turned out differently. Argyle was the better team, there's no question, but the margin between the two wasn't as wide as I expected it to be, honestly.

2 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I'm not saying an upset is impossible. Because Celina is good enough to pull it off. But it'll take the defense's best effort of the season so far, and it'll take the offense showing something they just haven't shown this year.

But, I could sit here and spout out all kinds of nonsense and observations, and at the end of the day, it's still a bunch of teenage boys going out, having fun and playing a game. And with that being one of the variables, absolutely anything can happen. And regardless of results, I'm still proud of the Bobcats, and I'll be cheering them on come Friday night, and if they do what most people will say they can't do, I'll be first in line for the crow!

Maybe this is a better matchup for Celina than playing Argyle.  Argyle does throw the ball more than La Vega.....and has a more balanced offense.  And Celina does have a pretty good run defense that might be able to get some 3 and outs on LV  to keep them close.

Just looking at the games Celina has played, they seem to have fared better against teams that are more run-oriented.  I think it has something to do with the defensive scheme Celina is most comfortable with and plays the most.  Defense will be the key in this game for Celina......allowing your offense more opportunities to stay on the field and move the chains.  

I would say that La Vega has a more prolific scoring average than Celina for the season......against a pretty darn good schedule.  So Celina must put the kabash on some of that offensive firepower of the Pirates on defense first.......just to try to stay within a TD most of the night.

4 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Maybe this is a better matchup for Celina than playing Argyle.  Argyle does throw the ball more than La Vega.....and has a more balanced offense.  And Celina does have a pretty good run defense that might be able to get some 3 and outs on LV  to keep them close.

Maybe. We'll find out on Friday. Argyle is a great team, no doubt. But their ability to attack and hit in so many different ways eventually paid big dividends against the Bobcats in the second half. If La Vega is more run oriented, then I think that gives Celina a better chance. But containing the speed and athleticism of the Pirates will be no small task, no matter what formations they roll out.

1 minute ago, regaleagle said:

The main problem I see with this game is that La Vega can score from anywhere on the field very quickly with their speed at all the skill positions.......and I don't think Celina has that same ability and luxury.

You're right on there, regal. That's not something the Bobcats possess. They'd much rather keep the ball and grind out long sustained scoring drives. That's great in theory. But the problem there all season long has been, when the Bobcats inevitably get behind the chains on those drives, they've just not been able to utilize anything resembling a passing attack to overcome it, and it's led to turnovers on downs, or having to settled for three points instead of seven. Can't afford that against La Vega.

La Vega did play two cupcakes the last two weeks and won in blowouts, so they will have had 3 weeks to get any of their starters healthy.  Their game against Brownwood 3 weeks ago was somewhat tight......a  31-14 win......if you wanna call that close.  I'm not sure how that game transpired either......just not alot of information on the La Vega games.

Looking at the schedule and results, the Argyle game notwithstanding, it's pretty clear La Vega has a solid defense. Maybe not quite as elite as last year's unit, but among the best in the state, nonetheless. And, I'd say some of their opponents scores have come late in games with the reserves getting the majority of the snaps and the starters resting on the sidelines.

I'm fairly comfortable saying La Vega's defense is going to make life tough on the Bobcats come Friday night. But Celina has the toughness and the skill — especially at running back — to push back against that defense a little bit. This Celina team feeds on momentum, so hopefully they can come out Friday night and capture it early on, gain some confidence and make a game of this. Who knows, maybe they can pull off another what-in-the-world-type upset similar to what they did against Stephenville in the second round a year ago.

12 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

La Vega did play two cupcakes the last two weeks and won in blowouts, so they will have had 3 weeks to get any of their starters healthy.  Their game against Brownwood 3 weeks ago was somewhat tight......a  31-14 win......if you wanna call that close.  I'm not sure how that game transpired either......just not alot of information on the La Vega games.

In the Brownwood game La Vega was with out a starting wide receiver and running back.  Both scores came in the second half one on the starters and the other on the backups.  

1 minute ago, coachkells said:

In the Brownwood game La Vega was with out a starting wide receiver and running back.  Both scores came in the second half one on the starters and the other on the backups.  

So there ya go.......that tells the story on that game......it was well in hand at the half.

15 minutes ago, coachkells said:

I think after the lost to Argyle many people have written off the Pirates.  

Don't be ridiculous........NOBODY in the entire 4A Classification thinks that way.  La Vega is highly ranked for a reason.......and their numbers are just excellent. Everybody knows that the game against Argyle was an early season game that was close.  And everybody expects to see a rematch again in this region again this season between the two teams......just like I do.   I just hope the game can be played in dry conditions if the teams do have a rematch. That way......one team does not have an adverse advantage over the other due to style of play connected with the weather.  Last year's game was totally the very worst conditions you could expect for a Texas high school playoff game......even worse than snow.