Groveton vs. Joaquin @ Nacogdoches HS, 7p Friday

Reddog92

13 minutes ago, jorr2car said:

It will be interesting. 

Joaquin is coming off a big win and an absolute WAR with Alto while Groveton had a little bit easier time with Big Sandy.

How much did that war take out of Joaquin? Will they physical & mentally be able to do it again? Can they play that way back-to-back weeks? If any team can it will be Joaquin. 

Beginning of last week, I thought Alto was the 2nd strongest team in the region but Joaquin proved my wrong and after watching Groveton play i would put them on top of Alto too. 

Gonna be another WAR, better get ready!

I don’t know that Alto losing means they aren’t one of the top tier teams in the region. That was a game that swung on a couple of key plays that Joaquin made. Also, I think Joaquin coaches did a really good job in a couple of areas. Alto has had success all year running the football because they offset it with the pass. But, when you look at them on film, you see where a lot of teams were lacking severely in pass coverage. Joaquin gambled and manned up on the outside receivers, and I think limited them to one catch. LBs did a really good job jamming the TE at the LOS, and kept good coverage on him. For whatever reason, the QB was not able to get through his progressions and find the RB for an outlet. This led to a lot of 2nd and 3rd and long situations, which is not where you want to be. Our coaches also adjusted well to the loss of Gunner Nelson, by bringing Pritchett in at QB and moving Connor Bragg to the TB spot. There was no film of Connor at that spot this year. Long story short, I think Joaquin/ Groveton comes down to Joaquin getting everyone as healthy as possible. 

1 minute ago, BlueBlood99 said:

Just wondering why you believe a 2 loss team in Groveton allowing 21ppg would be better than Alto undefeated allowing 8ppg?

#1 because Alto did not play San Augustine so everybody's PPG on defense goes way up. Lol. I do think Alto's defense was better though.

#2 because I think Groveton's offense is better than Alto's in my opinion. 

#3 teams click at different times of the year and Groveton seems to be clicking on ALL cylinders right now.

I'm not here to argue. Bottom line is these are high school kids and you never know what you are going to get out of them from week to week. 

Good luck to both schools. Well deserved to be in the position you all are in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jorr2car said:

#1 because Alto did not play San Augustine so everybody's PPG on defense goes way up. Lol. I do think Alto's defense was better though.

#3 teams click at different times of the year and Groveton seems to be clicking on ALL cylinders right now.

I'm not here to argue. Bottom line is these are high school kids and you never know what you are going to get out of them from week to week. 

Groveton offense does look impressive..... I actually thought Groveton was right there with SA if not for the 3 pick 6 in the first half....... Don’t know if that says more about Groveton or SA though.......I just feel defense wins this time of the year and Groveton looks as if that isn’t their strong point...... not arguing with ya bro. Just discussing. I like to hear other points of view. I hope y’all banged em up for us a little bit

35 minutes ago, SloppyJoe said:

Guess the games get easier for Joe from here on

We ain’t gonna get that “light work” mentality that our previous opponent had. That attitude gets you a spot in the Apple Springs Invitational Basketball Tournament. Tru storie. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jorr2car said:

Very true. Joaquin liable to show up and hang 40 on Groveton and they are also liable to show up and have an awful game. Something tells me they show up though. 

5 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I think alto would beat the breaks off of groveton , just my honest opinion .. and the only 2 competitive teams groveton has played both beat them .. 🤔

How does this upcoming game play out in your opinion. You called Shelbyville upsetting Joaquin this year, you called out Tenaha for being over rated like week 2. You said Joaquin would best Garrison and you said Joaquin would beat alto. Curious to see what you think of this one